• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hi

marine0311

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2009
Hey yall this is my first time here, and I feel right at home. I wanted to ask a question if I could. I am wanting to build a .30 cal rifle and was wondering about a 30-378 wea or even possibly a 300 RUM. Have any of you guys got any experience with either one of there rounds. I will reload my own ammo so I wont need to buy it buy the box, and I can decide what my new toy likes and doesn't like. Also, shooting 500-800 yds, what scope do you recommend? I would like brand and model types please. Thanks in advance.

Re: Hi

Shooting 500-800 yards.....Either of those 2 choices you mentioned would be way overkill and get expensive "wasting" bullets at that distance.
For those distances you cannot go wrong with the tried and true .308

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooting 500-800 yards.....Either of those 2 choices you mentioned would be way overkill and get expensive "wasting" bullets at that distance.
For those distances you cannot go wrong with the tried and true .308

Thanks </div></div>

1000+. Even with reloading, those two choices will be very expensive. I am shooting my 308 out to 1000 yards + all the time. Ammo are cheaper to reload. Also, the barrel life is going to be a bit longer comparing to the 338 Edge, or RUM. Welcome.

How much do you plan on shooting? Also, will it be used for hunting, or just paper/steel? If not for hunting, there are much better options than overbore 30, especially for 500-800 yards.

You might want to consider the possibility of getting a switch barrel rifle in two calibers so you can do most of your shooting with something that won't burn up the barrel as fast.

For a scope, I really like my PH 3-15 double turn.

you left out some vital info about your budget . but its true that if you just target shooting the 300 mag is a poor choice , so is anything bigger .. that said the 308 is also a poor choice if your going to reload.i would highly recomend the 243 win , 260 rem . 6.5 creedmore , even the 22-250 or 220 swift have much better trajectory out to 1000 yds though your barrel life does lessen with the 243 and 22 cal . however if your set on a 30 cal thry the 308 or 3006 adam

I was thinking just like you are when I got started. I owned a 30-378 weatherby mark V and couldn't understand why everyone wasn't using one. The more you read, the more you learn. The barrel life on the 30-378 round is under 500. I ended up with a GAP 7wsm, A3-A5 stock and a Night Force scope. Love it! Some of these guys did it, done it and have been doiing it for xx # of years. Save yourself some money, listen to their WISDOM. I have about $6500 in the whole outfit.

currently i have a rem 4 digit serial# action, (old but great) which RW Hart did the bolt back in the 70's and it has a 1/13 palma hart barrel on it in an old McMillan A40 stock! That will be the tried and true deer rifle! Now i am building a .308 with a surgeon action, Kreiger 1/11.25 barrel, manners GAT, Thruster brake, KMW bolt knob, and william roscoe from LA prec is doing the work! ZINGER for me! take a look @ those options for 600-800 yrds easy