• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hi I bought an RCBS powder chargemaster supreme. I was on the fence on ordering the Hornady one.

RobertR01

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2023
Ft Worth TX
I was reading all the reviews on both of these powder machines and they both had equal review stars. A couple of people mentioned that the Hornady will shut off if this garage is over 80 degrees. No one mentioned anything like that with the Rcbs so this is why I ordered this one. Did I make the right choice? My garage gets hot in the summer and while I try and reload during the cooler parts of the day, it will hit 80 pretty quickly. Has anyone used either once of these?

Sounds like you should look for a more temperature controlled spot in your house to charge cases.

I also have the RCBS that you mentioned. I have had it for a little over a year. I love the thing. I have never used it in anything else but 65-69 degree temps though. If I can control a variable in the reloading process, I do my damndest to do so.

Thank you for the reply. I was thinking of where I could do this in the house and then go outside to the garage to seat the bullet. Perhaps I can do it at this desk, the wife would have a fit but, it would be cooler for me for sure. I have been reloading in the summer with a fan on, but I am sure it was like 90 degrees or so here in north Texas. :rolleyes:

The Supreme is an upgrade of the 1500 and I use the 1500 in a metal storage building in the upstate of SC with no issues. The one thing I am not sure of is whether the Supreme utilizes Auto Zero like the 1500. I think your biggest issue will be zero drift if it doesn't. Not a problem, you just zero before every charge. Good lab practice anyway.

You can test for Auto Zero by dropping a few kernels of powder in the pan while it is on the scale until you see a 0.1 grain show up. If it auto zeros it will go back to zero and if you add a few more kernels it will register then go back to zero again.

Reactions: RegionRat
Having xp with both, in my op you made a solid choice between the two...the Hornady I had always drifted off zero an average of .2 during sessions, this in a climate controlled "reloading" room, very frustrating. My original Chargemaster has been solid for nearing a decade..I run two now to speed things up.

Two week ago I reloaded using this tool. It was very fast for me lol. I am use to doing everything by hand, this really made it easier.

Reactions: Shifty6BR
My Chargemaster is close to fifteen years old. The first part of its life it was inside the house.

The last ten years it lived out in the unheated garage. The Temps might get -20 below and might reach a 100 in the summer. I used an Electric Heater for about five years and then my Daughter felt sorry for me and bought me a Space Heater.
Around August of this last year I told my Wife my shit was moving back into the house. Now my Chargemaster and me are happy little campers.

Reactions: RLinNH