• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

High power hunting air guns

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
Has anyone bought one of the big bore, high power hunting air guns?

.50 or .51? Suitable for deer, pigs… apparently cape Buffalo!

I am looking at a couple as the technology has them on par with rifles like Winchester 92’s and Henry cartridge guns that shoot big pistol cartridges.

Full kit with compressor is running g less than $1800 these days. That’s not bad for what these can do.

Anyone an early adopter? Impressions? Likes? Dislikes? Brands? Recommendations?

Anyone tried the arrows/bolts?

Cheers, Sirhr

Not a big bore but I have had the Airforce .25 cal for 8 years or so. I like it , no problems with it and its shoots around 1 moa. @ 100 yrd.
have taken it hog hunting but never the chance to try it on hogs but its a good coon popper at 100yrd.

Don't own but shot a friends Quackenbush. I'm pretty sure it was 45 cal but it's been quite a while back and I may be wrong. Heavy slug carried quite a wack downrange. Not quiet shooting AT ALL. Impressive accuracy. He had used it for black bear and took a whitetail target of opportunity. He's gone now and his heirs sold most of his stuff at auction. I wanted that rifle but could not attend the auction and they weren't selling to me (or anyone else) otherwise. Quackenbush rifles are hard to come by last time I checked.
Since moving to Okrahoma, I have become interested in the arrow rifles, mainly due to the novelty. Legal to hunt with proper permit.

If your coming out to AZ for Barrett Jackson this year, visit Air Guns of AZ.
Kip (one of the managers) has hunted Africa and various other big game with big bore pcp’s

I’ve been eyeballing these for a while as well. I’ve shot some .30 and .357 cal and was impressed with the power.

i've been thinking about it for a while now. almost had myself talked into it, but realized that i already have too many irons in the fire that i do not get around to.

given the shortages of the last few years, it might not be a bad idea. i'd go the route of a suppressor on it as well.

Reactions: Mike Weldon
i've been thinking about it for a while now. almost had myself talked into it, but realized that i already have too many irons in the fire that i do not get around to.

given the shortages of the last few years, it might not be a bad idea. i'd go the route of a suppressor on it as well.
I bought my wife a 22 cal Gamo with a built on suppressor and she loves it. My B14R with a suppressor is MUCH more quiet.
I was seriously looking at the PCP stuff. I decided against it when I really did the research...special air compressor, plus after you buy the thing, you gotta tune it up (sorta like load development), maintenance...etc. I decided that I will devote myself to try to (meaningfully) shoot all the ammo and supplies I already have before I upload to the cloud.

Be careful, it's a rabbit hole ,and can get quite expensive, I've taken 5 deer in the past 3 years with mine , and many coons and squirrels with the smaller cars, gateway to airguns is a good forum to ck out.

Reactions: WeeHooker
I know the SH guys. And know the info here will be good! Or at least entertaining!!!
[manufactures spec] 50 caliber air rifle, that uses a 475cc carbon-fiber tank that fills to 250bar (3600psi) [/manufactures spec]

"My go to starting load is 24k psi..." ;)

Reactions: sirhrmechanic

Get an "emperor" from DonnyFl.com, it took my 457 cal Texan with T2 valve from sounding like a handgun with an audible "crack" to a medium tap on an oil drum. High quality, not just baffles: has stainless screen and will accept other sound deadening materials. If the rifle you buy does not have a threaded barrel, you can get adopters also. As for the rifle itself, things are moving so fast in the air world now that you will probably be out dated an hour after purchase! I've been airgunning for a couple years now and have spent thousands. Learned on single shots (all that was available) now they have true semi-autos and full autos! (If you like sending 16-25 slugs down range in about 3 seconds and have to reload the clip (5 min) cool thing though is no recoil so unless you move the aim they are all going ontop each other! Ouch I still really enjoy my 30 cal FX m3 impact Sniper as well as my two Texans: .357 lls and .457 carbine all are very accurate and punch holes through cast Iron skillets without problem. Surf utube under "air rifles", you will find everything available. Good luck!

Don't own but shot a friends Quackenbush. I'm pretty sure it was 45 cal but it's been quite a while back and I may be wrong. Heavy slug carried quite a wack downrange. Not quiet shooting AT ALL. Impressive accuracy. He had used it for black bear and took a whitetail target of opportunity. He's gone now and his heirs sold most of his stuff at auction. I wanted that rifle but could not attend the auction and they weren't selling to me (or anyone else) otherwise. Quackenbush rifles are hard to come by last time I checked.
Since moving to Okrahoma, I have become interested in the arrow rifles, mainly due to the novelty. Legal to hunt with proper permit.
Most single shot airguns will accept arrows but need to be .30 and up (3000+ psi) to be viable unless you walk up on the prey. Don't know if you know but most high caliber slug air rifles are now legal to hunt if they produce 400 ftp and up. The newer .457, .50 & now .68 cals produce between 650 and close to a 1000 ftp.

tanks , the shell and only 10 shots or so before you have to refill your tank

or 4 10 round mags or 2 20 round mags and no tanks , personally Id stick to the real gun , but thank god it's America and you can choose whatever it is you like .

Has anyone bought one of the big bore, high power hunting air guns?

.50 or .51? Suitable for deer, pigs… apparently cape Buffalo!

I am looking at a couple as the technology has them on par with rifles like Winchester 92’s and Henry cartridge guns that shoot big pistol cartridges.

Full kit with compressor is running g less than $1800 these days. That’s not bad for what these can do.

Anyone an early adopter? Impressions? Likes? Dislikes? Brands? Recommendations?

Anyone tried the arrows/bolts?

Cheers, Sirhr
I'm not sure about $1800 for anything good, that's a little more than a good air compressor alone. I have an air Venturi ($1500) compressor 306 bar that I don't have problems with. I also have a 3000psi Airforce Texan LLS in .357 that is a tack driver at 100 yrds shooting 185 grain boat tail hollow points. I also have a newer Airforce Texan in .457 with T2 valve and carbon fiber tank that will spit out 450 grain slugs reliably at 100 yrds plus. Eather of those rifles plus compressor will end up around $2500. If it's a .457 you will want a DonnyFL Emporer Suppressor ($300+ish).
Both rifles are single shot hand load but you will have more reliable rifles.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic