• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hide Aviation

tnichols

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2010
Morley IA
A fair amount of fellas here involved in aviation. Post up pics of equipment, experiences (there I was upside down in a thunderstorm 😊), you’re daily lives burnin’ 100LL or Jet A, etc... Whether you do it to pay the bills, just for fun, or just interested. We all file a flight plan through a ballistic calc or Fltplan, it’s the same, but different. Post away.

Daily driver. Bombardier Challenger 300/350. Hand flies like crap, great avionics, great radar, and climbs like a homesick angel . Goes straight to FL400 or 410 heavy with no fuss.
18E33CC1-F3D3-43D0-B142-3C21708F2F95.jpeg
A02C7763-DDEC-41C4-973E-8A1F21A42EF1.jpeg

Last edited:
Did ground school when I could take it for free at Auburn. Got about halfway through the actual flying part before I got pissed at the young CFI that was only interested in building his hours and quit. Thought about picking it up again but what I really wanted was a helicopter so I bought a Rotorway 162F kit. Decided I'd probably kill myself so sold it shortly after. Demo flight in Chandler ~ 1999:

Rotorway.jpg

Did my PPL in a new 182R. Stopped flying, though. Someday, ill get back into it. But if you thought shooting or boats were expensive, try owning a plane. There are a couple of flying clubs here in So. Fla, which seems the more practical route.

No digital pictures available ,BUT at one point,a tad over 20 yrs ago , I owned a Weedhopper ultralight . It was a two seater with a 50 up Rotax . There were three or four of us local .I had one oh shit moment ,when we had a calm before the storm in the weather ,and I took off for a quick spin . Well, I stayed up longer than I should have and was landing when the front blew in.....wasn't fun at all ,but got on ground with me and plane in one piece . Had it and flew it 2-3 years ,until high straight line wind blew in one day ( I was out of town ),ripped tie down lines off ,blew it on railroad tracks..... Train comes along...cuts it in half. End of plane ,end of story........However, flying that ultalight was the most fun I've ever had..............................With my clothes on.

It’s definitely a project, I’m going to have to do a engine rebuild on it in the near future. It will be nice when I’m done though.

@tnichols
I grew hearing the stories of when my grandfather flew with his friends and my dad. Like flying over fort Riley KS... and landing at an airport in a thunderstorm and not knowing where they had landed.... trips to Canadian. One trip dad and my grandfather where in the back of the plane and their friends were flying but couldn’t remember how to land the plan I believe it was the wheel in the front not the back and they were fighting about what wheels touchdown first.
I’d give anything to hear my grandfather tell those flying stories again. Dad tells them good but grandpa was a better story tell true or bullshit.

You all just lucky those crazies lived so you can put up with me.

My father was a Captain with the now defunct TWA. I flew from Los Angeles to Idelwild (Now Kennedy) when I was 6 days old in 1949 in one of these. DC 3 one of the best airplanes ever built. Some are still in service.

16335-dc3twazip-7-twa-douglas-dc-3.jpg

I can remember a few years later landing in National DC, flying in so low that I could see a guy sitting on his front porch at night reading the newspaper. Odd, Ive often wondered about that guy.

Got to fly in the Captain's seat in one of these a few years later. Constellation

2bfb5def54741a89d99515730147584e.jpg

Flew to Cairo Egypt (and climbed the Great Pyramid) circa 1961 on one of these. (707)

th

For some reason never developed the bug to do it myself.

Started out as a crew chief on F15's. Got out and went to school for my A&P. After school went to work for Boeing (BMAC) working on KC 135's and B52's. Then went to work for a company called Orion Air (a contractor to UPS) on 727, DC8, and 747.
Got hired by UPS Airline when they started their own airline. Worked all their aircraft but mostly 757, 767 and A300's. Also, a private pilot. built two experimental aircraft. Now I work on some GA aircraft for shooting money. Retired now.

I grind parts for the back half. Slingers, balance pistons, turbine disks, and other similar parts. Pic taken at a museum.
20161119_125319.jpg

They look something like this when done.
180177-10944355.jpg

Stuff I do goes into cj1, cj2, cj3, cirrus sf50, pilatus pc24, and xq58a drone. All natively. Reengineable on Lear 25, hawker 400xpr, and citation 500's.
VeriJet-Vision-Jet-private-jet-charter-e1616195353210.png
5943c5d0ddc71_5938e9b1416ad_Pilatus-Aircraft-Ltd-3rd-pc-24-maidenflight02.jpg
kratosvalkyrie-190305-f-ha049-003-1583345928.png

Militarily also do tomahawk, bqm-74, alcm, lrasm, jassm-er, x61 gremlins, and marte-er. Above information publicly available. First 2 pictures below off interblag, last took at Hill AFB museum.
GremlinsFlightTestNovember2019.jpg

Gbqm74.jpg

20210612_103106.jpg

Last edited:
C120 and SNJ.jpg

Two different aviation pursuits: My '47 C-120 is a twin to t's 140. I've owned it since '99. Also pictured is a RC 1/5 scale SNJ-5 that I built from plans.
t's hangar is a heckuva a lot neater than mine (but I get to split the rent with someone who stores a bunch of his aviation-junk there). Believe it or not, there's three complete Continental A-65s under the bench next to the refrigerator!

Logbook.jpg

Easily the coolest entry I'll ever have in my logbook (in the blue ink. 0.2 hours of glory! 🙂

while the though is sort of funny it's already been done

View attachment 7751969

Two different aviation pursuits: My '47 C-120 is a twin to t's 140. I've owned it since '99. Also pictured is a RC 1/5 scale SNJ-5 that I built from plans.
t's hangar is a heckuva a lot neater than mine (but I get to split the rent with someone who stores a bunch of his aviation-junk there). Believe it or not, there's three complete Continental A-65s under the bench next to the refrigerator!

View attachment 7751973

Easily the coolest entry I'll ever have in my logbook (in the blue ink. 0.2 hours of glory! 🙂
Didn’t take you long to sniff out this thread 😊. Thatta way

Mine would be on an MC130. Strapped in next to a piece of AGE that reeks of diesel while the crew practices low-level from Bragg to Hurlburt and ended with an assault landing. I made it off the ramp before projectile vomiting.

I haven't flown anything with only 1 engine in over 20 years. I'd probably kill myself. Having said that, a few friends of mine have been considering a partnership in a new plane. I'd be an insignificant partner compared to these guys (anesthesiologist and attorney) but being the only CFI I am useful. These guys want the new Diamond DA50RG. I'm all for it. That thing is the shit. Its not a turbo prop, but it runs on Jet A and has all the bells and whistles.

If that doesnt work out, I may scoop up a very nice A36 in the next few years when a family friend retires his wings. I'll be honest though, my drive for flying isnt as high these days. It reminds me too much of work.

^^an RV8 will break that.

That’s the airline pilot Basic Bitch plane, lol
I know lots of guys with RV-6s. Friend has a glasair. One friend built a lancair years ago but he’s since sold it. The adrenaline junky in me would love to get back into aerobatics.

Reactions: diverdon