• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Here's a tip that might be of some value to those starting out in the LD game.

rduckwor

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2011
AL, USA
At a match yesterday, I made a stupid rookie mistake that cost me 12 points:

12-15 mph winds yesterday, lots of shooters. I was spotting and scoring the shooter on the second, long distance stage. The MD came up as we finished up the shooter and told me "You're up, get it done."

I got my ducks in a row (jagged line as it turns out) and got on the rifle.

First target - 684 yds, dialed my dope, looked at the wind and sent it on it's way. Nothing. Spotter called "no help". Next three shots, the same. Wrote it off to wind. Next target, 851 yds. Same scenario, third target, 995 yds. same-o shit-o! Then it hit me: I had not re-zeroed my elevation from the first stage. Essentially I was dialed in to hit the damn space station.

Swallowed some crow, cranked down and then back up and got 3/4 on both the 1040 and 1060 yard targets. Twelve points evaporated into my stupidity on the first three targets.

Here's today's tips: 1. Don't let anybody rush you to start a stage. 2. Crank down to zero BEFORE you get off the mat for the prior stage.

Lesson learned.

RMD

I did almost exactly the same thing last weekend. Lesson learned - or so I thought. Dialed back down - Got rushed - then forgot on the next stage my rifle was back on zero with NO dope dialed. I missed first target way low. Realized immediately what I had done by lack of hold-over. Whatever your form, consistency is key!