• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors High heat suppressor covers ??

LibertyArms

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2010
Southwest PA
Wandering if anyone has used or seen one in action. While I know this request may be somewhat of an oxymoron..I'm looking for a small think can cover. I have a short suppressor on a 11.5 gun. Wanting something to help aid in burning my leg when transition drills. TAB sent there newer /prototype one out and works buy does heat up Nd eventually melts.( ordering another one anyway as it works well for what it is and as thin as it is ) Any one know of another for a short can that holds up well.

Figured I'd ask

I've played with my high temp armageddon gear cover. So far so good, but no f/a or Sbr. And I'm temp limited by the ti can.

Liberty Arms, I am sure Cole-Tac can fix you up with a fully custom suppressor cover to meet your needs. Matter of fact, they have a High Temperature Python (HTP) model that might work for you as is. There is a video on the site you can check out as well.

Give them a call and ask for Justin. He is the company owner and was extremely helpful and friendly when I called with questions a few months ago. Justin was very prompt with follow-up answers and in sending info I'd asked him to provide. I've no connection whatsoever with Cole-Tac other than being a very satisfied customer!

:LOL: Heck, without my order number, he won't even have a clue who I am! :) Nice guy making a quality product here in the USA though.

Bowers, has cornered the market with his, griptastic silicone cover covers. Look at what everyone uses in Full Auto shoots where any can gets worked out hard.

I have a few bowers and found that they slip forward too easily. Ditched them all and bought Armageddon Gear.

I use a Rifles Only on a Seekins SP10 shooting hogs and am happy with it. Certainly not full auto, but sometimes enough multiple shots to be glad it's there when maneuvering in and around a pickup.

I have a Rifles only HAD cover that works well and can handle full auto fire. The cord that is used to wrap it tight isn't the most user friendly design, but it keeps the wrap on the can. I also have a Cole-Tac high heat cover for another can, and the velcro tabs are quite a bit easier to tighten, and it doesn't slip. I might give a slight edge to the Cole-Tac for ease of use, but they both do what they are designed to do.

Scott

Liberty Arms, I am sure Cole-Tac can fix you up with a fully custom suppressor cover to meet your needs. Matter of fact, they have a High Temperature Python (HTP) model that might work for you as is. There is a video on the site you can check out as well.

Give them a call and ask for Justin. He is the company owner and was extremely helpful and friendly when I called with questions a few months ago. Justin was very prompt with follow-up answers and in sending info I'd asked him to provide. I've no connection whatsoever with Cole-Tac other than being a very satisfied customer!

:LOL: Heck, without my order number, he won't even have a clue who I am! :) Nice guy making a quality product here in the USA though.

I am also a big fan of ColeTac covers . I have bought them for all my suppressors . There customer service is top notch and you can customize to match your preferred pattern . I really like the HTP version , it is a two part cover but their attachment method is the best out there. It says a lot that Silencerco contracts to them for their covers .

My 2 cents I have 2 of Rifles Only HAD covers that just work! Certainly one place you get what you pay for.
H

I love my ColeTac covers. The HTP cover will take some solid abuse. If you want a little discount you can enter the code NICK10 for 10% off your order.

DIY with this silicone dish mat! There’s enough material for at least 2 suppressor covers. Can be held on with rubber bands, tape, Velcro, etc. Works extremely well by allowing air flow for cooling and costs very little. Most other suppressor covers are essentially insulation blankets that trap and hold heat in and around the suppressor .
E1E920C2-85C1-4397-BA94-31CDE60C8803.jpeg
4A47F98F-D3B9-4FDE-ADF4-2D36D313D28D.jpeg

Reactions: twittig and jd9770
DIY with this silicone dish mat! There’s enough material for at least 2 suppressor covers. Can be held on with rubber bands, tape, Velcro, etc. Works extremely well by allowing air flow for cooling and costs very little. Most other suppressor covers are essentially insulation blankets that trap and hold heat in and around the suppressor .View attachment 6896883View attachment 6896884
Did this end up working? I see it says up to 480 degrees and some suppressors get easily up towards 800+

Rifles Only HAD with the inner and outer layer cover works very well and the exposed cord keeps it tightly in place.
Phil G
I have one of these for my omega, it works great for the heat, but mine does tend to migrate forward as I shoot no matter how tight I make it.

Did this end up working? I see it says up to 480 degrees and some suppressors get easily up towards 800+

Yes, it works great! Been using it for almost 2 years on bolt guns without an issue.
I cannot comment on how it would hold up to mag dumps, though.
I tend to shoot 5-10rd strings to keep barrel temps down.

Yes, it works great! Been using it for almost 2 years on bolt guns without an issue.
I cannot comment on how it would hold up to mag dumps, though.
I tend to shoot 5-10rd strings to keep barrel temps down.
My use would be for bolts and occasional ar but no real mag dumps

Very good looking and work like it should, Cole-Tac HTP covers.
We took it to a test with my friend.
I can say that these are great products.

Another vote for Armageddon gear. You can custom order length to fit your suppressor, and the high temp shield is awesome. Great customer service. They actually sent mine out before I paid for it lol.

