• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hey you realtor guys

In my opinion the internet rendered realtors useless in about 90% of transactions. Some of the larger land deals with tons of moving parts and pieces, I get it. My family is 4-0 on selling our homes ourselves. Basically a paralegal, the title company, and a buy/sell. Over 4 homes worth over a million combined...we saved a shit ton of money.

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI
wouldn’t it be better to take contract advice from a lawyer?

A run of the mill attorney can write up a contract, but I'd bet it's something he got off line. Probably not in your best interest. If you're complaining about what a real estate agent makes, go ahead and hire a real estate lawyer to handle your transaction.

Who are you going to hire as your title company? You do know that deed fraud is "THE" up and coming criminal enterprise?

You folks do realize that agents are licensed and bonded. There are classes they must take, plus continuing education classes after they are licensed. All that after taking an exam to just become an agent.

As someone who’s been on both ends of that, be a ton easier if I could just talk straight to the owner/buyer

As a past real estate agent and rental properties owner, talking to the selling home owner is a BAD idea. Your job to buy the house as low as possible, the seller job to to sell it for as much as possible.

Do you really think you will be able to come to an amicable settlement on price? The agents are there to buffer the 2 parties and to talk some common sense to their party.

A run of the mill attorney can write up a contract, but I'd bet it's something he got off line. Probably not in your best interest. If you're complaining about what a real estate agent makes, go ahead and hire a real estate lawyer to handle your transaction.

Who are you going to hire as your title company? You do know that deed fraud is "THE" up and coming criminal enterprise?

You folks do realize that agents are licensed and bonded. There are classes they must take, plus continuing education classes after they are licensed. All that after taking an exam to just become an agent.

I looked into slinging homes on the side, as well as yachts, back when I had more free time, honestly it’s less involved than beauty school

Paying a lawyer, I can stomach a little more, as it takes a wee bit more than a quick online class to pass the bar.

I’d also take legal advice from a relator about as much as the chick who cuts my hair, especially seeing the girl who cuts my hair went to school longer and passed harder tests compared to the relator lol.

Reactions: oneshot86

Let’s not pretend that the licensing process is overly difficult or complex, reserved only for the best and brightest….that said, a great agent will make you money, a mediocre one will make you wonder why you needed “help”

What incentive would an agent have to show your unlisted house to a perspective seller like yourself? Where is his and his broker's commission coming from?
You act like an agent can refuse to show a house to his customer that wants to see it.

I guess he could refuse in which case I would boot his ass right to the curb.

Last edited:
You do know the deal can be negotiated? Some will want 7% to list, others 5% and some as low as 3.5%, but they all will negotiate with you. The nicer the house, the quicker the sale, means they make their money faster.
If you read what I posted. I said from the start that I would pay him 5%. He then showed up to my house wanting an explanation as to why I was trying to take money out of his pocket.

We had our house listed in the spring. We had an offer over listing in less than 3 days. Only reason we didn’t sell is that we could not find a house we could by within the time frame we had.

What incentive would an agent have to show your unlisted house to a perspective seller like yourself? Where is his and his broker's commission coming from?
The house was listed with MLS.

I don't remember the details but the buyer did have a realtor and we paid them a fee, I think it was 2%.

Some of you have a real bug up your ass about Realtors.
Not a fan of lumping an entire profession into sluts and airheads.
If you are going to try and sell FSBO you have to invest time.
You will need to price the home properly. Not easy. And possibly lost $$
You will need to have exposure, most often through the local MLS system or you will miss a large segment of buyers.
You will need to show the home in a professional manner.
You will need access to a title company to help with the legal portion of the transaction, and perhaps help writing a proper offer.
You will likely also have to navigate contingencies like home inspection, sale of buyers home and financing.
Assuming the buyer is not paying cash you will need to get the Appraiser in and hope like hell it values out in this crazy market, or you may get to start over.
I deal with many Realtors, like any profession some are A+ and some are D-
the local MLS system
^^^^^ this is the problem

If you want buyers to be shown your property, you pay the <s> mobster </s> Realtor to get it into MLS, period.

it would be more accurately described as "Racketeering"

You'd also better pay "the right Realtor" because they blacklist each other and poach clients and do kickbacks with appraisers and title companies.

"If you don't let my dad do the home inspection (so he can get the bid for the remodel) I won't cooperate with your Broker (who just happens to be their Broker's boss) and you can let the deal go up in smoke while we refuse to release escrow on a dead deal so you can find another buyer."

