• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

High back pressure suppressed semi. Clean / lube ?

BurtG

GOLDEN TICKET HOLDER
Supporter
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Nov 9, 2022
    Northeast
    Anyone just douche everything out with gun scrubber then once clean and dry hit with hornady dry lube ?
    Seems like for guns that are shot and then set a while before being shot again , rubbing them wet just makes them gum up after they set.

What is your cleaning and lube procedure for suppressed semi autos ?

Oh and how much accurate barrel life will you have if you shoot 30-40 rounds in 120 seconds ?

1C003169-A5BE-4F5D-B3B3-594FD2A8922C.jpeg

I am going to switch to mobile synthetic I think after I clean her up good and see how that works. I had to spray rem oil (all I had) in it to keep her running last weekend. Dirty business with suppressed ar and that's with a piston kit on it

Reactions: BurtG
    I just run MGL in the action, and add more as needed. I hit the bores with boretech eliminator when I'm done. If the action gets really caked up I might pull the bcg and wipe with a paper towel.

Otherwise my gas guns stay pretty clean between firing when not running suppressed.

Toothpaste and water for cleaning and lite coat of CLP is all you’ll ever need

Mobil 1 5w30 FTW. Never even considered it, until I got into suppressors. The additives in the oil are made to fight carbon deposits in your engine. Why wouldn't they do the same in your rifle?

Admittedly, I'm not the most punctual cleaner. But I don't feel like I NEED to clean my pistols/semis as much for one, and the Mobil1 really does aid in the ability to just "wipe it off".

Best I can offer, accuracy wise: I have 2 semis, that I can guarantee have followed exactly what I listed above, that are hovering 3k rounds each with no degradation in accuracy thus far.

A little smoky sometimes early on; but I'm never the one that's fouled up, clearing malfunctions at the line, on range day. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: rlsmith1 and BurtG
    Anyone just douche everything out with gun scrubber then once clean and dry hit with hornady dry lube ?
    Seems like for guns that are shot and then set a while before being shot again , rubbing them wet just makes them gum up after they set.

Oh and how much accurate barrel life will you have if you shoot 30-40 rounds in 120 seconds ?

View attachment 8213770

I typically use Mobil 1 5-30 or FP-10 lube. I've never shot that tempo with my gas guns and a can, but I'm curious. So, now I gotta go try it out. lol

WAR Rifles near Tremont, PA? Did you shoot the gas gun match on saturday?

WAR Rifles near Tremont, PA? Did you shoot the gas gun match on saturday?
    Yeah top 5 finish. Not sure if skill or trigger enthusiasm

Got 3rd when i shot one of the gas gun matches last year but there was good shooters there Saturday with the bolt gun match being Sunday

Last edited:
    Reactions: AMGtuned
    Yeah top 5 finish. Not sure if skill or trigger enthusiasm

Got 3rd last time but there was good shooters there Saturday with the bolt gun match being Sunday

Congrats! I was there yesterday for the bolt gun match. Lots of good shooters there and a great range to shoot! It was my first time at that range.

Congrats! I was there yesterday for the bolt gun match. Lots of good shooters there and a great range to shoot! It was my first time at that range.
    Thanks yeah that’s a nice range , wind can be erratic there. Sometimes you have to hold opposite directions for targets to the left and right.

place is only 90 minutes from me have to drive 5.5-6.5 hours to pigg or mkm to find a comparable quality range

Thanks yeah that’s a nice range , wind can be erratic there. Sometimes you have to hold opposite directions for targets to the left and right.

place is only 90 minutes from me have to drive 5.5-6.5 hours to pigg or mkm to find a comparable quality range

That wind was definitely changing on us yesterday too. We're in similar situations. I grew up near Lebanon, but have been in the Pittsburgh region since 2005. So, WAR was a little more than a 4 hour drive for me. I'm about 1-1/2 hrs from MKM and am a member as well. MKM is awesome! I wish I lived closer. Pigg is on my list for next year.

I can’t comment on suppressors as mine are still locked up waiting for release. But I did switch to T6 (I keep it around the farm) and I have noticed my bcg doesn’t get dry as easily and everything cleans up very easily. It does stink though first bit firing. I only use a small thin coat. I keep it in a small dropper bottle.

Bullet type and caliber play a big role in life, barrel quality and treatment play a huge role in heat related damage as well. I’ve seen M4s run til they were white hot, was it good for it?, probably not but it was probably a 6-8 moa barrel/ammo combo to begin with. How often you get that barrel that hot and bother comes into play as well.

I give you props for just making it through without breaking it.

• Wow
    Mobil 1 5w30 FTW. Never even considered it, until I got into suppressors. The additives in the oil are made to fight carbon deposits in your engine. Why wouldn't they do the same in your rifle?

Admittedly, I'm not the most punctual cleaner. But I don't feel like I NEED to clean my pistols/semis as much for one, and the Mobil1 really does aid in the ability to just "wipe it off".

Best I can offer, accuracy wise: I have 2 semis, that I can guarantee have followed exactly what I listed above, that are hovering 3k rounds each with no degradation in accuracy thus far.

