• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hi from Switzerland

F4b

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2022
Switzerland
Hello everyone! I mostly shoot air rifles and I came across this forum while looking for feedback about some scopes. I'm new to long range but I'd like to learn about it, I recently bought a cool old Hämmerli Stutzer in 7,5x55 Swiss. Cheers

Amazing what air rifles are capable of these days......

How have the new EU laws effected your ability to go to the local range with your issue rifle and get some smokeless powder propellant time?

Lived in Geneva back in 1989 for 15 months beautiful place.

Reactions: F4b
There are fans of your countries products here.....

@zfk55sr is knowledgeable in your cartridges.

Reactions: F4b and rlsmith1
@buffalowinter

You know anything about this, how you say, Hammerli Stutzer?

The Stutzen Rifles- Berg, Bolt, Feuer, Ischler and Pirsch​

By Larry B. Schuknecht
Editors note: The following information is very basic and I am sure incomplete. It is presented as a primer on the subject and if any reader has additional information or observes any errors please let me know and I will change things accordingly.
By definition a Stutzen is a short rifle or carbine. This catagory of rifles includes several varieties that are differant in both style and construction. Each of these will be elaborated on seperately to the best of my ability. A Stutzen rifle is also often referred to as a Stalking rifle and as a class are of lighter weight.
The Bergstutzens:
These are short, light weight break action over-under rifles (sometimes also seen in a side by side cofiguration) which have two differant calibers, meant for hunting where both small or large game may be encountered. They are a specialty of several Austrian makers and are most popular there where they are used by hunters in the mountains.

img772.jpg
A over-under Bergstutzen made by J. Outschar’s Sohn in Ferlach in 1985. It is in 7 x 65R and 5.6 x 50R caliber. Photo courtesy Joh. Springer’s Erben.
img773-1024x646.jpg

img770.jpg
This is a hammer side by side Bergstutzen made by Josef Just in Ferlach before 1995. It is in calibers .270 winchester and .222 remington Magnum. Photo courtesy Joh. Springer’s Erben.
Bolt Action
The bolt action Stutzens are a short repeating rifle typically with a full length stock that reaches all the way to the muzzle. The Mannlicher-Schönauer is the most often seen make although Mauser also made a model in this configuration. In America any rifle with a full stock are referred to as a Mannlicher even though they may not be made by Mannlicher-Schönauer.

img774.jpg
This is a Mannlicher Schönauer model GK in .30-06. Image is courtesy of Joh. Springer’s Erben
100_4244.jpg
This Bolt Action Pirschstutzen was made by Imman. Meffert and features several interesting features. To see more click Here.
Feuer Stutzen
According to Cassell’s new Compact German Dictionary the definition of Feuer is Fire, ardour, passion. The Feuer Stutzens are single shot rifles meant for informal target shooting. They often have target type sights, a finger rest type lever, and are chambered for the 8.15 x 46R cartridge.

img789.jpg
A Feuerstutzen made by Richard Marholdt of Innsbruck around 1900. Image courtesy of Joh. Springer’s Erben.
Ischler Stutzen
In the mid 19th Century
a gunsmith by the name of Wolfgang Leithner of Ischl, Austria developed a large bore muzzle loading percussion stalking rifle. Ischl happened to be the location of Emperor Franz Joseph I favorite hunting lodge. The Emperor was an ardent hunter and embraced the Leithner rifle as his favorite for hunting in the Alps. It was as previously stated a large bore (approximetely .55 to .58 cal.) rifle with a finger rest trigger guard, full length stock, and a short overall length.

Aust.-Emporer-Franz-Joseph-and-Krownprinz-Rudolph.jpg
The younger Emperor Franz Joseph I with his young son Crown Prince Rudolf. Franz Joseph I is holding his favorite Ischler Stutzen
1c.png
A Ischler Stutzen made by Wolfgang Leithner and in the Kunst Historisches Museum in Wien (Vienna)
When the self contained cartridge became successful in the early 1870’s Wolfgang Leithner began building single shot break action rifles along the same lines with the full length stock, an octagon barrel, and lock up with an under lever. Other gun makers soon followed and the Ischler type became standard with either an under lever or top lever, a break action (kipplauf) with an octagon barrel, outside hammer, staghorn forend tip and a shorter overall length.
img794.jpg
An Ischler Stutzen made by Jakob Koschat in Ferlach . It is chambered for the 6.5 x 57R cartridge. The image is courtesy of Joh. Springer’s Erben.
img796.jpg
This Ischler Stutzen was made by Franz Neuber in Vienna. It is chambered for the 7 x 57R cartridge and features an under lever, octagon barrel, double set triggers, full length stock with the stag horn tip. This image is courtesy of Joh. Springer’s Erben.

