• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hiding a Safe in an exposed room

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    I am getting a very nice large safe from a business liquidation. The issue I have is that it is so big that I won't be able to get it into the nice hidden area I have now for my current safe. The only place I can get it to fit is into a corner of my man cave. The problem is the room is surrounded by large/tall windows that are always open. I don't have neighbors that can peek in or anything, but I do have landscapers/pool boys/pest control/etc that I would prefer it be hidden from. The less 'strangers' that know the better!

What are my options in hiding it? I was wondering if someone has used a hollowed out armoire/wardrobe to hide it and have the front face open up to expose the safe. Any other creative options?

Blinds. Or build walls around it (fairly easy to super easy depending on skill and tools) and make it into part of a closet or something, actually part of the room. That's probably the route I'd take. It'll cost less than trying to make it look like nice furniture too, I imagine.

Disguise it as large furniture though and then you're likely gonna have another problem with the pool boy --because that's exactly how small marijuana gardens are hidden.

See if one of these will fit.

Reactions: 91Eunozs

See if one of these will fit.
    Oh man, this is almost dead on to what I need! The safe is a 7250HD, so amsec makes a cloak exact fit for it. The only issue is after more reading it looks like they did a crap job with this drape and only cover the front side and not all 3 sides. Unfortunately that means my other sides will be exposed!

Oh man, this is almost dead on to what I need! The safe is a 7250HD, so amsec makes a cloak exact fit for it. The only issue is after more reading it looks like they did a crap job with this drape and only cover the front side and not all 3 sides. Unfortunately that means my other sides will be exposed!
    Hire a cabinet guy to make you a custom cabinet that looks like it.

Then he’d have to kill the cabinet guy, he knows too much.
    You never know, he might get locked up in a Mexican prison and be so proud of his work that he tells his cell mate who is in for robbing safes and decides to rob yours when he gets out.

If you go that route just listen for the locket with the music to know when they are trying to break in.

Reactions: Jonny_ and MK3XXX
    I am getting a very nice large safe from a business liquidation. The issue I have is that it is so big that I won't be able to get it into the nice hidden area I have now for my current safe. The only place I can get it to fit is into a corner of my man cave. The problem is the room is surrounded by large/tall windows that are always open. I don't have neighbors that can peek in or anything, but I do have landscapers/pool boys/pest control/etc that I would prefer it be hidden from. The less 'strangers' that know the better!

What are my options in hiding it? I was wondering if someone has used a hollowed out armoire/wardrobe to hide it and have the front face open up to expose the safe. Any other creative options?
    When I got a very large ammo safe ... I put it in the garage/shop and it's been fine there. Real estate in the house just didn't support main house storage. BTW ... the garage/shop is heated.

You could also camouflage it with wall paper or paint that matches the surrounding walls.
    Saw that in a local jewelry shop and they said a lot of people don't even notice it.

Had a similar problem. Ended with sawing safe in half and welding it back together at place where I needed it. It was old single wall safe, not the modern, good looking one.

Trying to hide a safe in a piece of furniture or make it look like one makes little sense to me. The average thief isn't looking for a safe.. He is looking for things that are easy to sell quick at the pawn shop like flat screen TVs. They will open drawers and cabinets looking for a TV or grandmothers silver flatware and find your safe. They probably won't be equipped to take it but they will come back with the manpower and tools to get it. A friend had a similar size safe with problems resembling yours. He built a closet in the garage, put 2 layers of 5/8" sheetrock on both sides of the wall for increased fire rating and installed metal fire doors with deadbolts. On the doors he pop riveted metal signs that read Mechanical Room/Shock hazard. He did have a dedicated alarm system on the garage.

Ok guys, I get it. Most of you think I am overthinking the part about people seeing it haha

I've got another question for you guys. The flooring in the room is travertine tiles, is that gonna be an issue? I was thinking of putting a horse stall mat under the safe to somewhat protect the tiles. But the other issue I thought about was whether the wheels on the dollies they will use to move the safe will crack tiles on the way. The safe is nearly 2,500 lb.

Last edited:
    Ok guys, I get it. Most of you think I am overthinking the part about people seeking it haha

I've got another question for you guys. The flooring in the room is travertine tiles, is that gonna be an issue? I was thinking of putting a horse stall mat under the safe to somewhat protect the tiles. But the other issue I thought about was whether the wheels on the dollies they will use to move the safe will crack tiles on the way. The safe is nearly 2,500 lb.
    Your safe guys should lay down a "road" of plywood or aluminum plates (or something similar that spreads the load) while rolling the safe into place. When setting it, they should put some felt pads on the bottom of the safe to keep the steel off the floor. The horse mat is a good option, even if it will make getting the safe into its final position a little tougher on the installers.

While the fake wooden closet pieces attached with magnets are brilliant, I've got to say that the OP was on to something with the idea of repurposing all those tv cabinet/entertainment centers that were made for the old tv's that were 30 inches deep instead of 1 inch deep. I've got to figure out what to do with two of those (once I figure out how to trick my kids into hauling away the two 700 pound Sony Trinitron's that currently sleep there).

If your floor was properly put down, the travertine should be find, but that's a big IF. As noted above, the load should be spread over a larger area using plywood or fat dolly tires.

....the other issue I thought about was whether the wheels on the dollies they will use to move the safe will crack tiles on the way. The safe is nearly 2,500 lb.
    If your tile was set without gaps in the mortar bed that helps. I used a ~1/4” thick insulation pad without seams under 1” floor sheathing (plywood), the kind that interlocks at the edges. This worked while rolling a safe over a relatively fragile tile floor with a two wheel dolly. The pad and the ply help to minimize pressure points.
    MP Global INSUL100

Last edited: