• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Here's a different question- Winchester 92

gregt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2010
Australia
Ok, I'd like to pick some brains here as there's bound to be a lever gun expert hanging around.

I have a Winchester 92 in 32-20 that I'm playing with at the moment. I'm going to make a 16" trapper style/takedown rifle out of it. The barrel is stuffed and I was going to fit a chopped down 30 cal barrel and sort out ammo to suit but I was told today that I can most likely change it to a 357.

It needs a barrel anyway, both cartridges are the same length, the 357 is around .030" bigger on the rim but I can machine the bolt face to fit that and the extractor looks like it will take it no problem.

I've been told I'd need to sleeve the firing pin hole and turn the firing pin down to a smaller diameter, that's not a problem to do. The mag tube is big enough to take the 357 and I can't see much else that would make it a hassle to do.

Is there something I'm missing here or is it do-able? It would be a much more useful rifle as a 357 plus ammo is half the price of 32-20 and easier to come by. Is the 32-20 model 92 as strong as the 357 version? this one is a 1913 model.

I'd really appreciate any info that some of you blokes are willing to share.

Cheers,
Greg

Re: Here's a different question- Winchester 92

That is a different question. Not sure about the details, but I do reccomend a PH scope for the project.
smile.gif

My initial response is that if it is still all original, don't F with it. Sell it if you want, but a decent M92 all original will fetch some good coin from a die hard Winnie collector.

That being said, back in the 60's, conversions of M92's to .357 Mag and .44 Mag were pretty common. The mods you mentioned were done and either barrels were replaced or rebored. If you choose to rebore, the best is Clearwater: http://www.deltagunshop.com/clearwater_reboring/index.html Jim Dubell bought LaBounty Precision from Cliff LaBounty and learned barrel making and reboring from the ground up. A rebored barrel preserves the correct look and markings of the piece.

Don't write off the barrel just yet though. A good friend bought a vintage 92 that had a "dark" bore. A little Wipeout and some carefully cast lead bullets and it shoots MOA or better with open sights (tang rear aperture).

So, don't go straight to surgery before making a complete diagnosis.

Thanks Doug,

This rifle is well and truly worn out in the barrel, I can drop a bullet into the end of it. It's a $150 orphan from the local gun shop which is why I started with it, I enjoy doing the machining work and this is going to be a bit of a "hot rod" project. If it was something collectable I'd restore it but I've seen a few for sale for not much more that look like much better rifles.

I had a shoot of a 30-30 trapper and it was good fun, with this I want something that my wife and daughter can shoot as well so the 30-30 is too much for them.

I'm in Australia so it's difficult to get the original barrel fixed, plus it's pretty rusted on the outside. If I can make it a 357 it will be quite useful plus I can use some 38 specils for the girls when they want a go.

rth1800, what's a PH scope?

Totally missed that you are in Oz. There used to be a dealer of "fine" firearms here in MS named Thad Scott who would go to Australia every year or two and come back with a container full of old Winchesters and Martini rimfires.

A 92 is plenty strong enough for the 357. The older ones, such as yours are also pretty slick as the action parts have polished each other over the years. Several acquaintances use the Remington 180 HP to take animals up to deer and the 38's will do great on smaller animals.

Fix her up and shoot it loose.

Greg, I had an old 92 in 44-40 converted to 45colt by Turnbull http://www.turnbullmfg.com/ They did an amazing job. Mine was run over by a truck and all broken and bent up. They were always helpful and nice to me and I am sure they would help you out too.

I have a saddle ring carbine that was re-bored and re-chambered to 357 Mag by Van Patton back in the '70's. I have never shot anything but cast bullets out of it. It is a fine little rifle.

This is the rifle I'm talking about, it looks a lot better in the photos than it does in real life:

IMG_1068.jpg

This is up a bit closer once I got it apart, lots of vice jaw marks, chewed out bolt heads etc:

IMG_1078.jpg

I cleaned up the action, removed the damaged screws and filed/sanded the marks out of it:

IMG_1081.jpg

Seeing it's a cowboy gun, I thought it needed a cowboy logo on it (it's actually a "vetruvian" cowboy wombat, a variation of the logo I use on some parts I make):

IMG_1096.jpg

I also installed a saddle ring, I'm left haded so it needed to be on the right side:

IMG_1095.jpg

I have a mate restoring the woodwork, he does a lovely job with Walnut. I'm going to cerakote the metalwork once I have everything finished as well.

I reckon it should be a cool little rifle when it's finished, being a 357 would really top it off so I think it's looking like the way to go.