Is it illegal, of course.

The State wants Realtors to be licensed by this "private company" so you can pay for their certifications.

The AZ Department of Real Estate (AZDOR) is headed by the former President of the MLS.....

Every MLS contract indemnifies the Realtor, the Broker and the MLS.

The AZDOR, in response to a public records request, had "no records responsive" to a PPR seeking "All forms and contracts reviewed by the AZDOR for compliance with statute."

tl;dr

fox --->henhouse

Caveats:
#1 location location location

#2 time is of the essence

#3 whoever talks first looses

So you can list your home on the local MLS???
Perhaps not. Didnt think of that, but with all the social media opportunities it might not be necessary.

My home is worth +/- 300K. 6% of that is 18K. Even if it cost me $1000 for and appraisal, $5oo for an attorney at closing, and another 1.5K in various costs, and took a month longer, $15K for a month is a good pay check.

Maybe there is a way to list in oont the MLS, its worth looking into.

How about the Buyer paying the Buyer's Broker commission if they got suckered into signing a Buyer's Broker Agreement?

Generally speaking Dual Agency and purchasing from the Seller's Broker, no I didn't say "agent", "Broker.

Let's talk desk fees and flat broker commissions to co-brokers, of their half, of their half (which in a flat fee situation is only $100 - $500 in many cases)?

All of a sudden the "rainmaker" who runs the office isn't the one getting the bulk of the commission, it's the "selling / buying broker" in a "dual agency" deal.

I just closed two apartment buildings painlessly, my Broker got 100% of the transaction and obviously his commission was built into the selling price.

It's the seller's responsibility to know what what they're selling is worth to them right now.

It's never been easier than now to do comps, no fucking around requesting farm lists from title companies and then having to curb and vet property condition in a car.

[sarc]Thank God Al Gore invented the internet where GooGoomap is your bestest friend ever! [/sarc]

Yes. The last time I did it, the cost was $100.

I don't remember the details but the buyer did have a realtor and we paid them a fee, I think it was 2%.

Don't you mean you "paid for the use of some brokers license" to list your property in MLS?

EG Help-you-sell?

MLS rules prohibit non-members from using their system.

Perhaps not. Didnt think of that, but with all the social media opportunities it might not be necessary.

My home is worth +/- 300K. 6% of that is 18K. Even if it cost me $1000 for and appraisal, $5oo for an attorney at closing, and another 1.5K in various costs, and took a month longer, $15K for a month is a good pay check.

Maybe there is a way to list in oont the MLS, its worth looking into.
^^^ No, there isn't.

What would be the point of a "monopoly" if you couldn't monopolize the entire market? ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Maggot
Don't you mean you "paid for the use of some brokers license" to list your property in MLS?

EG Help-you-sell?

MLS rules prohibit non-members from using their system.

^^^ No, there isn't.

What would be the point of a "monopoly" if you couldn't monopolize the entire market? ;)
Fair enough. The internet has to be hurting them though, its killing the big malls and a lot of the big chain stores like Sears, Penny's etc. Best buy seems to be making it work, and wally World with their chinese garbage.

Fair enough. The internet has to be hurting them though, its killing the big malls and a lot of the big chain stores like Sears, Penny's etc. Best buy seems to be making it work, and wally World with their chinese garbage.
The internet isn't hurting the RealEstateMob, it's been their bread and butter for decades.

Maybe try loopnet, at least you don't have to be a realtor and can simply offer a buyer's broker commission.....

Real Estate, they're not making any more of it.....

At least it's tangible, if not liquid.

Try living in your stock portfolio sometime....;)

The internet isn't hurting the RealEstateMob, it's been their bread and butter for decades.

Maybe try loopnet, at least you don't have to be a realtor and can simply offer a buyer's broker commission.....

Real Estate, they're not making any more of it.....

At least it's tangible, if not liquid.

Try living in your stock portfolio sometime....;)

Thats exactly why I won real estate and not stocks.

Easy Jim....31 years in the Appraisal business and have never been approached for a "Kickback" from any lender, or Realtor. One refinancer who was underwater, but I declined and left (more of a bribe offer).
Very few professionals will risk a lucrative career over one assignment.
Appraisers work for management companies that seperate the lender from the appraiser in most cases.
The Realtor, buyer or seller or homeowner have no say in the Appraisal process.
Appraisers get paid regardless of the Value stated.

Reactions: MJF