• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hickory Groundhog Shoot in North Carolina

Re: Hickory Groundhog Shoot in North Carolina

Yep........I'll be there. My parents live about an hour from there so its free room and meals. This will be my 5th or 6th match up there. Gonna be shooting a 6mmBR. Different kind of match with only 9 shots plus the egg shoot at 500. Headed up there the Thursday before to get zeroed.

Ed

3 shots at 100, 3 shots at 300, 3 shots at 500, 1 shot at an egg at 500. 2 minutes for each of the three shots. Shooting at a groundhog target. If you go to 6mmBR.com and look at the guns of the week, there is an article and picture of the G/H target. Its really a match for the B/R crowd.

Ed you should be ashamed of your self shooting them big ole groundhogs like that, you need more of a challenge, like maybe Gerbils! Danged ole groundhogs!

Ed, I have never shot this match before and I had heard there was also a 3 man team match. What does that consist of?

Thanks for the heads up on this event and the good discussion. Does any one know if this is a public or private range that is used for this competition? Thanks.

The range is owned by the same guy that owns the Bullseye gun shop right next to it (and is private). It's a great match drawing shooters from world-wide! Went 2 years ago, but could never get on the firing line to do any practice before hand and I was shooting a new rifle, so I just went to a private range not far from it & shot the day away with a friend.

I am in the same boat that you were in Wild Bill. I would be shooting a new 308. So with that said does anybody know if there are caliber restrictions?

Thanks,
Oneshot

There is a very similar match at Roanoke Rifle and Revolver Club in Va the first Saturday in May if any of you are interested. You can go to their site and look under Egg Shoot. If you can't find it PM me and I'll get you more info. Factory rifles shoot 12 shoots @ 200yds at paint balls, custom rifles shoot 12 shoots @ 425yds at 60mm skeet, then everyone shoots eggs at 500 yds. Looks to be a real challenge.

I have seen guys shoot 330 Dakotas and muzzle loaders up there.......kinda of a waste if you ask me.....but to each his own! Yeah, there is a team match. Gotta ask when you sign up about it. This match usually draws between 200-300 shooters. Its shot from a prone position. Go to the 6mmbr.com web site and look at the Guns of the Week subsection. Scroll to the bottom and look for the one about the Hickory Ground Hog shoot. It has a good description of the match and a picture of the target.
Ground hogs eat good, Cal!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild Bill C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The range is owned by the same guy that owns the Bullseye gun shop right next to it (and is private). It's a great match drawing shooters from world-wide! Went 2 years ago, but could never get on the firing line to do any practice before hand and I was shooting a new rifle, so I just went to a private range not far from it & shot the day away with a friend. </div></div>

I am in the same situation as you and a few others here, in that I have a new rig to dope in past 300 yds. I will probably show up and spectate - darn! What's the name of the rifle range near by and where? Thanks. I'm looking for a range that has some distance. My only other alternative is 3.5 hours a way. So where are some rifle ranges that go 500-1000 yds? It would be nice to practice before embarrassing ones self.
wink.gif

Thanks guys.

Note, Larry's shop is NOT next to the range. The range, as I understand it, is on his property where he lives.

And not have a zero is no reason not to go shoot this match. Interestingly, when we were getting zeroes here at my house on Friday, my first shot at 500 yards (just went up from 300 per my ballistics table) with a calculated zero hit the white chest circle on the dog...should be about good enough to bust the egg. Then, the 2nd time back at 500, I was out....wind baby! That hog aint that wide!

I am going up to shoot it for the first time this year and figure if I get lucky enough to dial in the wind right, great, if not, I will have fun nonetheless.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Note, Larry's shop is NOT next to the range. The range, as I understand it, is on his property where he lives. </div></div>

Thanks for the input. Do you know of any ranges with some distance in this area that can be used by the public? I don't know any one with a private range to shoot at other than at Boyette's or hogstooth. Those places are a good distance to get to.