• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hide poll

dohnuts58

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2009
the big MO
just curious as to how many of the members here on the hide have actually held someone in their sights before. this is not a dig on anyone in particular, just noticed that a lot of guys here do competitive shooting, and some do practical shooting (deployments, P.D. etc). nobody has to respond to this, just look inside of yourself. do you honestly have what it takes to line up your sights on another human being's chest or head, and squeeze off that round? have your friends come and take the poll

Re: Hide poll

I sit in a hide next to a highway overpass and "sight" people all the time. My dog tells me to do it.

I'm a pacifist, but when it comes to the safety of my family, I have no problem defending them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sit in a hide next to a highway overpass and "sight" people all the time. My dog tells me to do it. </div></div>

YOU are really missed around these parts.....

I wouldn't have any problem doing it in defense of life or property.
There are some in this world that I would even pay to have the opportunity to put down. OBL, vandersloot, etc.

I'm from Albuquerque...

You forgot the poll answers "yes, to save my life" & "yes, Mexican in my house in the middle of the night"

You also forgot the "shot at while standing on porch by four guys in a white honda civic"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm from Albuquerque...

You forgot the poll answers "yes, to save my life" & "yes, Mexican in my house in the middle of the night" </div></div>

+1 I am from Phoenix

During OEF VII There was an individual trying to climb over the perimeter fence. I hade him doped right a 300M, SN4 chevron point on his chest/neck, and the radio call in on a SPOPT report asking for clearance since no one was in the AO to stop him. As they were going higher up for clearance the funniest shit happened. The motherfucker looks up, like right at me. He is staring dead on into my scope. The fucker turned a lighter shade of tan, and hauled fucking ass! I called in to give them a heads up on the new sit rep, notified my forward location to send me an ANP hot like. SHowed the ANP the guy running across the field.
ANP calls it in in durkah durkah on his net, adn as the guy is reaching a mud wall at the edge of town some 500M away, here come four ANP's to grab him up. My guys asks me,"What you want do Sergeant?"
I smile and say."Teach him not to climb my walls anymore and let him go" That appeared to be one nicely laid ass whoopin from where I watched it through my 10x50 Leupy binos.

SO, I had that guy in my sights professionally, and yes, I was ready to pull the trigger on him as he was on a wall of a secure area that had prisoners in it but no guard position to see that part of the wall. Timing? Unbelievable. I was SOG, making my rounds before going to get my relief and brief his crew so we could leave the positions as they arrived. Up to that point I had never had an individual in a scoped situation on a professional level. It was truly an experience that I will remember. I will admit, I was hesitant about the POA because I did not really see this as a solid reason to kill a man or seriously wound him, but it was the only POA he offered up on the wall. Warning shots were not authorized. For all practical purposes that day would have ended in paperwork and another few hours of bullshit if the guy hadn't looked up adn seen the position he was in. I think he was shitting bricks for a moment, and possibily had a life impacting moment.

I am sure hardcore billieted snipers would say this is just a minor situation to which I would have to agree, however, it does answer to the first two questions as to a profesional level experience.

I just killed a huge bowl of Yukon Gold mashed potatoes, with Tillamook cheddar cheese in them!
I'm sleepy now..

ON a serious note, was on patrol early 90's and get a call that there is a burglary in progress at such and such address.

Great, it's pouring cats and dogs outside.

So we get there, hit spotlights, headlights, I go left, my FTO goes right.

I come upon this guy trying to get in a window, so at gunpoint I lay him down in 2" of standing water on the lawn.

Sad part is his girlfriend lived there, didn't want to wake the mom, he was in a 3 piece suit and his buddy had just got shot in Seattle.

Felt bad but did what I had to do.

When was 8, I participate in genocide of the squirrel population in Beluga Alaska. When I was done, there was not a Squirrel alive within 5 miles of the family cabin. My dad was worried when I started putting head on stakes to warn them off! He told me should join the army.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When was 8, I participate in genocide of the squirrel population in Beluga Alaska. When I was done, there was not a Squirrel alive within 5 miles of the family cabin. My dad was worried when I started putting head on stakes to warn them off! He told me should join the army.</div></div>

HA..... that was good. Very good.

Just finished reading Grossman's "On Killing".

The two times I held someone at gunpoint, as a civilian, justifiably defending my life and property, I was damn glad I didn't shoot them. Fortunately they complied with my commands and the "What could have been" became the "Not this time" factor.

