• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes High End QD Mount?

slyfox

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2012
IN
Can anyone recommend a good QD mount. Obviously I want something that will have as little zero shift as possible with removal and remounting. I don't have any experience with QD mounts so I am unsure what separates a LaRue from lets say American Defense. This will be going on a scar 16 in 556. I have considered just doing fixed rings but I like the idea of being able to shoot irons by removing the optic. I don't really want to do ring/side mounted backup irons so a QD mount seems like the logical path.

Re: High End QD Mount?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Low cost, Bobro. Higher cost, GDI.

http://www.snipershide.com/2012/03/gdi-p-rom-l-model%E2%84%A2/</div></div>

Second that... I think the two best would be those for QD.

Another vote for Bobro Engineering, great mounts. I really like the self adjusting lever. Definately a return to zero mount.

I also run the GDI and they are great as well.

Both Andrew and Marco are great people to deal with and take great care in the design of their product.

Availability is going to be an issue with the GDI so if it were me I would go the Bobro route.

See people confuse "high end" QD with using it on a 5.56... so automatically price becomes an issue.

Most default to Larue because they use them on M4 / 556 type rifles which are generally shot inside 100 yards, or the maximum distance of 300 yards. With a mid range optic or less so of course they work well and don't see any issue with them. However if you really get down to it, this is not a "precision rifle mount". The attachment point has not changed between the SPR and the OBR, so you are relying on the same security originally designed for a low recoiling rifle.

Heck just watch the Magpul Dynamics video, the proof is there in HD. They talk up the Larue, make sure everyone is using them and then right after Chris Costa has an issue with his Larue QD coming loose and to cover it up, they go into that Monkey Drill to swap everyone's scopes ... yet they are affordable and readily available, not to mention the freebies, so all is right with the world and why not, they have brand recognition and a huge following. No one questions the decision when you say you bought one. But is it High End or the Best Component for a Precision Rifle ? Well that is debatable...

Agreed that GDI need to get their stock up, they are used to selling to the military in bulk and focusing on that one sale at a time. So the retail aspect of things are new to them. And for low cost I like the Bobro as noted, they are a well made mount also, but make no mistake... People tend to overlook the options too, like the ability to mount your red dot, the fact you can use your leatherman to adjust it, not only that, but tighten it so it won't come off without pressing a knife edge into the rails. That may not seem like much of difference but if you think about the bearing surface being used, it is. I have twice now ran the Gunsite XLR Class with a GDI on my 338LM and also shot the K&M match with a set of GDI under those conditions and never once was there an issue of them coming loose. Even after 200+ rounds of 338.

The cheapest optics I have mounted is a NF F1, all the others are S&B, 3-20x and 5-25x, so why would you trust a $3,200+ optic in a $200 or less QD mount... even my Fixed mounts for these scopes are a Spuhr which are not QD but still cost $450, so there is definitely a pattern there.

You can't expect Badger / fixed ring reliability from a QD mount that recommends Loctite just to keep the ring halves in place. Thought I do like he at least changed the ring design to move them out of the way of the turret.

They work, and many people are happy with them, you're decision will be a solid one with the masses, but don't confuse high end with the most common application which is 556 inside 100 yards, or at least not beyond 300.

Thanks for everyones input. I am still waiting for us optics to release that 1-8x with red dot option so I can put it in a qd mount. If the uso never surfaces I will grab an s&b 1-8 so I don't believe either optic is low range. I still have a bit of time to decide, just wanted to get some advice.

LoneWolfUSMC did a review of the Bobro and concluded its return to zero is excellent. here is the link to the video. I thought it was very well done. He also did the ADM but it did not fare so well. He plans to do a Larue. I am wondering how this will go.

Check out the ARMS #22 QD rings. They repeat perfectly. Just like any QD mount, there is a little front to back play on the rail before you throw the lever. Mount the rearward ring pushing forward on it when you throw the lever. Do the same for the front ring. When you put it back after taking it off do the same.

I replaced my LaRue mounts with Bobros', and I'm much happier with them.

My experience with the LaRue rings is you need to have the levers tight, tighter than their ACOG mount. If you can get them loose with bare fingers, they may not be tight enough.
This was on AR (556) as well as Rem 700 (308).
Set up that way, no problems with return to zero even though they were regularly replaced with a D760 NV scope custom mounted to a LaRue ACOG base.

Just out of curiosity, as I have my own opinions on the mounts talked about in this thread, does anybody actually rely on the RTZ feature of the scope mounts? Sure adjusting just a couple clicks in nice, but the same reliability can be had with a good torque wrench and some witness marks. Let's be honest, if you ever take your optics off your gun and throw them back on without actually shooting the gun to confirm zero you deserve losing out on the prize table, so I don't understand why people get excited about it's RTZ ability, as minute of pie plate barely qualifies as RTZ.

I'll have to watch LoneWolf's video later to see his results but I've never seen one RTZ precisely enough to call it that.

I've never had problems with my LaRue. But they have been used in the same manner Lowlight mentioned.

I'm in the market myself for a rtz mount. I need one for my 18" OBR Leupold MK6 combo that sits lower than a LT111. I like that GDI, is it nice and low?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">See people confuse "high end" QD with using it on a 5.56... so automatically price becomes an issue.

Most default to Larue because they use them on M4 / 556 type rifles which are generally shot inside 100 yards, or the maximum distance of 300 yards. With a mid range optic or less so of course they work well and don't see any issue with them. However if you really get down to it, this is not a "precision rifle mount". The attachment point has not changed between the SPR and the OBR, so you are relying on the same security originally designed for a low recoiling rifle.