How well does the cole tac prevent mirage from becoming an issue? Could I shoot 20 rds of 308 pretty quickly without seeing mirage?

Is there a cover that does a better job of mitigating mirage?

They all will pretty much cover you in mitigating mirage over a 20 round string in a bolt gun.

Obviously, the heavier the shielding, the longer it takes for the heat to transfer to the outside of the cover where it can affect mirage. Many manufacturers provide a lighter cover and an alternative heavier or two part cover. If you are in doubt buy one of the thicker two part covers that have an inner and outer layer.

They all will pretty much cover you in mitigating mirage over a 20 round string in a bolt gun.

Obviously, the heavier the shielding, the longer it takes for the heat to transfer to the outside of the cover where it can affect mirage. Many manufacturers provide a lighter cover and an alternative heavier or two part cover. If you are in doubt buy one of the thicker two part covers that have an inner and outer layer.

Well, I have not found that to be the case. I have a really good cover from one of the makers mentioned in this thread, and I'm lucky to get upwards of 5 rounds before seeing the mirage. I'm not shooting rapid bolt drills, just not wasting time. I'd like a cover that allows me to shoot at least 20 rounds, over the span of a couple of minutes.

I'm looking at the Bower (have one on a .22 and its very nice, but hard to judge anything mirage wise), the Armageddon high heat version, the Rifles only MAD and HAD, as well as the Cole-Tac.

If the OP wants, I'll happily start another thread.

I'm curious to know if one of those choices (or another I am unaware of) is a clear winner, as well as what the weights of these covers are. I know the Bower is around 8oz, which I think is heavier than desirable on the end of an already heavy gun.

So, how do these covers stack up?

SLG, I can only offer my experience with a Cole Tac Metal Python Suppressor cover on a 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun and a Cole Tac HTP Suppressor cover on a .308 bolt action. I've not observed an issue in either of these guns with mirage when firing a 20 round string over a 3-4 minute time span from a cool suppressor. However, I do live in an area where temperatures rarely get above 85-90 degrees, and when they do, it is considered to be blistering hot and cause heat warnings to be issued. If you routinely deal with desert temperatures where anything under 100 is only thought of as warm, your mileage may vary. :cool:

Reactions: SLG
Any chance you could weigh them? I feel silly asking, and most of the time the weight won't matter to me, but seeing the SF version, with the metal frame coming in at 1#, and the Bower at 8oz, I'd like to make sure they are closer to the Bower than the SF.

I've only used the Rifles only HAD cover so I have no other products to compare it to, but I feel no need to try anything else. It's held up well 3 years of prairie dog hunts on a bolt gun and an on a 12.5" SBR that can get plenty hot. The construction is simple, light, rugged and effective and it works exactly like you'd expect.

SLG, The actual weight for the Cole Tac covers to fit a TBAC Ultra 7 suppressor came in at:

Metal Python: 59.25 gr or 2.09 oz.
HTP Suppressor: 151.23 gr or 5.33 oz

The weights provided on the Cole Tac website are 2.2 oz and 5.4 oz for the two respective items but I am not sure what length those are quoted for.

Reactions: SLG
I use the HAD. Several of them. They work well, but as someone mentioned before, they work by keeping the heat IN...not the best concept for your suppressor's core. I'll be trying out the magpul design immediately when they drop.

I use the HAD. Several of them. They work well, but as someone mentioned before, they work by keeping the heat IN...not the best concept for your suppressor's core. I'll be trying out the magpul design immediately when they drop.

Which brings up the Bower. Are they "better" since they supposedly allow some air flow under the cover?

SLG, as I mentioned earlier, all of these covers tend to work by trapping the heat in and moderating when it will be allowed to escape. Hopefully this will be long enough to allow you to complete your course of fire before destroying the cover. Simply said, the greater the shielding, the longer the heat transfer is delayed, the longer the mirage issues will be mitigated.

Nevertheless, the heat has to come out sometime and it will affect your view when it does... how does that saying go? "You can pay me now or you can pay me later!"

If you were to go for the Bowers which you state increases air circulation and is more efficient in allowing the heat to escape, well, that would also mean that you may be more likely to start to see some mirage issues with it earlier than with others!

It is all a big tradeoff between rate of temperature rise, heat containment, and heat dissipation which only you can decide on what is right for you.

It seems to me that a curved or even flat piece of ceramic tile that mounts to a rail, maybe the extension of the top rail on the handguard of rifles that have one, or perhaps a kind of boom arm extenting and wrapping up from where the bipod is mounted, thatjust shields the top of the suppressor -- blocking mirage -- and allowing air to flow around it as it would without any cover. More of a shield. It would't place any more weight on the barrel. Would be cumbersome for anything but prone or bench shooting likely but would probably work better at mitigating mirage without endangering the can with excessive heat. Somebody make that and sell me one, please. Or comp me one for the free IP.

