• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes High end optics choices for Scar 17?

ScarBliss

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2012
So I can't decide if I want to keep waiting for the S&B 1-8 for another 3 years :-/ or just go ahead and buy a March 1-10 tactical mil/mil. I don't care for the CQBSS due to the fact that you can only get daylight bright with a horus reticle, and I hate horus reticles. Also everywhere I have seen the horus version is 4K+, and I am not LEO so no discount, and for that money I could have another S&B and some change. Is there anything else out there I am missing? IOR is out due to how bulky it is and the fact that every IOR I have ever looked through looks sort of...yellow? Which has put me off them. I also was thinking of a nightforce 2.5-10x24 plus an offset aimpoint, but I can't find any of the 2.5-10x24's in a mil/mil setup, or at all lately actually, and I do not care for the 2.5-10x32. I personally think it's a bit too long for a carbine and that's just my taste which isn't going to change, so unless I can find a serviceable x24 nightforce is out of the picture. The 1-8+ is really what I have my heart set on, I don't see myself being satisfied with a 1-6. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Re: High end optics choices for Scar 17?

What about the Premier 1-8x24? I believe USO is coming out with one too.

I'm pondering a 1-6x24 when I do get my SCAR 17.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about the Premier 1-8x24? I believe USO is coming out with one too.

I'm pondering a 1-6x24 when I do get my SCAR 17. </div></div>

Unfortunately those are both vaporware as well.

Have you though about getting a scope to hold you over until the 1-8x start hitting the street? If so you may what to look at the Bushnell 1-6.5x.

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you though about getting a scope to hold you over until the 1-8x start hitting the street? If so you may what to look at the Bushnell 1-6.5x.

Mike @ CST </div></div>

I actually reserved a 1-8 with you online way back in the day when we thought they were going to be released june 2011 =), hopefully they will be one day. I may give the bushnell a shot if you think it's decent, do you have any in stock by chance?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SCARbliss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you though about getting a scope to hold you over until the 1-8x start hitting the street? If so you may what to look at the Bushnell 1-6.5x.

Mike @ CST </div></div>

I actually reserved a 1-8 with you online way back in the day when we thought they were going to be released june 2011 =), hopefully they will be one day. I may give the bushnell a shot if you think it's decent, do you have any in stock by chance? </div></div>

LOL...

We have a few of the 1-6.5x in stock in FFP. I have been really happy with the 3.5-21x50mm I have a feeling I will really like the 1-6.5x also.

Mike @ CST

I"m looking for one also for my 17.
I'm thinking about a low power USO for it until the Premier comes out.

I have a SS 1-4 FFP HD on my 17 and it runs well. I primarily use it for 3 gun matches and it works well as a fast mover on the close up stages on 1x. I did forget to change the magnification for the next stage. That sucked.

I've stretched it's legs out to 600 yards and it really worked well. I don't know how much farther I could take it though.

Somehow I don't see a SCAR 17 as a short-range weapon requiring a CQB type optic. IMO, a 1.5-6x scope like the USO SN-4 or an ELCAN (1.5x/6x) SpecterDR would be the ticket. Add a piggybacked MRD if you really want CQB and you have a do-it-all optic system. Here's my ELCAN SpecterDR 1x/4x with Docter MRD as an example:

ELCANSOCOMSpecterDR10-06xxxx004.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Somehow I don't see a SCAR 17 as a short-range weapon requiring a CQB type optic. IMO, a 1.5-6x scope like the USO SN-4 or an ELCAN (1.5x/6x) SpecterDR would be the ticket. Add a piggybacked MRD if you really want CQB and you have a do-it-all optic system. Here's my ELCAN SpecterDR 1x/4x with Docter MRD as an example:

ELCANSOCOMSpecterDR10-06xxxx004.jpg
</div></div>

I'm going to hold out for the S&B 1-8 on the advice of a man much more educated in glass than I. Definitely a cool looking setup you got there, and very authentic, just a bit too heavy for me and not enough top end for what I want to personally do, and I really value the 1x on the low end.

It's not about "glass" per se, it's about how you intend to use your rifle. For example, if you are a varmint hunter and need to use your rifle quickly at different distances because you don't know where the next critter will pop up, you don't want to be cranking your S&B from 8x to 1x when it does. I've had that happen and that's why the typical variable magnification scopes don't interest me. The SpecterDR/Docter I mentioned would give you 1x, 1.5x and 6x almost instantaneously. If you shoot tactical matches with targets that are very close and very far in the same sequence, then you need to find a fast optic, and the reticle is another critical element to consider. Finally, you want 8x but can you "hold it" and does your SCAR 17 have sufficient accuracy at long range? The shooter, rifle and optic are an integrated system and making a decision on one aspect like "glass" is not optimum, IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not about "glass" per se, it's about how you intend to use your rifle. For example, if you are a varmint hunter and need to use your rifle quickly at different distances because you don't know where the next critter will pop up, you don't want to be cranking your S&B from 8x to 1x when it does. I've had that happen and that's why the typical variable magnification scopes don't interest me. The SpecterDR/Docter I mentioned would give you 1x, 1.5x and 6x almost instantaneously. If you shoot tactical matches with targets that are very close and very far in the same sequence, then you need to find a fast optic, and the reticle is another critical element to consider. Finally, you want 8x but can you "hold it" and does your SCAR 17 have sufficient accuracy at long range? The shooter, rifle and optic are an integrated system and making a decision on one aspect like "glass" is not optimum, IMO. </div></div>

It's also a lot heavier though (I've owned a 1-4 specter before and it was a TANK) and you have to break cheek weld to use your mrds, not sure what you mean by holding 8x? Obviously not going to be shooting 8x offhand if you are referring to wobble. I've taken the scar out to 800 yards before with my 3-12 S&B before and have been very pleased with it, hence why I am looking for at least 8x on the top end. I don't like struggling to make out the target with less than that, that's just me and how my eyes work.

Personal choice has a lot to do with the decision, especially the reticle. I disagree about the weight of the SpecterDR, it's slightly less than a S&B 1.1-4x Short Dot with Badger Rings. And can you hold your cheek weld while cranking your scope from 8x to 1x? The SpecterDR/Docter optic in the image is the SOC configuration, refined after several iterations. My main attraction to it is the reticle, sight picture and rapid transitions. I hope you get your S&B sooner rather than later, I was at the SHOT show when the S&Bs first appeared and were going to be available later in the year. Of course that was over two years ago!

* 1x/4x Specter DR weighs 640g (with mount)
* 1-8x24 S&B weighs 655g without a mount (add another 110g for 34mm rings)