• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hide hive mind on reconfiguring my AR10

RoverG79

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2007
Madison, MS
I am looking at reworking my AR10. Its got a 24" barrel and is a beast. I am looking to chop or replace the barrel to 16" or 18" and replace my SASS rail with a lighter PRI Gen III rifle length forearm. The scope will stay the same (Leupold MK4 W/ M3's). I shoot M118LR. The end state is to have a gun that is handy, accurate, and relatively light weight. I will also like to use it on my elk hunts next year.

Does anyone have the velocity of a Noveske 16.1 barrel using M118LR pills?

What is the farthest effective range of a 16.1 barrel in regards to harvesting an elk.

So 16.1" Noveske or chop and re-contour my current barrel to 18"?

Re: Hide hive mind on reconfiguring my AR10

Your 24" AR-10 SASS or T is on the slim-jim side of beasthood. You gonna go custom longrange? Better stock up on Wheaties. Armalite barrels are excellent. Unless you just want to spend the money think about having 2-4" parted off and recrown.

For all the money you seem ready to spend you could just buy a 10T barrel in .338Fed and have your bases covered for elk hunting.

Save your money and practice with the 24" barrel is my advice. Handload your ammo or buy decent match ammo and learn to shoot the rifle for precision. Factory Armalite with T or SASS barrel is a fine shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoverG79</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the farthest effective range of a 16.1 barrel in regards to harvesting an elk.
</div></div>

I don't know about that, but I read a detailed review by a Ranger of the New SCAR-H.

They were regulary hitting pop-up tagets at 800 meters using the standard 16" barrel and the 4X Spectre optic with regular ammo.

I would chop to 18". I you want to re contour or flute you might just be better off buying a new barrel.

How does the barrel shoot now? That would be a big factor to me

Personally,I wouldn't go any shorter than 20 inches on an AR 308 due to the chance of loss of velocities and powder burning issues..

You are taking a chance on accuracy chopping a 24 inch barrel to 16 inches..Seems it would take a "rifle" and turn it into a "carbine"..If that makes sense?

I would not go below 18". Haveig the barrel turned and cut .....you could be very close to the purchase of another barrel. Just my opinion.

Pop

I have standardized my 308 gas guns to 20" barrels which I have found to be a good compromise between the weight savings over the 24" and in not losing performance (velocity, range, etc.) with the 16". Losing 4-6" of barrel will likely cost you around 150-200fps or so.

For your purposes:

Going from a 24" T-profile barrel cut to a 20" will save you approx. 16-18oz of muzzle weight. Cutting from a 24" to a 16" will get you around 32oz or 2lbs of savings. Going from the SASS rail to the PRI carbon fiber will only save you approx. 6oz or so. Thus, the total weight savings for your mods will only yield a weight reduction of around 2-2.5lbs give or take.

I am no expert on barrel fluting, but I would say that you could probably get a little more weight savings by fluting under the handguards and forward of the gas block.