PirschStutzen (Birschstutzen)
A Pirschstutzen is simply a Deer stalking rifle. In old texts they are sometimes referred to as Birschstutzen.

img797.jpg
A modern Pirschstutzen made by Joh. Outschar’s Sohn in Ferlach prior to 1995. It is in 6.5 x 57R caliber
img798.jpg
A listing for the Mauser Birschstutzen from a early 20th Century Ernst Steigleder Catalog.
The following little article was found in the 1907 periodical Schuss und Waffe.
img799-300x154.jpg
img800-300x115.jpg

Scheibenstutzen
This is another name for target rifles. Here we illustrate a Percussion muzzle loading target rifle made by Cajetan Mussack around 1850 and is typical of Austrian target arms of that period with the rear facing lock. (See also Johann Peterlongo). The images are courtesy of Joh. Springer’s Erben in Vienna.

img791.jpg

img792.jpg

the

• Love
Reactions: F4b and acudaowner
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Amazing what air rifles are capable of these days......

How have the new EU laws effected your ability to go to the local range with your issue rifle and get some smokeless powder propellant time?

Lived in Geneva back in 1989 for 15 months beautiful place.

Yes, air rifles are awesome nowadays and cheap to shoot!

The new law from 2019 didn't change much if anything, only a few details about the acquisition permit needed to buy some types of firearms like SBRs for example.

Welcome ! Where are you located ?

I'm in the Canton of Valais

There are fans of your countries products here.....

@zfk55sr is knowledgeable in your cartridges.

Thanks for the link!

The Stutzen Rifles- Berg, Bolt, Feuer, Ischler and Pirsch​

By Larry B. Schuknecht
Editors note: The following information is very basic and I am sure incomplete. It is presented as a primer on the subject and if any reader has additional information or observes any errors please let me know and I will change things accordingly.
By definition a Stutzen is a short rifle or carbine. This catagory of rifles includes several varieties that are differant in both style and construction. Each of these will be elaborated on seperately to the best of my ability. A Stutzen rifle is also often referred to as a Stalking rifle and as a class are of lighter weight.
The Bergstutzens:
These are short, light weight break action over-under rifles (sometimes also seen in a side by side cofiguration) which have two differant calibers, meant for hunting where both small or large game may be encountered. They are a specialty of several Austrian makers and are most popular there where they are used by hunters in the mountains.

img772.jpg
A over-under Bergstutzen made by J. Outschar’s Sohn in Ferlach in 1985. It is in 7 x 65R and 5.6 x 50R caliber. Photo courtesy Joh. Springer’s Erben.
img773-1024x646.jpg

img770.jpg
This is a hammer side by side Bergstutzen made by Josef Just in Ferlach before 1995. It is in calibers .270 winchester and .222 remington Magnum. Photo courtesy Joh. Springer’s Erben.
Bolt Action
The bolt action Stutzens are a short repeating rifle typically with a full length stock that reaches all the way to the muzzle. The Mannlicher-Schönauer is the most often seen make although Mauser also made a model in this configuration. In America any rifle with a full stock are referred to as a Mannlicher even though they may not be made by Mannlicher-Schönauer.

img774.jpg
This is a Mannlicher Schönauer model GK in .30-06. Image is courtesy of Joh. Springer’s Erben
100_4244.jpg
This Bolt Action Pirschstutzen was made by Imman. Meffert and features several interesting features. To see more click Here.
Feuer Stutzen
According to Cassell’s new Compact German Dictionary the definition of Feuer is Fire, ardour, passion. The Feuer Stutzens are single shot rifles meant for informal target shooting. They often have target type sights, a finger rest type lever, and are chambered for the 8.15 x 46R cartridge.

img789.jpg
A Feuerstutzen made by Richard Marholdt of Innsbruck around 1900. Image courtesy of Joh. Springer’s Erben.
Ischler Stutzen
In the mid 19th Century
a gunsmith by the name of Wolfgang Leithner of Ischl, Austria developed a large bore muzzle loading percussion stalking rifle. Ischl happened to be the location of Emperor Franz Joseph I favorite hunting lodge. The Emperor was an ardent hunter and embraced the Leithner rifle as his favorite for hunting in the Alps. It was as previously stated a large bore (approximetely .55 to .58 cal.) rifle with a finger rest trigger guard, full length stock, and a short overall length.

