• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hey fellas, help me out here...

HiDesertELR

Ecc 12:13
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2019
Way ahead of you
Wife and I want to buy an RV trailer, found one about 1500 miles from us in Alvin Texas...

Private seller.

What's the best way to facilitate the money / title transfer short of driving the two days and doing the hand-off in person?

Any one here near that area? Want to make some extra coin doing us a huuuuuuuuuuge favor?

Anyway, looking for any and all advice from the more experienced brethren here on the 'Hide. Thank you gentlemen.

You have to go get the RV right?

Or you will have it shipped?

There are escrow companies that you send all your shit to, the seller sends all their shit to, and the escrow company handles the rest. Couple hundred bucks.

Reactions: HiDesertELR
Yeah, the logistics of private sales are the stickler... Buying from a dealer is more piece of mind, but about $3k more after all is said and done. Might be a worth it, but this model is hard to come by.

Agreed, driving down for an inspection and towing it out of there to our Arkansas property is the cleanest solution. Taking a week off work right now is the problem.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
Yeah, the logistics of private sales are the stickler... Buying from a dealer is more piece of mind, but about $3k more after all is said and done. Might be a worth it, but this model is hard to come by.

Agreed, driving down for an inspection and towing it out of there to our Arkansas property is the cleanest solution. Taking a week off work right now is the problem.
I just google maped it from Alvin to Jonesboro Ar., about the furthest point from you. 9 hours, but if you hustle you could make it in 8. Take friday off, leave at O400 hours, be there around noon, have some good pit smoked brisket lunch, buy it and be back in Texarkana by dark. Home by noon the next day. Where's the problem? If you live closer even better.

1629753932092.png

Reactions: Yasherka
First thing you want to do is have them send you a copy or photo of the title, both sides. This makes sure they have a title and that their is no lien holders listed. If they have a title proceed to go. If you are comfortable and want to buy it sight unseen there are delivery services that can bring it to you. You can wire them money, they can sign off on the title and next day it to you.

First thing you want to do is have them send you a copy or photo of the title, both sides. This makes sure they have a title and that their is no lien holders listed. If they have a title proceed to go. If you are comfortable and want to buy it sight unseen there are delivery services that can bring it to you. You can wire them money, they can sign off on the title and next day it to you.
See, that's the gravy I was looking for...

Reactions: HeavyAssault
I just google maped it from Alvin to Jonesboro Ar., about the furthest point from you. 9 hours, but if you hustle you could make it in 8. Take friday off, leave at O400 hours, be there around noon, have some good pit smoked brisket lunch, buy it and be back in Texarkana by dark. Home by noon the next day. Where's the problem? If you live closer even better.

View attachment 7689949
We ain't even close, I'm in Tahoe area 🤣

Reactions: PCR
Yea if the title has a lien on it they need to find out if the lien holder ACTUALLY HOLDS THE TITLE...

Texas in the last year went E-Title, at least for automotive... what a goat fuck...

So I sold a truck that was financed through a local credit union. Guy pays cash, I drive my ass there Monday morning to get the title, they tell me "we no longer hold the titles, everything is e-title, so you pay it off, then we authorize the lien release to the state, then they send the title"... ok...how long does that take? "45-60 days"... steam then came out of my ears...and I had to explain to the lady that the new owner has 30 days to title the vehicle and they need the title to make that happen. Seems 2 people in Texas legislature didnt talk when they decided to authorize the state to do e-title and "up to 60 days to receive title" yet still required you to re-title the vehicle within 30 days... Fuck em, I sent the guy a new bill of sale and title transfer paperwork with a new date on it. Still had 6 months on the tags so he was good to drive it.

And what @AllenOne1 said about getting them to send you a picture of the title... LOL... good luck with that. I would NEVER send anybody a picture of a title...especially front and back... Im currently selling a Corvette and one guy asked for a picture of the title because I claim to have "title in hand"... I LOL'd at him and said "in no way shape or form am I sending you a picture of the title". He wanted it to get the VIN to run a carfax... I sent him a copy of the carfax instead LOL...

Yea if the title has a lien on it they need to find out if the lien holder ACTUALLY HOLDS THE TITLE...

Texas in the last year went E-Title, at least for automotive... what a goat fuck...

So I sold a truck that was financed through a local credit union. Guy pays cash, I drive my ass there Monday morning to get the title, they tell me "we no longer hold the titles, everything is e-title, so you pay it off, then we authorize the lien release to the state, then they send the title"... ok...how long does that take? "45-60 days"... steam then came out of my ears...and I had to explain to the lady that the new owner has 30 days to title the vehicle and they need the title to make that happen. Seems 2 people in Texas legislature didnt talk when they decided to authorize the state to do e-title and "up to 60 days to receive title" yet still required you to re-title the vehicle within 30 days... Fuck em, I sent the guy a new bill of sale and title transfer paperwork with a new date on it. Still had 6 months on the tags so he was good to drive it.

