• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

High blood pressure and losing weight

rolin808

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2011
Hawaii
I'm looking to see if anyone can give me the laymens explanation of how high blood pressure directly affects weight loss ? I found thru pass experience that my blood pressure goes down as I lose weight , but isn't dangerous to be trying to lose the weight by doing exercises and having your already high pressure go even higher? Thanks

Re: High blood pressure and losing weight

blood pressure and heart rate are different- they are obviously related, but not the same. Heart rate is what makes considerable climbs with high-output exercise.

Blood pressure related to weight- I'm only going to guess here since I'm no physician. Being over weight likely constricts some of your blood pathways- usually you have a higher cholesteral level, so thicker blood plus more resistance to flow... Then consider, your heart is a muscle- if you are out of shape, it is out of shape. Causing more strain...

Thanks it make sense , I'm trying to monitor it and a doctor gave some meds cause of the strenuous work that I do pushes my pressure to high that and some low impact excerise till I'm back in shape

Very complex interaction of genetics, weight gain, diet, exercise, etc. Numerous theories try to explain how the body reacts to changes, such as weight gain (primarily fat accumulation). Small amounts of storage of fat is a survival mechanism, but excess amounts start to cause changes in body chemistry. Just like loading up an car beyond what it can carry safely, the body has to work harder to accomadate the load. This results in increased work load (faster heart rate, higher blood pressure when exercising, etc.). However, extra fat also leads to changes in body chemistry/metabolism, which leads to increased cholesterol, insulin resistance, inflammatory states (enhanced atherosclerosis), etc. How your body handles it is dependent upon weight, genetics, etc., each element can play a huge role in your health.

researchers refer to this as the "metabolic syndrome"

Basically the bigger you are the heart has to pump extra hard to reach the tissues . As you know the heart is a muscle and muscles grow if worked out , the key here is if your heart growns your cardiac output decreases leading to left sided heart failure. And it gets more interesting and complex after that. If you have to pump water further away from the source it causes strain on the pump. I hope this helps.

This is actually more complicated than it sounds.

When a person is overweight, more pressure is required to move blood throughout the body is the just of it.

Abdominal fat in particular raises blood pressure because it tends to both harden and thicken arteries more than other types of fat. When this happens it takes more pressure to circulate blood through the body as a whole because the inner diameter of the blood vessels is smaller. Added pressure from fat on the kidneys makes the kidneys want more blood, and since the vessels are narrow and hard it also takes more pressure to supply them, this results in an increase in blood pressure.
Making things worse,
The extra demand on the heart increases adrenalin output; adrenalin increases salt retention, raising blood pressure further.
With the way feedback works in the body, being overweight just creates a perfect storm of sorts with regards to blood pressure.

Losing weight removes most of these factors in otherwise healthy people and the increased blood flood is no longer needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jmilera</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Basically the bigger you are the heart has to pump extra hard to reach the tissues . As you know the heart is a muscle and muscles grow if worked out , the key here is if your heart growns your cardiac output decreases leading to left sided heart failure. And it gets more interesting and complex after that. If you have to pump water further away from the source it causes strain on the pump. I hope this helps. </div></div>

You are sort of right.

You are referring to ventricular hypertrophy,
There are two types, physiological and pathological hypertrophy.
Physiological hypertrophy is a good thing and basically just means the building of heart muscle mass (size) which increases cardiac output. This is typically the result of exercise and conditioning.
The type of hypertrophy you are referring to which is a problem and associated with hypertension is pathological hypertrophy and it is the result of what amounts to scar tissue. Muscle mass and heart size is still increased but the tissue doesn’t aid cardiac output.

Takes me back to A&P class.

Consult your doctor as to how much, how intense and how often your should exercise in the beginning. If you lose some weight and get into better shape you might be able to get off the meds. Good luck.