Aust.-Emporer-Franz-Joseph-and-Krownprinz-Rudolph.jpg
The younger Emperor Franz Joseph I with his young son Crown Prince Rudolf. Franz Joseph I is holding his favorite Ischler Stutzen
1c.png
A Ischler Stutzen made by Wolfgang Leithner and in the Kunst Historisches Museum in Wien (Vienna)
When the self contained cartridge became successful in the early 1870’s Wolfgang Leithner began building single shot break action rifles along the same lines with the full length stock, an octagon barrel, and lock up with an under lever. Other gun makers soon followed and the Ischler type became standard with either an under lever or top lever, a break action (kipplauf) with an octagon barrel, outside hammer, staghorn forend tip and a shorter overall length.
img794.jpg
An Ischler Stutzen made by Jakob Koschat in Ferlach . It is chambered for the 6.5 x 57R cartridge. The image is courtesy of Joh. Springer’s Erben.
img796.jpg
This Ischler Stutzen was made by Franz Neuber in Vienna. It is chambered for the 7 x 57R cartridge and features an under lever, octagon barrel, double set triggers, full length stock with the stag horn tip. This image is courtesy of Joh. Springer’s Erben.

PirschStutzen (Birschstutzen)
A Pirschstutzen is simply a Deer stalking rifle. In old texts they are sometimes referred to as Birschstutzen.

img797.jpg
A modern Pirschstutzen made by Joh. Outschar’s Sohn in Ferlach prior to 1995. It is in 6.5 x 57R caliber
img798.jpg
A listing for the Mauser Birschstutzen from a early 20th Century Ernst Steigleder Catalog.
The following little article was found in the 1907 periodical Schuss und Waffe.
img799-300x154.jpg
img800-300x115.jpg

Scheibenstutzen
This is another name for target rifles. Here we illustrate a Percussion muzzle loading target rifle made by Cajetan Mussack around 1850 and is typical of Austrian target arms of that period with the rear facing lock. (See also Johann Peterlongo). The images are courtesy of Joh. Springer’s Erben in Vienna.

img791.jpg

img792.jpg

the

That was an interesting read. Mine is not lightweight though. I'm not sure if Stutzer means the same as Stutzen, it may be some kind of model name from Hämmerli. According to the informations that I found, it's also called Matchstutzer or National-Stutzer and was designed for the Swiss 300m competitions. It's a single shot rifle based on the K31 but with a longer and heavier barrel. It was an impulsive buy when I saw it for $450 locally, it just looked too cool to pass. I will take a few pics tomorrow

Reactions: Threadcutter308
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Yes, air rifles are awesome nowadays and cheap to shoot!

The new law from 2019 didn't change much if anything, only a few details about the acquisition permit needed to buy some types of firearms like SBRs for example.

I'm in the Canton of Valais

Thanks for the link!

That was an interesting read. Mine is not lightweight though. I'm not sure if Stutzer means the same as Stutzen, it may be some kind of model name from Hämmerli. According to the informations that I found, it's also called Matchstutzer or National-Stutzer and was designed for the Swiss 300m competitions. It's a single shot rifle based on the K31 but with a longer and heavier barrel. It was an impulsive buy when I saw it for $450 locally, it just looked too cool to pass. I will take a few pics tomorrow
Very nice 😊

I have been to Valais/Wallis many times. Probably the prettiest Canton in all of Switzerland !

Skied Chamonix and visited Zermatt.

If I was not hiking the Jura, riding my Cannondale all over Geneva and the French border I was either working, skiing or most likely drinking at the LOrd Nelson Pub in Geneva.

I should try to get back someday bringing the fams with but the world is too messed up right now to leave fortress USA.