• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing hideing scuff marks

terrygood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2009
Atlantic city NJ
How do I hide scuff marks on a ss barrel? I have a m40a1 build from TBA, It has several scuff marks on the barrel. Should I try cold blue or is there somthing else that would work better?
Terry

Re: hideing scuff marks

Cold blue won't work on a SS barrel.

Is it a highly polished barrel? Use a dremel tool with a buffing wheel and you can take them out very quickly.

Try shooting it! You can't see them when you are behind the trigger
smile.gif

Do like we did in the Corps. Bust out the Krylon!!

Seriously. It's an M40A1. The only time they didn't have scuffs and scrapes are when they were being built. Even then I would bet the 2112's didn't sweat a scuff on the barrel.

shit the 2111s hate us LoneWolf, the A3 that we sent back in the window one time looked like hell. They asked us to try and take better care of the rifle. But what Lonewolf said hit that thang with some Krylon

FWIW.... You could have it bead-blasted.... Depends how bad they are.
Or if the barrel is polished you could try some 600-800 (or even finer) grit sand paper. Just make sure you polish in the same direction as the barrel was originally polished in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fatpuddyarno</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW.... You could have it bead-blasted.... Depends how bad they are.
Or if the barrel is polished you could try some 600-800 (or even finer) grit sand paper. Just make sure you polish in the same direction as the barrel was originally polished in. </div></div>

If you don't buff with cloth after this you're going to end up with many more mars on it.

Just a scuff mark only requires buffing wheel and compound.

I am sorry for the confusion. The barrel has been blackend. I think it is light black, maybe teflon coated? I was thinking about refinishing the entire barrel?
Terry