• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

High or Extra High rings?

wkahler

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2006
Englewood, Ohio
Was going to buy new rings for my flattop AR and not sure if should go with high or extra high rings????? Some ideas would be great, mounting a 3x9 Leupold on it!
Thanks!

Re: High or Extra High rings?

You want to be in the 1.4" range for proper scope height on a standard flattop, which would be extra high from most mfrs. I prefer a one piece base which allows you to mount the optic further forward on the AR, it is difficult to get the scope forward enough for proper eye relief with standard rings.

Kirk R

Its a 3x9x40 and i am looking for a used LaRue or something in a one piece to make up the difference!

If your looking at a Larue one piece mount your probably only gonna get one choice as far as height goes . 1.4-1.5 inches in height works fairly well for stand up shooting but if your gonna be shooting mostly prone you may want a lower setup .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oneshotman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was going to buy new rings for my flattop AR and not sure if should go with high or extra high rings????? Some ideas would be great, mounting a 3x9 Leupold on it!
Thanks! </div></div>

Nightforce ultra light titanium 1.4" or their unimount system.