A little smoky sometimes early on; but I'm never the one that's fouled up, clearing malfunctions at the line, on range day. 🤷‍♂️
    Any issues with the 5w30 when it gets cold (~0F)?

Reactions: AMGtuned
    Mobile 1 synthetic. I use it as a cleaner and lubricant. The bolt/carrier are lightly coated on all parts with Mobile 1- enough to appear wet, not enough to drip. This is the state the gun is left in when put away.

Pull the gun from storage and go shoot. My range days are typically 100 rounds or less per gun.

When I get home, or when I think about it, I pull the bcg and clean it. Wiping it with a cotton cloth removes all of the carbon and oil remnants. Use a mop, or fashion one to clean the recesses in the carrier. Once the parts are all clean, they get a light coat of Mobile 1 Syn on all surfaces. I don’t actually lube the bolt face/lugs, or the firing pin. Then I use a cotton cloth to wipe out the upper receiver and the charging handle. A light coat of oil goes on the CH as well. The rifle is reassembled and put away.

Every 4 or 500 rounds I clean the bore with Boretech C4. If I clean the bore, I put a piece of painters’ tape on the stock, with info on when the rifle was cleaned.

I have tried to make a point of cleaning all firearms- regardless of if (or how much) they have been shot the previous year, in January.

This works for me. It may or may not work for you.

Reactions: AMGtuned and BurtG
    Build deets? I see an rpr stock, was that one listed in the px last week or so?
    Bought that a few years back. Guy built it to shoot hot 77s
    Saturn cut rifled 20”
    AGB
    Law folder
    G nm trigger.
    RPR stock. (I really like that stock )
    He set it up right. Feels like shooting a 10/22 and the most accurate AR I have shot and I’ve shot a few. I added the arca/can/bipod/scope

Pistol has a zev upper and magwell kkm barrel. Comp. not sure what else inside. I added the sro. Sweet shooter.

I wipe pretty clean for the cold. I'd like to believe that the material soaks up enough that it still works when wiped off.

When it's that cold, it's quite dry. So the hot rifle is what induces moisture concern. A fine balance of lube seems to be the ticket.

Also; the teens is usually my limit. Static Temps don't often hover at zero here. It's the wind that makes it that cold. And when there's cold wind like that, homie ain't shooting unless he's gotta.

Reactions: rlsmith1 and BurtG
    Not 5w30 but I did a test this winter.

Reactions: BurtG and rlsmith1
    I wipe pretty clean for the cold. I'd like to believe that the material soaks up enough that it still works when wiped off.

When it's that cold, it's quite dry. So the hot rifle is what induces moisture concern. A fine balance of lube seems to be the ticket.

Also; the teens is usually my limit. Static Temps don't often hover at zero here. It's the wind that makes it that cold. And when there's cold wind like that, homie ain't shooting unless he's gotta.
    Got it, I usually use Slip2000 for my ARs and it's worked well enough for me. We get a few days of well below 0F here each year and I try to leave a rifle outside overnight to check function at those temps. I like to run my rifles dry in general, but they do get oil and a clean when things get sluggish. I'm generally running suppressed rifles that shoot fine without a suppressor so the cold generally isn't an issue

I run EWL Slip 2000 without issue

Suppressor adds shit to the action. No way around it except a piston. But that shit still accumulates elsewhere.
    pistons dont change the fowling all that much

its the blowback from the can, into the action that gets them dirty. a DI just adds a little extra.

i have a suppressed AK krink 762 that gets plenty filthy. pistols are the same.

in fact, i dont use cans on my LWRC’s or MCX’s because that defeats the purpose of a clean running rifle.

i leave that dirty work to the dirty DI’s and just keep them wet with motor oil.

And be uncultured swine ?
    Go straight trailer park with the most aggressive brake you can find. Be that dude with open headers on his Honda Accord. 🤣🤣🤣

When I am shooting them a bunch in the summertime i have some ultimate lube. I am pretty sure it's about like Lucas oil treatment. For the winter I get that all cleaned back out in favor of a very thin oil applied in a very conservative manner and wiped off.

• Haha

View attachment 8213770
    I use the OSS (aka Huxwurx) suppressors on my gas guns. They work as advertised and the guns don’t get any dirtier than the non-suppressed variety.

So the cleaning regimen isn’t any different. I use to ask the ex-wives to clean my AR-15s after they got done ironing my shirts.

Now that they are gone, I do it myself.

Reactions: tucaz
    I use the OSS (aka Huxwurx) suppressors on my gas guns. They work as advertised and the guns don’t get any dirtier than the non-suppressed variety.

So the cleaning regimen isn’t any different. I use to ask the ex-wives to clean my AR-15s after they got done ironing my shirts.

Now that they are gone, I do it myself.
    heard lots of good things about the flow throughs.

wish i didnt have so many old ones….

how is the POI shift on yours?

heard lots of good things about the flow throughs.

wish i didnt have so many old ones….

how is the POI shift on yours?
    I have only shot them suppressed and have not evaluated and POI shift.