• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hi everyone and what to do now?

mfast10

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2012
Northeast Florida, USA
Hello everyone! This is my first post but I have been lurking, reading, and learning for quite a while. Anyway, I had bought a new Savage stainless steel varmint short action not long ago with the intention to build (myself) a .260, 6.5 Creedmoor, or a .308 rifle. Well for quite a while I had wanted a new Winchester M70 Stealth but when I had the money I couldn't find one in .308 b/c they had stopped being made several years ago. Just when I was about to buy a barrel for my Savage action, I found a brand new Stealth almost by accident and as anyone can guess, I jumped on it. Now it sort of seems like the Savage action is pointless as the appeal for a .260 or 6.5 is not there.

If it was not a short action I would build a 30-06 rifle. Right now I am debating selling the action and starting a 30-06 build as I will eventually build one anyway (sentimental reasons). My question is, are there any suggestions on what else to do with the stainless Savage short action? Oh and just fyi, any rifle I will build or buy will only be used at the range and do not reload at the moment but want to start eventually. I just don't have the space or time right now.

Re: Hi everyone and what to do now?

my question would be...

what is the intended purpose of this rifle?

Yes, it will be a benchrest shooter for the range. Weight will not be an issue as it will only be lugged from my car to an open spot at the range.

I guess the question is whether you have a roll to fill in your shooting that is not well covered by the M70. If so, think about what that role is, and build a gun fill that role.

If not, sell the action and invest the money towards a reloading setup or a bunch of ammo and get shooting.