• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hey Shorty...

TommyD11730

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
Through the "magic" of reloading this season I have produced a few "short" cases. By short I mean to say a few tho short in both overall length and on the shoulder. (Vs say the other 75 cases I shoot on a regular basis)
So these cases have sat in the "nope" box. But now I'm wondering.... if I load them up and shoot them (how else am I going to get them to grow?) what should I expect?
For reference it's 223 @ 200Y and the rifle groups around .9"s at that distance.
Is it worth burning components just to get some growth on them?
Thanks!

Whats a few?

Id just trash them. You spent more time asking the question than they are worth.

And it isnt magic, you did something.

Reactions: TommyD11730
Pull them if still using the same components and scrap the brass. Depending how far you oversized them and your chamber, you can end up with a case separation.

Through the "magic" of reloading this season I have produced a few "short" cases. By short I mean to say a few tho short in both overall length and on the shoulder. (Vs say the other 75 cases I shoot on a regular basis)
So these cases have sat in the "nope" box. But now I'm wondering.... if I load them up and shoot them (how else am I going to get them to grow?) what should I expect?
For reference it's 223 @ 200Y and the rifle groups around .9"s at that distance.
Is it worth burning components just to get some growth on them?
Thanks!
How much are you supposed to bumping the shoulders and by exactly how much did you exceed that measurement in the oversized cases?

Also what’s the overall length of the short rounds <insert Temple of Doom joke here> compared to the rest?

ETA: how manu firings on those cases?

Im wondering if you really have case head separation risk or if they may still be safe to shoot…

Last edited:
Reactions: TommyD11730
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm at work currently so I'll get you the measurements later tonight.
It's low fired Lapua cases. Under 5 fireings.

OK guys here are the numbers as measured with my caliper and SAC comparitors.

Virgin brass. 1.751 overall
1.407 base to shoulder

I resize to. 1.763 overall
1.409 base to shoulder

Suspect cases 1.749 - 1.761 overall
1.405 - 1.410 base to shoulder

Mind you this is 15 out of 150 lot of brass I started firing 2 years ago. The remaining pieces are pretty consistent with each other.

You could squeeze the shoulder with a pair of pliers while spinning the case so you get an even amount of brass flow which will pop the shoulder forward. Then resize for .002” shoulder bump. Use those as foulers initially.

You are fine.

To some people .020 = a “few” thousandths

Well the proof is in the shootin'. :)
200Y 3" target. 15 rounds. Pretty bad. Granted I might have been slapping the trigger some to "get it over with".

On a happy note pre resize they are now (shoulder) the same length of their brothers. So that's a good thing. :)

Attachments

• 20221204_121748.jpg
    20221204_121748.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 13
Their brothers. 5 @ 200Y. Yeah... I might have cherry picked that group. 😆

Attachments

• 20221204_121755.jpg
    20221204_121755.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 13