• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Here's some 6 x 47 Lapua RL16 load data

scudzuki

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2012
Philadelphia suburbs
PTG match 6 x 47 Lapua reamer
Lapua 6.5 cases necked down to 6mm with .268" bushing (.002 neck tension)
FGMM primers
Hornady 105 Match HPBT
.020" jump
RL16 powder
80 degree day
I went from 38 to 41 grains with no bolt lift or primer indications of overpressure, no ejector swiping or coining into depressions on the bolt face either
measured with a Labradar based on one shot at each charge
38 grains velocity 2980 FPS @ 6 yards
41grains velocity 3215 FPS @ 6 yards
Not what I'd call extensive research but maybe someone will find it useful getting started

41gr ,that's fast!

What length barrel and what twist?

Lol, 41gr of it in a 6 creed is fast with a hybrid or 110 sierra, Lapua brass. Less capacity and more bearing surface of the hornady turd has me thinking hot.

Lol, 41gr of it in a 6 creed is fast with a hybrid or 110 sierra, Lapua brass. Less capacity and more bearing surface of the hornady turd has me thinking hot.

6x47 seems to like warm loads and that's what I've run for years. I'm looking forward to reports of brass life with the Lapua 6.5 Creed brass. How fast and what charge are the 110's going in your rifle?

6x47 seems to like warm loads and that's what I've run for years. I'm looking forward to reports of brass life with the Lapua 6.5 Creed brass. How fast and what charge are the 110's going in your rifle?

Again, another shit sammich, my freebore excessive, barrel to be set back 3/8" and rereamed, combo with tight neck, but 3120 flat shoots. Sentence deleted.
16 a higher energy powder, not sure if because of that, but properties of it point to faster than H4350

Last edited:
steve123
I got caught up in chasing notifications and gave false data, here is RL 16 in my 6 creed, it will change slightly with a setback and bullet into the case farther. Both charges shot tight groups at 500, the + going to 41.6gr

Attachments

• photo69878.jpg
    photo69878.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 72
I'm using a 28" too but 8 twist, so any load info you have is interesting to me. What OACL length do the Hornady's have?

COL with the Hornady 105s is 2.585".
Base to ogive at that COL is 2.052" for a .030" jump to the lands in my chamber (2.082" base to ogive) right after chambering.

Lol, 41gr of it in a 6 creed is fast with a hybrid or 110 sierra, Lapua brass. Less capacity and more bearing surface of the Hornady turd has me thinking hot.

All I have to go on is bolt lift and pressure sings on the base/primer, and they look okay.
The 6.5 x 47 L brass seems absurdly strong owing to the small primer pocket. The small flash hole is going to influence the apparent pressure on the primer for a given chamber pressure, too.

I went so far as to buy a Pressure Trace II about 6 months back but what is not pointed out in the literature for it is that it's impossible to glue the strain gage in the required location on the barrel on bolt action and semi auto (AR-15) rifles to get accurate useful data. The gages need to be place over the body of the chamber with the leading edge of the gage at least 1/4" back from the shoulder. This pretty much rules out getting accurate measurements on any of my firearms. Really it requires a special test barrel fitted to a receiver designed around providing access to the periphery of the barrel over the chamber. I'm not yet committed to the idea of making the fixture and barrels required to collect real pressure data, even if it's for the common good.

Is the Hornady 105 bullet really that bad? I use their .223 and .308 HPBTs and they have performed quite well for me, pretty much like their SMK counterparts. Midsouth had them significantly marked down when I ordered my FL die so I bought 500 (at 17c/ea) for my first foray into shooting 6mm. Am I wasting my time with these bullets? I only have access normally to 700 yards and haven't taken the 2 hour drive to shoot to 1K with any of my rifles but plan to once I get this rifle worked out. Running the numbers on JBM ballistics, 3100 FPS with the Hornady 105s shoots flat enough for me, but if there's some other problem with using them, I can buy some SMKs or maybe even Berger Hybrids.

Thanks.

All I have to go on is bolt lift and pressure sings on the base/primer, and they look okay.
The 6.5 x 47 L brass seems absurdly strong owing to the small primer pocket. The small flash hole is going to influence the apparent pressure on the primer for a given chamber pressure, too.

I went so far as to buy a Pressure Trace II about 6 months back but what is not pointed out in the literature for it is that it's impossible to glue the strain gage in the required location on the barrel on bolt action and semi auto (AR-15) rifles to get accurate useful data. The gages need to be place over the body of the chamber with the leading edge of the gage at least 1/4" back from the shoulder. This pretty much rules out getting accurate measurements on any of my firearms. Really it requires a special test barrel fitted to a receiver designed around providing access to the periphery of the barrel over the chamber. I'm not yet committed to the idea of making the fixture and barrels required to collect real pressure data, even if it's for the common good.

I was giving you a friendly heads up, I think 16 is either a higher energy, or faster powder than H4350. Sounds like you're dedicated to it though. I'm no stranger to hot loads and should relay my fiasco yesterday but will sit on the details, I needed to pull some way hot loads with new brass, well I grabbed some safety glasses and pulled them with my trigger finger, new brass just fired straight into the recycle bin.

I was just replying with a friendly explanation.
Like I originally wrote, I loaded up one of each charge weight for my first test to see how high I could go without destroying any more brass than necessary. I was pretty sure 41 was going to be hot, but being as there's no load data out there, and I need to know the window of charges I should be testing, I didn't see any alternative to pushing the limit.
I loaded up an OCW the other day and the top load is 40.2 grains. It gave me 3150 FPS and PRS rules have me looking for an accuracy node at least 25 FPS slower than that.

Is the Hornady 105 bullet really that bad? I use their .223 and .308 HPBTs and they have performed quite well for me, pretty much like their SMK counterparts. Midsouth had them significantly marked down when I ordered my FL die so I bought 500 (at 17c/ea) for my first foray into shooting 6mm. Am I wasting my time with these bullets? I only have access normally to 700 yards and haven't taken the 2 hour drive to shoot to 1K with any of my rifles but plan to once I get this rifle worked out. Running the numbers on JBM ballistics, 3100 FPS with the Hornady 105s shoots flat enough for me, but if there's some other problem with using them, I can buy some SMKs or maybe even Berger Hybrids.

Thanks.

Well since Berger reduced the BC rating on their 105 hybrid/used to be .547, I think you're fine with the Hornady. Heck I should try them since i'm about out of hybrids. Actually for the fun of it I want to try some 95 SMK's since I have some. 95's going 3300 should be fun.

PTG match 6 x 47 Lapua reamer
Lapua 6.5 cases necked down to 6mm with .268" bushing (.002 neck tension)
FGMM primers
Hornady 105 Match HPBT
.020" jump
RL16 powder
80 degree day
I went from 38 to 41 grains with no bolt lift or primer indications of overpressure, no ejector swiping or coining into depressions on the bolt face either
measured with a Labradar based on one shot at each charge
38 grains velocity 2980 FPS @ 6 yards
41grains velocity 3215 FPS @ 6 yards
Not what I'd call extensive research but maybe someone will find it useful getting started
My gun is shooting 3080fps at 37gns with the 105bthp, are you sure your numbers are right? 26" benchmark 1:7, br-4 primers and re-16.

My gun is shooting 3080fps at 37gns with the 105bthp, are you sure your numbers are right? 26" benchmark 1:7, br-4 primers and re-16.
Weighed with an A&D FX300i
Chronoed with Labradar.
My numbers are right, I keep careful records.
27" 1:7.8 K&P barrel.

Joe

Last edited:
Reactions: EasyGravy