The latter case was a whacked out loon I had had problems with in the nighborhood and I stopped his attack by drawing a concealed pistol and aiming it at his face and ordering him to stop or die. He stopped.

I've had no further problems with the asshole and I am glad I didn't shoot him.

I don't envy those who have had to kill.

I just want to shoot targets and go hunting. Oh, yeah, and be left the hell alone: That way no one gets hurt and I sleep without nightmares.

To those of you that fight the monsters, you have my undying respect.

Rear gunner of a mounted patrol, Northern Karata/ Southern Otamiyah district of Baghdad (not sure on the spellings, basically other side of the river from the green zone) Early evening, sun setting, had some local come flying up towards the convoy from the rear in a whitish colored car. I guess I did all the needed steps, yelling, flashing the surefire and all that, I don't remember all that, but thats what my driver and TC said I did.

All I remember is bringing my M4 up firing one round into the road directly infront of the pasanger side tire. I then shifted my aim to the hood where I was going to fire a round into it directly infront of the driver and then shoot him, many many times, but the first round was enough to cause the driver to lock his brakes and slam the car into reverse at the same time lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm from Albuquerque...

You forgot the poll answers "yes, to save my life" & "yes, Mexican in my house in the middle of the night"

You also forgot the "shot at while standing on porch by four guys in a white honda civic" </div></div>

LOL, outstanding !!!

I've had to pull a revolver twice from my waist band to protect myself or others. Once was when I was young and dumb and the situation could've been avoided, but luckily cooler heads prevailed. I wasn't about to take an outnumbered beating for being at the wrong place at the wrong time, even though the mouthy woman I was with probably instigated most of it. Second time was for confronting a drunk redneck for firing off shots over my cabin while my wife and I were camping out there. He thought his leather clad buddy was invincible and my Ruger put his money where his mouth was and let him know blazing a 45 over my cabin wasn't appropriate conduct. Both times an ass beating looked inevitable and I'm not into that if I don't have it coming. Never heard a peep out of him again, although both incidents made me walk backwards for a while. Like the saying goes, I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6. I feel for those of you that have had to take action through orders to defend life or liberty at the sake of others lives. I have lost sleep over much less and have no envy for you. Could I kill to protect what's mine? Yes, would I sleep afterwards, probably not. My old man told me at a young age, don't pull it unless you intend to use it. I think they are good words to live by. I hope that if or when my luck runs out, it will be a jury of 12 in self defense instead of a pallbearers six that judge me.
In the mean time, I'll continue to play diplomat with a soft tongue while hiding the proverbial big stick in the waist band until diplomacy fails
wink.gif

Had dozens in the sights or scope, pressed the trigger once. I sincerely hope I never have to again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just finished reading Grossman's "On Killing".

The two times I held someone at gunpoint, as a civilian, justifiably defending my life and property, I was damn glad I didn't shoot them. Fortunately they complied with my commands and the "What could have been" became the "Not this time" factor.

The latter case was a whacked out loon I had had problems with in the nighborhood and I stopped his attack by drawing a concealed pistol and aiming it at his face and ordering him to stop or die. He stopped.

I've had no further problems with the asshole and I am glad I didn't shoot him.

I don't envy those who have had to kill.

I just want to shoot targets and go hunting. Oh, yeah, and be left the hell alone: That way no one gets hurt and I sleep without nightmares.

To those of you that fight the monsters, you have my undying respect. </div></div>

That is an excellent book. Grossman really hit the nail on the head with his well researched expose on the many facets of taking life. While not his idea exactly, he does a good job of outlining the allegory of the sheep, wolves and the sheepdog.

Served a warrent on a meth lab and was going up the stairs with my team mate when we spotted our main suspect he ran back into the bed room where he was known to keep his guns. He happened to trip at the foot of the bed when I pointed my AR-15 at him and ordered him to stop. he was reaching for the side of the bed when my team mate grabbed and cuffed him. At the side of the bed was a loaded 30-06 right where he was reaching.

Would I have shoot him? Yes i would.

Would I have felt bad? Maybe for a minute, it was his actions that would have determened the outcome.

The bottom line is I will use deadly force to defend myself, my family or anyone else of the situation calls for it. I made that decision when I took the job. And I will do what I have too do to go home to my wife at the end of the day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: astro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could pull the trigger on a child molester, and never miss a wink of sleep!!!! </div></div>

+1

I just killed a whole watermelon, sumbitch been staring at me all week when I drove by so I had the driver go back and get him today so I could knock it off. I feel like such a fat ass now but hey its all good.