• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing high grade torx tools?

kyle1974

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2009
Corpus Christi
is there any resource or place that sells high quality torx tools? I have a T10 size bolt that I cannot get off a base. I have sheered two torx tools already, and twisted a third...

I really don't want to grind off the base since it is about $100 for a new one....

any ideas, or do I just need to grind it off?

the problem is that I have 1 bolt that is not tightned down all the way (forward most bolt), the other three are rock solid, but I want to take this bolt back out, grind it off a bit, then tighten in back down

Re: high grade torx tools?

I have quite a few snap on tools... if I remember, they harden the tips of their screwdrivers... the only way I ever had one fail was to fracture... that might be the way to go

this steel on these tools I'm using now is just soft crap...

I bought a t handle craftsman last night, and it twisted right away...

Sounds like the screw was loctited on. Heat with a heatgun before trying to remove. This will soften the bond of the loctite and the screw will come out.

Figure out what size the screw is, then drill the head with the same size drill bit and pop the head off, remove the base, vise grips will remove the shank, get a new screw and your GTG, a torque wrench might be a good investment, 15 inch pounds should not cause bits to strip or twist

I bought some ISOMAX torx bits that are stronger than anything else I've used. If you're twisting off bits, not rounding the screw, it's not drill time yet. Try a good solid whack with a hammer (on the screwdriver bit.) That will often break loose the locktite. Next (as suggested above) is a heat gun. Good luck!

yes, it has blue loctite on it... but not very much.. the first time I went down with the screw, I had a normal amount, and after it wouldn't go down, I took it out, and cleaned the loctite off with a rag, then went back down again... I think the hole depth was not deep enough... all the screws that came with the base were the same length. when I went back down the second time, I did over tighten it... thinking I could get the damn thing down to bottom... it was snug, and I needed maybe 1/4-1/2 turn to get what I needed.... I got greedy and F'ed up...

Most of my tools are Proto, Snap-On or Craftsman. All are pretty good tools. If you want to help your odds, try heating the bolt heads a bit to soften the Loc-Tite.

Either buy or borrow an impact driver; craftsman sells them, so does snap on and Mac tools. I personally have a Mac tools one. With the associated bits for it. They are made of the same material that Impact sockets for taking off wheels are made of. They are a lot less prone to breaking and twisting. If you know someone who is a Honda Auto Technician I guarentee that they will have one. Then you just need to get the torx bit attachment for it.