• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hi Power shooters using XL-550 or 1050 Super

LARMIKE

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2009
SE USA
Anyone using a 550 or 1050 for loading their short range ammo. 200 - 300 yds. I have a 1050 but I am looking at a 550 for loading 77gr. short range ammo. Also looking at the Whidden CNC tool head for the 550 and is there anyone using one and did you see a difference when using it compared to the factory tool head. Thanks. Mike

Re: Hi Power shooters using XL-550 or 1050 Super

Yeah, sure. Have been using my 550 for over two decades for anything from handgun, mass 223 to precision LR stuff. No problems. Must have no less than a dozen tool heads set up at the moment. If I do have problems it's with the primer system. I have to watch it constantly,especially with sr/sp, to make sure I don't screw stuff up. Nothing major, just a pain to make sure you flip a primer, have a primer fly out or go in sideways or even have it not pick up and primer and not seat into the pocket.

Alan

Do you see excessive runout on the rifle ammo +5 thou. or more?

I use the 550. I work my brass in stages though. De-prime and trim 1st time thru and then tumble to remove the lube. Clean primer pockets and chamfer/deburr case mouth then back to the press to prime/powder and seat a bullet. I'm currently loading my short-line ammo and my 600 ammo through the 550 (using the Dillon powder measure).

My Brother bought the 650, thinking it would be even better but it's quite a bit harder to go through the different steps I do in between with the 650.

When I've loaded LR ammo with average components using non match dies (30-06 AI/Win brass/Lee neck collet sizer/Forster seater), I've seen as much as .011 runout when I wasn't paying attention to detail. When I use quality componets and dies (6.5x47 L, Lapua brass/Redding Type S full & Comp seater) I've seen nothing more than .004 run out and that was 2 of 60 rds. And I was focusing on what I was doing.

Also, I run a little RCBS Partner press and that little sucker give primarily 1's and 2's for runout.

My current set up is to size on the 550 and seat on the Partner. No preference, just the way I set it up one day and i'm lazy enough to not want to bother changing the seater to the 550.

Alan

My RL550 was bought used in the early 1990's and has made all my ammo, H/G and Rifle, including for a whole shooting team for 6-7 years,without any ammo quility problems, or any mechanical failures that were not caused by misuse. When problems did occur, all it took was a very pleasant phone call to obtain replacement parts free of cost or shipping.

If your Dillon's giving you trouble, odds are high that you're doing it wrong.

Greg

I am using the Whidden tool head on a 550 for exactly what you describe, 77gr 5.56.
Run-out is significantly better than with factory part; avg .002 with Dillon dies and good brass prep ( I send @2500 cases at a time down to this fellow in TX, "Custom brass processing", I think, he does everything except uniform primer pockets). I do the primer pockets, sort, and load and the results are excellent. Have another Whidden tool head which will go for .308 on another 550, I've just been too lazy to change the dies out and haven't needed to re-load .308 yet. Don't know exactly how he does what he does but everything John Whidden makes is truly excellent -- also use his bullet-pointing dies on 6mm and 6.5 with great results. You will like the results.
Best,
James

For low run-out, I use the Forester Dies. I usually end up in the .003 run-out area with an occasional run out of up to .005.

The Redding dies do just as good but their stem is is of a softer metal and will spread, causing it not to float as it is supposed to so have a shorter life. Redding recommends against using them in progressive presses for this reason.

I was amazed one time, loading some Scharch's brass that had a whole lot of run-out. The finished rounds still ended up straight .002 - .005 with the Redding die.

I Use my XL650's for everything I shoot.
I haven't checked run out on my .223 loads.

I had .002-.003 Run out with my .260 loads and my .308 loads with regular tool heads. I haven't purchased any Whidden tool heads yet.

I'll be setting up my XL 650 some time this year for 308. I really like it for 45acp and 223. I may go with a different powder measure setup. But I'll have to wait until I'm actually closer before setting anything "in stone".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll be setting up my XL 650 some time this year for 308. I really like it for 45acp and 223. I may go with a different powder measure setup. But I'll have to wait until I'm actually closer before setting anything "in stone". </div></div>

That post looks like I could have written it. Funny.

Have you checked the repeatability of the Dillon powder measure? I've not done any sort of close analysis, just set it and forget it.

For the 45acp I use Vihtivouri N-340 powder. It does fairly well. For the 223 I use IMR 4198. It looses some powder when the action rotates.. But the 223 will group 1 1/4" from my mil spec AR at 100 yards... with a 30 shot group. Well 27 shots. The first 3 walked in.

I'm going to do some serious searching about the powder measure before actually buying the parts.

The other 2 calibers have dedicated powder measures from Dillon. I haven't decided about the 308 yet. I may put my Harrell's Premium on it.

For the powder shaking out issue when it indexes, you can hone the shell plate down just a bit to tighten the operation up. This honing is done on a typical whet stone and holds the case head a bit tighter to the base, removing the slop.

Now, having said that, I usually hone a bit every time I put a shell-plate on because these things are hard. I usually hone on it all I can stand then put it all together and get after it.

Another trick it to hold your thumb against the case as you index it.

This issue seems to be with all the progressive presses that I've watched in operation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1lnbrdg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the powder shaking out issue when it indexes, you can hone the shell plate down just a bit to tighten the operation up. This honing is done on a typical whet stone and holds the case head a bit tighter to the base, removing the slop.
</div></div>

Try using masking tape and taping a full sheet of emory paper on a sheet of glass and move it in a figure eight pattern. If you hold even pressure on it that will get you flatter than holding the stone by hand. And it's faster as well.

I went to the local ACE hardware store and bought a pane of glass that they had cut for someone else that didn't fit. I just tape the corners down to my work bench then tape the black, wet or dry type, emory paper on top of that. It's almost as good as a cast iron lapp.