• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing He's not much to look at...

esorensen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2008
Broomfield, CO
So yesterday on a whim, I decided to get a leftover doe antelope tag. I got permission from a local landowner and headed out this am, late in fact. Colorado allows for immature males to count as a doe tag. Either way, I couldn't pass up the broadside shot at 385. The 87 VMAX did it's job and he never took a step. There isn't a whole lot of meat on these things anyways, and there really isn't a whole lot on this guy. I'm sure it will taste great, which was the whole point. I was gone 5 hours with 110 miles drive as well. Pretty tough to beat that. He must have been quartering a bit as it went thru the off side shoulder so that is a loss. The kids can't wait for baby backstraps!
DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

DSC_0171.jpg

DSC_0172.jpg

DSC_0173.jpg

Re: He's not much to look at...

Looks like the Vmax did great! Gotta love the swingset meat pole. Nice work!

Hopefully that wasn't on the swing set too long maybe the kids would have aquired a new swing.....

Sorry I didn't give details. The Rifle is a .243 AR10T, shooting an 87 VMAX about 3200 at the muzzle. It hit with about 2400 fps and 1100 ft. lbs. My kids are proud of their dad's innovation! I should probably build a proper skinning pole though. I usually skin them outside on the swing set where it's close to the hose and then bring them into the garage where it's a bit cooler to hang for a short while.

By the way, props the gratefuldoug here on the hide for the screamin' deal on the Nikon d300s the above photos were taken with.

Nice shooting! its hard not to love antelope hunting. The last ones I shot were just like that; 100 mile drive, a couple hours to get 'em shot, and home by lunch. Looks like you did a great job. Oh and I love the swingset.

+1 on Doug at cameraland! he got me my Vortex Viper PST #00000000004

Good meat right there!! Nice shot!

Our antelope season opens up here this coming saturday....all of the rifles are shooting well!!

Hunting is about having fun and it looks like you did as well as getting some good eating.

+1 on the swing set.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Our antelope season opens up here this coming saturday....all of the rifles are shooting well!! </div></div>

Done with the antelope, but I'll be shooting Elk this weekend, I'll think of ya Pat
wink.gif

Have you shot many deer/antelope with the 87 V-max. I have kind of wondered about how they would perform in terms of penetration, but looks like they are capable of blowing right through a small shoulder blade.

Go get 'em buddy. Like that little Tonka toy in the sandbox. Is that yours or the kids?

No deer, just antelope. I wouldn't hesitate to stick one into the boiler of a mulie though. They do come apart just like the AMAX. It is predictable however. I have shot coyotes at close range and had no exit, but everything inside was mush. Shoulders on antelope are not a problem, nor are spines. In my opinion, they are good to go. Just realize, EVERYTHING has limitations.

By the way, I just grilled the backstraps and tenderloins from this guy. It cuts with a fork! A couple of New Belgium "hoptober" beers and I'm in heaven! It tastes sooo good!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Swingset meat hanger... LOL!! that shit is priceless! </div></div>

Been doin it for years, we added a boat trailer winch for ease.
Bearonswing.jpg

Nice job. As long as you are getting outside and having some fun it makes it all worth while. It beats eating tag soup too!

I've been one upped! A boat winch? That is serious stuff right there! I'm gonna have to get one of those.

My grandkids wouldn't give up their swing set, I had to use a tractor.

JD4020D.jpg