• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hey Everyone! New member here! Xavier from AZ

xcorella

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2022
Phoenix, AZ
Hey everyone just wanted to introduce myself to the hide! I have been shooting for a while now but mostly AR and pistol and recently I took an interest in long range! I am still building my setup and still getting used to the terminology and whatnot… It’s been a great journey thus far!
I want to ask the More experienced people for some advice, first I am on the Phoenix area and I wanted to know if anyone knows about any long-range ranges around or any tips on finding good shooting spots! I never shoot outdoors so this whole world is new to me but I am eager to hear the best tips and tricks y’all have and to listen to some of your stories!
Have a good one y’all!

Reactions: DustBun
Welcome for Australia. Good luck on finding a long range are to shoot. Im sure someone can point you in the right direction, however start at a range and get some more fundamentals and solid skills on how to use your scope / rifle setup.

Reactions: xcorella
Welcome for Australia. Good luck on finding a long range are to shoot. Im sure someone can point you in the right direction, however start at a range and get some more fundamentals and solid skills on how to use your scope / rifle setup.
Thank you! That’s the plan! and I’m trying to get knowledgeable before I even hit the range (still waiting on the rifle itself anyways to be honest)
good to meet you!

You didnt say what rifle you got. Whats your setup ?
I got a great deal on a Remington 700 sps tactical with the 20” heavy barrel, maybe not the best for for super long range but it was an amazing deal and could not pass it up. The glass is still TBD and open to recommendations, I will go around local shops on the weekend to see what I like the most but still open to suggestions (nothing super crazy though I’m still not sure how much I want to spend on a first scope)
what about you? What’s your setup?

For you, spend as much as possible on a scope. It will last for years and a bunch of people here on the hide will help hook you up with deals when they are available.

I run multiple rifles, depends what i want to do. One of my rifles is for PRS, full custom build. Hunting, long range, pistols. Love em all.

Whats "long range" to you ? 300m, 500m, 1000m ?? Quality bipod is really important.

For you, spend as much as possible on a scope. It will last for years and a bunch of people here on the hide will help hook you up with deals when they are available.

I run multiple rifles, depends what i want to do. One of my rifles is for PRS, full custom build. Hunting, long range, pistols. Love em all.

Whats "long range" to you ? 300m, 500m, 1000m ?? Quality bipod is really important.
Anything past 180 meters is uncharted territor for me, I really want to get into 500-1000m
amy good recommendations for a scope? something like 500m maybe to get my feet wet and maybe then I’ll just get another rifle and scope for longer ranges since the rem 700 20” is really not the best for anything over 700m from what I’ve heard and seen from others
what do you think?

Ive shot a 16" 308 to a mile, so it will work. No energy and took multiple shots, but is possible.

Scope. Dont over mag. Meaning dont focus on having a 50x magnification. 5-25x are generally good, or 3-18x-ish. Depends on application.

HideTV will have some videos soon, or look into some tech videos on shooting position and technique.

Distance to 1000. Trigger disipline, body position and follow thru. Ensure the gun if fitted to you. Length of pull, scope height, etc.

Ive shot a 16" 308 to a mile, so it will work. No energy and took multiple shots, but is possible.

Scope. Dont over mag. Meaning dont focus on having a 50x magnification. 5-25x are generally good, or 3-18x-ish. Depends on application.

HideTV will have some videos soon, or look into some tech videos on shooting position and technique.

Distance to 1000. Trigger disipline, body position and follow thru. Ensure the gun if fitted to you. Length of pull, scope height, etc.
A friend of mine is selling me his brand new vortex venom it is a 5-25x56mm, he’s had it for a while new in box but he bought it and got a new one the same day from his wife as a bday present that he uses more. He is selling it to me for $400, is it good glass I know a lot of people don’t like that it is made in China but, I’ve also heard good things about it. What do you think? It’s a good deal I believe but again I don’t know if there are other options to consider or maybe better glass with less magnification or something

A friend of mine is selling me his brand new vortex venom it is a 5-25x56mm, he’s had it for a while new in box but he bought it and got a new one the same day from his wife as a bday present that he uses more. He is selling it to me for $400, is it good glass I know a lot of people don’t like that it is made in China but, I’ve also heard good things about it. What do you think? It’s a good deal I believe but again I don’t know if there are other options to consider or maybe better glass with less magnification or something
Venom for the price are good. They are not a ZCO / TT / S&B / whatever, but good entry level. You get what you pay for. Mil. You want mil NOT MOA.

Just off the Hwy 8 there is a road called Vekol Valley road, it's just east of Gila Bend and west of Casa Grande.
Take the offramp and go south.
It's BLM land and there's plenty of space to shoot 2000 meters +++++ safely.
It's wide open, and legal, and free.
Google map it.

Just off the Hwy 8 there is a road called Vekol Valley road, it's just east of Gila Bend and west of Casa Grande.
Take the offramp and go south.
It's BLM land and there's plenty of space to shoot 2000 meters +++++ safely.
It's wide open, and legal, and free.
Google map it.
Would you mind if I PM you? I would really appreciate it, thanks!

Venom for the price are good. They are not a ZCO / TT / S&B / whatever, but good entry level. You get what you pay for. Mil. You want mil NOT MOA.
You know I see that a lot but possibly making the stupidest comment out there, the scope is MRAD, is that the same as mil? And also would you mind if I PM you?

You know I see that a lot but possibly making the stupidest comment out there, the scope is MRAD, is that the same as mil? And also would you mind if I PM you?
MRAD = Milliradian aka mil