• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

High Power KYL target frame

bsekf

Private
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2019
I am going to build a high power KYL target stand with 10, 8, 6, 4 and 2 inch x 3/8 targets. For 200 and 300 yards. I am going to build it with 4-5 ft long X 1/2" rerod legs. Will it be heavy enough to keep from tipping over from impact? Or do I have to use 5/8 or 3/4 rerod? Want to use 4-5 ft legs to keep the plates up in the air and easier to score.

All depends on how wide the base is. Keep it bottom heavy, and try to keep legs at a 45⁰ or better angle. I bet hitting that 10" plate will give you problems no matter what, too much swinging mass. Easy solution is drop a sandbag on each "foot" if it starts getting tippy, or you can weld a plate on each foot if you don't mind the weight.

As for target size, when those targets get too big, a person could just move it farther out.

This is going to be for informal hunting rifle benchrest and some may want to try offhand too. I hoped somebody had made a frame out of rebar for a bigger clanger and would have practical experience. I am going to hang the plates on belting. My experience it that the bigger plates just hang there and wiggle.

If you're gonna use flexible material, that is better. I might recommend chain instead of belts, less chance of spall cutting your hangers.

Chains brake, belt lasts longer. I’ll never go back to chains. Spall goes in front of the belts unless you mount it on the front of the target for some dumb reason.

Just make the legs spread wider than they are long.
I would go with heavier rebar, that’s going to be a lot of weight on it.

Chains brake, belt lasts longer. I’ll never go back to chains. Spall goes in front of the belts unless you mount it on the front of the target for some dumb reason.

I've had the opposite experience, as it seems the belts tend to weather badly. What do you use as your belt material?

I've had the opposite experience, as it seems the belts tend to weather badly. What do you use as your belt material?
Old mats off of quarry conveyors/rock crushers. Black rubber over a felt core.
I was changing like one chain a week on the 500 yard kyl, I haven’t messed with it once since cutting up the mats into belts. I believe fire hose is sort of the opposite, cloth over rubber liners but it’s been reported to do well.
69411513663__1CC794ED-74FE-4F1D-9C69-1AEC5098A76C.jpeg

Old mats off of quarry conveyors/rock crushers. Black rubber over a felt core.
I was changing like one chain a week on the 500 yard kyl, I haven’t messed with it once since cutting up the mats into belts. I believe fire hose is sort of the opposite, cloth over rubber liners but it’s been reported to do well.
View attachment 8283709
Similar experience at the range I use to frequent most. Once we went to belting, targets hung longer.

I like your set-up there. What MOA range do you have there?

I have a target rack that I use 5/8 rebar for legs that are 5 feet long. The largest target I have for it is 8", and the biggest caliber I've shot is .308. It sits fine and doesn't tip. I hang my steel from conveyor belt straps

That's wanted I wanted to hear. Have a friend who owns a gravel mine and he has miles of used conveyor belting. And my grandson runs a concrete business so he has miles of assorted lengths of 1/2 rebar. I am going to go with 1/2 inch and will weld 2 pieces together for extra strength. LuvDog, how far apart are the bottom of the legs on your 5 ft frame. Someone said the base should be the same as the finished height, so I may go with 6ft legs.