• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Herters J9

desertrat1979

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2006
Southern NV
I have an opportunity to pick up a scoped Herters J9 in 300WM. It's in good shape, crown is good, stock shows use, but no cracks, and the price is $200. I did some research, its listed as a generic rifle, based off of the Yugo Mauser action. I am going to keep doing some research, and I was wondering if this is a half decent action. Not looking to shoot dots off of a dice or anything, just looking for an old rifle that can take some abuse. Anyone got any info they can share? I also intend to do handloads for this, so knowing if this action can deal with more modern handloads is also a plus. If not, I am not gonna bother.

200 bucks? I'd latch onto that. That'll barely fill up the Super Duty's fuel tank nowdays.... I never had any experience with their guns, but I've owned other stuff from them and it was always a good value for the price. I know they had larger companies make their products and put the Herter's brand on them, like Sears etc did with the Ted Williams guns.

The J9 can be a Zastavia (Yugo made) action or a Heym (German made) action depending on the era
the rifle was bought from Herters. Nothing wrong at all with a J9 and they are all solid milled steel
Model 98 Mauser actions and had accurate barrels. 300 Win Mag is hard on barrels so if its shot a lot,
you accuracy might be in question. However, I sort of doubt the b arrel is shot out as most owners
of 300 Win Mag (short of sniper rifle owners) are hunters and hardly shoot 300 rds in these rifles. They
tend to be sold or passed along and have great barrel life remaining. You are probably more at risk of
a dinged barrel crown than a shot out barrel. If I were to come upon a J9, I'd buy it and recrown barrel
which costs nearly nothing but does wonders for accuracy

I own a Herters J9 chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. It has a 25.5" target crowned barrel with no iron sights, a JP Enterprise Howitzer muzzle brake, a mercury recoil reducer and was stocked in Herter's top grade Presentation style. The trigger is a Timney, currently set to about 2 lbs 3 ounces, and the barrel is glassed and free floated. Because most older guns are valued as to their purety, the Herter's are considered mutts and therefore won't ever achieve the value of similar creations. Mine is an absolute tack driver and in fantastic condition for its age, and will make a wonderful heritage for my son in years to come. I haven't but could shoot this all day long with little effect on my shoulder. When I saw what was being asked for it, I nearly ignored it for other more prestigious brands. But it is well worth every penny. A word to the wise. If yours hasn't been shot much, the typical rough machining marks, especially in the interior action, benefit greatly from some judicious stoning. I had a bolt that would chatter when asked to move quickly, and a few passes over the bolt guides changed that completely. It simply would have taken too long to get that worn down with shooting usage.

Back before the 1960/1970's most gunsmiths were expected to be familiar with Mauser actions, and a large percentage of their work involved firearms based on the '98's action.

I own a Herters J9 chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. It has a 25.5" target crowned barrel with no iron sights, a JP Enterprise Howitzer muzzle brake, a mercury recoil reducer and was stocked in Herter's top grade Presentation style. The trigger is a Timney, currently set to about 2 lbs 3 ounces, and the barrel is glassed and free floated. Because most older guns are valued as to their purety, the Herter's are considered mutts and therefore won't ever achieve the value of similar creations. Mine is an absolute tack driver and in fantastic condition for its age, and will make a wonderful heritage for my son in years to come. I haven't but could shoot this all day long with little effect on my shoulder. When I saw what was being asked for it, I nearly ignored it for other more prestigious brands. But it is well worth every penny. A word to the wise. If yours hasn't been shot much, the typical rough machining marks, especially in the interior action, benefit greatly from some judicious stoning. I had a bolt that would chatter when asked to move quickly, and a few passes over the bolt guides changed that completely. It simply would have taken too long to get that worn down with shooting usage.
Do you happen to know which model of Timney trigger fit it? They have one for a 98 K and a 98 FN