• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

High Polish Blue. My first one

Keith Johns

Phoenix Custom Rifles
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
This is my first High Polish bluing job. Got a full score

The pictures dont do it justice. This thing came out like a mirror.
Took about 8 hours of work, progressing from 220 grit to 600 grit paper, then red wheel(about 800 grit), then 1200 grit paper, then white high polish wheel.

This was an old worn down .22 that belongs to my grandfather.
IMG_11791.jpg

IMG_11811.jpg

IMG_11801.jpg

IMG_11821.jpg

IMG_11841.jpg

Too bad the stock is in poor shape

I'm not a fan of blued rifles. I think the new space age coatings available(Cerakote) are better for many reasons. But I understand now how much more work goes into blued firearms and how beautiful they can be if done right.
This finish is far beyond any you would find on a factory weapon. If this were done on a high end shotgun, or an African big game rifle, it would cost about $500 depending on the firearm.

Re: High Polish Blue. My first one

It looks great.

The lettering will always tell the quality of the job.

do you polish it before it's blued? What kind of bluing process was done?

Yes, the metal has to be polished to the desired finish before it is blued.

Thats right.
It's a standard blue done to highly polished steel. Costic bluing I believe the correct term is... glad my instructor didn't see that.

We learn slow rust and nitre bluing soon.

It's fun. And it's great when work you did yourself comes out looking so beautiful.

Like I said though, I have little interest in offering another finish(other than Cerakote).

The types of weapons that get blued, I dont work on. And the finish is so fine on a high polish, you can scratch it with a paper towel. Not good for much other than a show gun, or high end skeet shotgun.

Thanks guys

BTW, I need more projects for finishing class. I need to do a matt blue, slow rust, and nitre blue still. I'm out of firearms I can blue.

Why don't you buy a cheap cap and ball revolver and rust blue or nitrite blue that?

Thats beautiful, nice work. Glad to see some blue instead of Duracoat.

when are you getting your ffl?

Some say the blued finish on the bore makes it more durable.

I could see where it would.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cruizer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when are you getting your ffl? </div></div>

Not soon enough
smile.gif

It's in the works.

Very very nice job,as you learned its all about the prep work, the rust blue on the old Winchesters are more art form than science. Nitrite blue is great on triggers ,hammers ,screw heads... pure class If you were closer Id get you to rust blue a pre 74 mod 70 work gun

Keith you need something to use for a bluing project? If so shoot me a pm