Mooncake, some folks McGyver the shields you are referring to out of old aluminum Venetian blind slats! :D

Pell1203,

That all makes sense, of course. I guess I'm trying to hear from people who have used all these (since I have not) if maybe the Bower is the "right" balance of cooling and mirage mitigation, or if one of the others is demonstrably better than its similarly constructed peers. All the "tests" they put on their sites only show heat build up in a casual way. None seem to address the mirage issue. I suppose they are obviously closely related, but handling the can is slightly less important to me than removing mirage.

Sounds like I may just be better off getting maximum insulation, and then pulling it off to cool in between rounds of shooting. I almost always take two guns out at a time, just so i can let my can cool down on the one gun, while I shoot an unsuppressed gun.

Sounds like you are very happy with your Cole Tac, as is servo93 with his HAD. Anyone using the Armageddon version?

I tried the Rifles Only HAD on my DTA. It seems to be problematic for any cartridge with any real recoil. No matter how tight I laced it, it would walk forward on my 6.5SAUM and larger. Also, the lace ends keep coming off which is annoying. Went back to my Armageddon Gear cover (this was for a TB 338 can). Lastly, the HAD is heavy in comparison.

Got a new can coozy the other day, had a minute to screw with it this evening. Didn’t get to the range but will this weekend.
First impressions:
PRO: mounting is SOLID. I don’t think it will move a mm under any recoil
CON: lil bit of a PITA to get on. Won’t slip on/off easily to slip can into the SF pouch.
PRO: only points of contact are two slim, steel mounts. Vast majority of the can is open to air flow.
CON: it’s BIG. Looks Operator A F. I list that as a con because I’m not operator at all and stuff too tacticool makes me feel mall ninja.
CON: way heavier than it looks. Steel mounts and cylinder with polymer sleeve. Easily heavier than the HAD. I don’t have a scale tho.

I’m interested to see how well it abates mirage. I have a scoped Six8 that I can slip it on but I’ll only be looking at 6x. Hopefully magpul puts out larger sizes. Pics are of the magpul on a SOCOM 556 RC2 and the the HAD on a SOCOM68.

Attachments

• AEF3F354-D87F-42FD-A51A-EF3433EC1E72.jpeg
    AEF3F354-D87F-42FD-A51A-EF3433EC1E72.jpeg
    546.1 KB · Views: 169
  • BA365786-E06F-4B21-B238-0C656BFE8F65.jpeg
    BA365786-E06F-4B21-B238-0C656BFE8F65.jpeg
    386.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 6EC17D0A-00ED-4DE3-85F6-417E2DCED40F.jpeg
    6EC17D0A-00ED-4DE3-85F6-417E2DCED40F.jpeg
    514.9 KB · Views: 227
I ended up getting an Armageddon Gear High temp cover. So far, so good.

Dustin... Not Justin.

I finally got around to shooting with the magpul can coozy the past couple days at lunch. Not much time either sesh, but put exactly 300 rounds down range. LWRC M6-IC A5, SF SOCOM556, Aimpoint micro T-1, Federal XM193. Yesterday it was in the low 60s, today around 70F.

Day one I ran 7 x 30 round mags through it in roughly 20 minutes while moving through a 300yd course, so shooting fairly quickly and generating a good amount of heat. Controlled semi-auto fire at steel targets ranging from 50 to 200yds from standing and kneeling unsupported, standing and kneeling off of barricade. I suppose a reasonable approximation of a firefight with a standard loadout? (I dont really know, I've never been in one).

After the first magazine, there was barely any noticeable heat. After two the surface was only slightly warm. It wasn't until after the 5th magazine that the cover was uncomfortable to hold onto with a bare hand. Even after 7 mags I could hold the cover for a moment without pain. The locking ring of the can was way too hot to touch and would have burned skin immediately, melted cordura etc.

The polymer outer cover at its hottest was much more pliable, moved around quite easily on the steel sleeve. The cover mounting ring proximal to the locking ring of the suppressor moved slightly under heat and recoil towards the 'button' on the can and precluded unlocking of the ring until I could tap the cover up out of the way with a brass hammer/ punch. The screw was loose. I cannot recall if I used locktite when I put it on but I don't think so, so that's likely my fault. As with anything under recoil: thread locking compound required.

While shooting I definitely noticed the increased weight at the end of the 14.7" barrel. I'm not one to bitch about weight, but it's added in the worst possible place and the balance point of the carbine was significantly further forward. I didn't like that when shooting unsupported.

Subjectively, it seemed that the can did cool down much more quickly than when using a HAD cover, and I was able to remove the suppressor and set it down without fear of burning anything much sooner after cessation of fire. I don't have anything empirical here though.

Today I only had about 10min at the range and three loaded mags. The cover was not too hot to hold onto when I was done, the can definitely was. I was able to remove the suppressor from the rifle after only a couple minutes.

My conclusion is that the design is more efficient at mitigating heat buildup, protecting skin/gear from the hot can, and heat dissipation than other designs I have used. I cannot comment on mirage first hand (shooting only 1x) but I surmise that would be effectively mitigated too. BUT, it's not worth the weight of the current iteration for a service rifle/carbine. On a belly rifle with a high power optic perhaps, being supported by a bipod or rest, but subjectively it made an otherwise pretty handy carbine seem sluggish.