• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision HHV vs Ops Core Bump Question

Namekagon

Oracle of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2018
Wausau, WI
So I’m trying to decide between these two helmets. My thought is HHV has the advantage of better pads, metal shroud, and much better price. However Ops Core has a dial system harness, HHV does not. I’m not sure if this is a good thing or not. In pictures the Ops Core system looks pretty much like a construction hard hat suspension system with a couple thin pads on top. That doesn’t look nearly as comfortable as the HHV system, but I could imagine the dial adjustment might lock the Ops core onto my head better, and maybe require less tight of a chinstrap. I’m guessing the HHV might need the chinstrap tighter to be sturdy? HHV does also have the cool magnetic buckle. I have a hard time justifying $330 for a plastic bump helmet, but if Ops Core is worth it I will.

My purpose for the helmet is use as a platform for a PVS -14 and an illuminator for hunting. Don’t have the optic yet, and this is my first helmet.

So what do those with experience think? Is the Ops Core dial system worth ignoring the other shortcomings of the fast bump (high price, poor pads, plastic shroud) or will the HHV harness be just fine for my use?

I‘ll add that I’m not really interested in buying anything from Team Hillary. Stupid principles...

Last edited:
Reactions: Dvlray6
I'd say that if you go ops core its mandatory to buy the tnvc pad upgrade. That helmet is not comfortable at all. With the upgraded pads, wow it's all I need.

I like that you disqualify Team Wendy for political reasons but have no problem buying a helmet that’s made in China (HHV).

Reactions: DoubleHaul
Its an American company that sources American and foreign materials and contracts with Chinese manufacturing to produce the product. Is that ideal? No. But they are up front about it. Whether or not China plays fair in the world economy (they don't) is a problem that needs to be fixed, but that isn't HHV's fault.

Team Wendy supporting an anti-2A, pro weapons ban candidate IS their fault. They clearly don't care about my ability to defend myself, so why should I buy self defense items from them? I wasn't trying to stir any political pots, just saying I'm not interested in TW stuff right now.

Edit to add: For the record, politics wasn't the only reason I was turned off by TW. I've read that their accessory rails only work with TW stuff, and they only have black and tan colors, and they are as expensive as the Ops Cores. Small things that aren't deal breakers, but negatives nonetheless.

Last edited:
Its an American company that sources American and foreign materials and contracts with Chinese manufacturing to produce the product. Is that ideal? No. But they are up front about it. Whether or not China plays fair in the world economy (they don't) is a problem that needs to be fixed, but that isn't HHV's fault.

Team Wendy supporting an anti-2A, pro weapons ban candidate IS their fault. They clearly don't care about my ability to defend myself, so why should I buy self defense items from them? I wasn't trying to stir any political pots, just saying I'm not interested in TW stuff right now.
And I don’t care what you do. You could wear a Nazi helmet for all I care. I just wasn’t sure you were aware of HHV’s sources. I assumed that would have been a disqualifier.

And I don’t care what you do. You could wear a Nazi helmet for all I care. I just wasn’t sure you were aware of HHV’s sources. I assumed that would have been a disqualifier.
I appreciate the heads up on their product sources. Truth is I had originally shied away from HHV due to foreign manufacturing and settled on the Ops Core until I saw pictures of the inside of the HHV bump, and that it used the same pad system as their ballistic version, which looks really nice.

I frequently spend more money to buy made in USA for equal products, but I don't like to sacrifice features at the same time. The padding in the HHV looked so superior in the pics I saw, it made me question the value of the Ops Core, especially considering price. That's why I started looking hard at retention systems, because the OC dial system was the only feature I thought might worth the trade-offs.

I'd love to hear them. What did you think of the harness on the HHV?
The harness and especially the buckle is the tits. Every single helmet mfg should take a hard look at hhv retention buckle. Magnetic captured latch that is easy to undo and buckle but can’t come loose. It’s simply genius

Reactions: Namekagon
I saw a video about the buckle and it definitely looked pretty cool, good to hear it’s as good in practice as it looks.

So I’m trying to decide between these two helmets. My thought is HHV has the advantage of better pads, metal shroud, and much better price. However Ops Core has a dial system harness, HHV does not. I’m not sure if this is a good thing or not. In pictures the Ops Core system looks pretty much like a construction hard hat suspension system with a couple thin pads on top. That doesn’t look nearly as comfortable as the HHV system, but I could imagine the dial adjustment might lock the Ops core onto my head better, and maybe require less tight of a chinstrap. I’m guessing the HHV might need the chinstrap tighter to be sturdy? HHV does also have the cool magnetic buckle. I have a hard time justifying $330 for a plastic bump helmet, but if Ops Core is worth it I will.

My purpose for the helmet is use as a platform for a PVS -14 and an illuminator for hunting. Don’t have the optic yet, and this is my first helmet.

So what do those with experience think? Is the Ops Core dial system worth ignoring the other shortcomings of the fast bump (high price, poor pads, plastic shroud) or will the HHV harness be just fine for my use?

I‘ll add that I’m not really interested in buying anything from Team Hillary. Stupid principles...
I will never buy anything more from TW for the same reasons. I buy Ops Core now. Much happier that my money is not going to take away my rights.

OP - what did you end up getting. I’m trying to decide between these two for the same reasons. If HHV had the dial I would have already gotten one.

That was my thought on HHV also. It seems they used to have a dial system. I ordered the HHV, though I don't have it yet so I can't say if that was a good choice or not. TNVC had Ops Core in stock. If the Ops Core had come with a conventional metal shroud OR better pads, I'd have sprung for it. But I couldn't justify paying $120 more and giving both those things up vs HHV.

The hhv is much more comfortable. It’s doesn’t need the boa or dial system in my experience. The shroud is also better along with the buckle retention. You’ll like it

Reactions: Namekagon
Any downsides to the mlok rails on the hhv? Doing a quick search it looks like there may be less helmet accessories or availability for these?

What accessories beyond a light do you need?

I've got a vis/ir surefire on one side and a low power princeton ir/vis red nav light on the other

And you can mount ops core amp arms for your earpro on the HHV. If you want rifle protection they have an up-armor plate you can install, if you work in MIL/LE and need riot shields they have one that will mount to the helmet.

If you want a dial harness just buy that and install it on the HHV.

The 4D pads you can get off Ebay for $60. are a good upgrade for any helmet.

Any downsides to the mlok rails on the hhv? Doing a quick search it looks like there may be less helmet accessories or availability for these?
No. Anything you need can be mounted to picatinny rails these days so it’s better to me

Reactions: Rerun7