And what @AllenOne1 said about getting them to send you a picture of the title... LOL... good luck with that. I would NEVER send anybody a picture of a title...especially front and back... Im currently selling a Corvette and one guy asked for a picture of the title because I claim to have "title in hand"... I LOL'd at him and said "in no way shape or form am I sending you a picture of the title". He wanted it to get the VIN to run a carfax... I sent him a copy of the carfax instead LOL...
Excellent information good sir, thank you!

Thought you were in Ar.

"towing it out of there to our Arkansas property"

Except for being in Cali. Tahoe is a much prettier area, though.
Arkansas is the retreat from the nanobot-vaksed citiot morons... The Great Escape!

I have a feeling we'll be full time Arkansas residents before the end of the year the way shit is going.

Im off work Sunday-Wednesday next week. I live like 4 hours from there.

What kinda RV is it?

I got a tuesday appointment next week, but Sunday and Monday im free... Want to pay me some dollhairs and a hotel and ill do your deal. Ive been around RV's for a few years with my old man(air stream, 35' fifth wheel, 40' class A diesel)...

I dont have a truck to tow shit with, but if its a Class C or Class A, im qualified to fly Boeing 747 and 737 aircraft, and I got hours of seat time in my old mans 40' diesel Class A... like driving a fucking house, but in the wind you drive it like an airplane...with a crab...

Good information on the e-title that could make things a lot more interesting for sure. I can assume you don't sell vehicles to dealers because everyone that I have dealt with wanted to see the title copies before the deal got rolling. After they saw the copies they were good to go. I think their biggest deal was that you had a title in your hand so they didn't get caught having to fool around getting a duplicate.

What kinda RV is it?

I got a tuesday appointment next week, but Sunday and Monday im free... Want to pay me some dollhairs and a hotel and ill do your deal. Ive been around RV's for a few years with my old man(air stream, 35' fifth wheel, 40' class A diesel)...

I dont have a truck to tow shit with, but if its a Class C or Class A, im qualified to fly Boeing 747 and 737 aircraft, and I got hours of seat time in my old mans 40' diesel Class A... like driving a fucking house, but in the wind you drive it like an airplane...with a crab...
I love this place, thank you man.

It's a 37' trailer.

Just might take you up on that offer...

I love this place, thank you man.

It's a 37' trailer.

Just might take you up on that offer...

I wouldnt mind running down and looking at it for you at a minimum. Can take as many detailed pics as you want. Test whatever you want.

Good information on the e-title that could make things a lot more interesting for sure. I can assume you don't sell vehicles to dealers because everyone that I have dealt with wanted to see the title copies before the deal got rolling. After they saw the copies they were good to go. I think their biggest deal was that you had a title in your hand so they didn't get caught having to fool around getting a duplicate.

Sold, well traded, lots of cars to dealers. I get bored easily. Ive had 6 cars in the last 18 months. Never had one give 2 shits what title status was. If the vehicle was on a loan, the dealer knows the title is at the lien holder or the state. And showing a dealer a title because you are selling/trading a car is different than sending a picture to "Barry G. Smallcock" on the internet... Get me a picture of a title that I can then recreate on my computer and ill show you a repo man who will go get my new shit...and a dealership who will cut me keys based off a VIN on a title... And whats REALLY fucked up is DEALERS are not subject to any time limit on titling issues. They GENERALLY issue a 60 day temp tag, but if there ends up being title issues, they will just issue you more temp tags.

What kinda RV is it?

The Hide rocks once again.

Texas has some weird ways.

When you move to Virginia you go to the DMV and get your new DL, registration, and title in about 30 minutes. When I tried that in Austin years back I had to go to 3 different place, one for title, one for DL, and none for the title. If you know anything about Austin you know what a major PITA that is, not to mention every non English speaking person who takes 2 hours because they need someone to baby them through every little step of the process.

Selling my Travel Trailer to a guy in OK, I'm in VA. I had a lot of pictures in the ad, then we did a 50 minute Facetime call where I showed him everything. I pointed out every flaw, answered every question. His bank is wiring my bank the money, and the bank will notarize the bill of sale. Pretty easy process so far.

RVs aren't something I'd trust someone else's opinion on. If this is THE ONE, make the drive. It's your money, do you really want to trust someone ele's opinion on something like an RV. They can have hidden issues as with all things made from plywood.

Im in Houston, about an hour drive frm my part of town... The next day I could get out there is next Sunday afternoon... Don't know shit about RVs, no way to pull...Could get pictures, look at overall condition/smell, view the title vs driver's license vs physical address.

• Love
Im in Houston, about an hour drive frm my part of town... The next day I could get out there is next Sunday afternoon... Don't know shit about RVs, no way to pull...Could get pictures, look at overall condition/smell, view the title vs driver's license vs physical address.
Yeah, believe it or not, definitely worried about the smell factor bigly...

That'd be freaking awesome, I'll keep you posted.

When my wife asked me how we're going to do this, I told her I "know" the most solid group of guys I've never met...

And y'all have proved it, in spades. Thank you 'Hide.

Ok, back to ranting and railing against the machine!