• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hi Jerry from California. Glad to be new to the forum/community.

JerP

Private
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2023
California
So in 2 days I get my new FN scar 20S, .308. I have already picked out and purchased my long distance optic. I chose a Sig Sauer Tango6 5-30x56mm. I think I'll be happy with it. I'll update after using it. So my question is, one intention of this weapon is protection at closer ranges like coming up on a bear or cat in the mountains. I'm not sure what type of optic makes the most sense at what I would think we're ranges of 0 to 100 yards. Thanks in advance for any help here.

Welcome to Snipers Hide Jerry.

As to your question, I personally don’t believe you need an optic for 0-100 yards, but if that’s what you’re after, I’d choose a simple RDO or other rapid use optic. No magnification needed.

Hey Jerry welcome. I agree you probably don’t need anything from 0-100 besides an RDO or something similar. Having said that, I think you’d be better off with a pistol of some sort for the real close up stuff. A Scar 20 is a battle rifle and especially with the 5-30 on it, it’s gonna be more suited for more almost minute of man type shooting.

Most bear or cats will avoid you. If there is a threat/charge/attack you’ll be shooting no more than 5-10 yards so the scope you mentioned, or anything similar, isnt going to help at all. As mentioned above - no scope needed at that range.

I’ve been an avid backpacker / hiker all my life spending weeks at a time on the trail and never carried as it just wasn’t necessary in the mountain west. I do occasionally carry a Ruger Alaskan in .454 Casull when fly fishing around heavy brown bear concentrations. By this I mean areas where you may see a few brown bear at the same time in the surrounding area. Mostly Alaska…

Reactions: lash
Most bear or cats will avoid you. If there is a threat/charge/attack you’ll be shooting no more than 5-10 yards so the scope you mentioned, or anything similar, isnt going to help at all. As mentioned above - no scope needed at that range.

I’ve been an avid backpacker / hiker all my life spending weeks at a time on the trail and never carried as it just wasn’t necessary in the mountain west. I do occasionally carry a Ruger Alaskan in .454 Casull when fly fishing around heavy brown bear concentrations. By this I mean areas where you may see a few brown bear at the same time in the surrounding area. Mostly Alaska…

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah in most my fishing and camping I have carried a 1911A1. I finally was able to get myself a good combat style rifle as well as a long range precision weapon and I think this purchase will keep me happy for the long term. The govt can go ahead and turn out the lights now. I'm feeling safe. Thanks again great site so far.

Reactions: lash
Thanks for the input guys. Yeah in most my fishing and camping I have carried a 1911A1. I finally was able to get myself a good combat style rifle as well as a long range precision weapon and I think this purchase will keep me happy for the long term. The govt can go ahead and turn out the lights now. I'm feeling safe. Thanks again great site so far.
They let you buy a SCAR in CA?‽ ha ha . Welcome. What part of CA, assuming up north mostly if you are worried about Bears

Reactions: Modoc
Welcome.

As to your question regarding bear or cat:
Have you spent much time out and about where you might encounter a bear or a cat?

Reactions: Herb Stoner
I know of a guy who hunts in Wisconsin with a SCAR heavy and an ACOG. In heavy woods, that is working for him. And he can fold the stock and sling around his back and then drag a deer out.

More importantly than a particular scope, find one that is comfortable to your eye. I like 5-25, so your scope of choice will be just fine with a nice eye box and field of view and good glass. Cry once, buy once. To me, you are making good choices.

Then, again, I am not a tactical elite who has spent the price of a car on one rifle.

Yeah I'm close to retirement and will be getting myself a couple gold claims. Go figure right in the heart of bear country. That and some of my good fishing spots.

Reactions: Ronws
Yeah I'm close to retirement and will be getting myself a couple gold claims. Go figure right in the heart of bear country. That and some of my good fishing spots.
Makes me think of a guy I follow sometimes who is from Washington and hunts black bear with a Browning A Bolt in
.300 WSM.

I know of a guy who hunts in Wisconsin with a SCAR heavy and an ACOG. In heavy woods, that is working for him. And he can fold the stock and sling around his back and then drag a deer out.

More importantly than a particular scope, find one that is comfortable to your eye. I like 5-25, so your scope of choice will be just fine with a nice eye box and field of view and good glass. Cry once, buy once. To me, you are making good choices.

Then, again, I am not a tactical elite who has spent the price of a car on one rifle.

Yeah my wife looked at me a little funny over my rifle choice. She resigned herself to it after the realization that I got the weapon and she gets a car.

Reactions: Ronws
Welcome.

As to your question regarding bear or cat:
Have you spent much time out and about where you might encounter a bear or a cat?
Yeah bear for sure and cat reports have been increasing for several years now. While I haven't seen a cat had to share water with bear a few times in past two or so years. I can say that while my confidence is high with my .45. I wasn't feeling the possibility of having just a pistol and maybe pissing off a bear.

So in 2 days I get my new FN scar 20S, .308. I have already picked out and purchased my long distance optic. I chose a Sig Sauer Tango6 5-30x56mm. I think I'll be happy with it. I'll update after using it. So my question is, one intention of this weapon is protection at closer ranges like coming up on a bear or cat in the mountains. I'm not sure what type of optic makes the most sense at what I would think we're ranges of 0 to 100 yards. Thanks in advance for any help here.
You don't need an optic, or even an FN scar for such range. You'll be better off with pistol.

Yeah bear for sure and cat reports have been increasing for several years now. While I haven't seen a cat had to share water with bear a few times in past two or so years. I can say that while my confidence is high with my .45. I wasn't feeling the possibility of having just a pistol and maybe pissing off a bear.
I like 45ACP. I have several from various manufacturers.
The old cowboys of the late 1800's would carry a 45Colt and a carbine of the same caliber. Very effective at short range and used the same ammo. I followed their philosophy and built 2 of THESE. One I built with the intention of selling. Still have the other and maybe 1500 rounds down the tube. Quite accurate at 100 yards.

My eyes are getting old and irons don't work as well as they did when I was 18. Then, I have astigmatisms in both eyes, so RDS are out too. I carry a Ruger SRH in .480 while bowhunting, JIC I run into a bear in the dark. In reality, I'm sure I'd be fine with a 1911 in .45. Bears here don't usually get too big. But sometimes...

PTTFxfv.png

If I were carrying that SCAR, I'd want some flavor of 1-whatever x scope, and jeep it on 1x.