Heck just watch the Magpul Dynamics video, the proof is there in HD. They talk up the Larue, make sure everyone is using them and then right after Chris Costa has an issue with his Larue QD coming loose and to cover it up, they go into that Monkey Drill to swap everyone's scopes ... yet they are affordable and readily available, not to mention the freebies, so all is right with the world and why not, they have brand recognition and a huge following. No one questions the decision when you say you bought one. But is it High End or the Best Component for a Precision Rifle ? Well that is debatable...

Agreed that GDI need to get their stock up, they are used to selling to the military in bulk and focusing on that one sale at a time. So the retail aspect of things are new to them. And for low cost I like the Bobro as noted, they are a well made mount also, but make no mistake... People tend to overlook the options too, like the ability to mount your red dot, the fact you can use your leatherman to adjust it, not only that, but tighten it so it won't come off without pressing a knife edge into the rails. That may not seem like much of difference but if you think about the bearing surface being used, it is. I have twice now ran the Gunsite XLR Class with a GDI on my 338LM and also shot the K&M match with a set of GDI under those conditions and never once was there an issue of them coming loose. Even after 200+ rounds of 338.

The cheapest optics I have mounted is a NF F1, all the others are S&B, 3-20x and 5-25x, so why would you trust a $3,200+ optic in a $200 or less QD mount... even my Fixed mounts for these scopes are a Spuhr which are not QD but still cost $450, so there is definitely a pattern there.

You can't expect Badger / fixed ring reliability from a QD mount that recommends Loctite just to keep the ring halves in place. Thought I do like he at least changed the ring design to move them out of the way of the turret.

They work, and many people are happy with them, you're decision will be a solid one with the masses, but don't confuse high end with the most common application which is 556 inside 100 yards, or at least not beyond 300.

</div></div>
Thank you for that, I learn something new everyday off this fine site.

See people confuse "high end" QD with using it on a 5.56... so automatically price becomes an issue.

Yes, I got SPUR for my Premier Tactical 5-25x Tactical

The attachment point has not changed between the SPR and the OBR, so you are relying on the same security originally designed for a low recoiling rifle.

I agree with this. I use an LT158 for my precision rifle scope. I change optics around a lot because of my scope reviews. That, and the fact that I already had the mount, are the reasons that I use the LT158. However, I have found that to get a sufficiently tight hold to withstand heavier recoil and eliminate any shift the Larue must be further tightened with the wrench after it is mounted. Obviously, it then requires the wrench to loosen and is no longer QD. I agree, it is a good but not great solution for a precision rifle mount. I have never had a Larue come loose but they can slightly shift under recoil when not overtightened.

Furthermore, I have, and have had, a variety of Larue mounts over the years. Some of these mounts were very old when I bought them and I think that there may be some long term issues with the springs that tension the locking levers. Some of my mounts have unquestionably stiffer springs and therefore much greater gripping force when not wrench tightened. These are the ones I bought new. The oldest Larue that I have has basically no spring tension left at all. I should probably send it back rather than just cranking it down with the wrench.

While some mounts are advertised as "QD", anything that uses a nut or cross bolts to attach or remove from a rail is not QD. It does not take a tremendous amount of time to remove and install them, but with out the exact same torque being applied when reinstalled you simply cannot expect to maintain a constant POI. The locking designs used on ADM, BoBro and GDI apply the same torque value every single time. The A.R.M.S. rings will be a gamble, they are not adjustable which means that on your rail they will either be too loose, just right, or excessively tight. The new A.R.M.S. MKII addressing this however. I am not a LaRue mount fan at all, in my opinion it is a poor design for repeated on/off use on a precision type rifle.

I have been 100% happy with my Larue mounts. I do run them tight though. And Frank was pretty well spot on- I use them mostly on AR's and the like, so most shooting is inside 200m and the targets are not tiny, so perhaps I don't see the shift because it is inside the gray area. On my precision rifles I use Spuhr.

Re. Larue mounts: They are serviceable on a 5.56 rifle (as L.L. said) and were the best you could get...until there was something better...there are now at least three better options IMHO: GDI, Bobro, and ADM in that order of preference (again IMHO ;)). As for ARMS... well... Dick Swan...

"LoneWolfUSMC did a review of the Bobro and concluded its return to zero is excellent. here is the link to the video. I thought it was very well done. He also did the ADM but it did not fare so well. He plans to do a Larue. I am wondering how this will go."

No linky!!

Last edited:

I have a group of buddies that all run Larue and wont even consider anything else much for the reasons you listed above. I have even shown them my Bobro mounts and the ability to swap between guns without adjusting etc, and the best response I got was "that spring inside scares me".. It sounds like "change" is what scares them but I digress.
We just purchased our 2nd and 3rd Bobro Mounts for our NF3.5-15x50's and could not be happier! The improved design with these later models (I had a Gen 1 previously) that allows the screws to be torqued properly (from above) without an engineering degree makes these mounts a great value.
I would not hesitate to recommend Bobro to anyone who is looking for a mounting system, we also use his ACOG mount and it is as nice as the rest of his gear.

For my next optic I will be looking hard at the GDI mount. That thing is just sexy in my mind. I just couldn't manage the extra $$ along with the 2 NF's... Next time...

Bobro 34mm question...

OP: please forgive this slight thread derail...

Now for my question: I just took delivery of a Mk6 1-6 5.56 CMR-W (from Scott at Liberty Optics, btw). I've really been wanting to use the Bobro 34mm mount to mount it on a 16" AR15 middy. I've noticed that the 34mm mount does not seem to have as much cantilever as their 30mm mounts, probably due the the addition of the 2nd lock-lever/clamping mechanism.

So... my question is: Will the Bobro 34mm mount allow me to set the Mk6 1-6 far enough forward to achieve proper eye relief on an AR 15? Or is that mount only suited for larger frame rifles i.e. AR10 and clones?