• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

High Praise for High Caliber; Mk12 Mod1 Rng Report

markspring1978

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2009
Central Montana
So, I have been working on putting a MK12 Mod 1 together for a while. Ended up settling on a High Caliber Sales (HCS) upper and bought it from another member here on the Hide. He claims that the upper was never fired, this seems to be legit. Next I bought the Nightforce 2.5-10x24 from another member here on SH. I was looking to put together as close as a mil-spec unit as possible. Finally, bought the KAC SR-15 lower with A2 stock and KAC 2 stage trigger from Kevin at HCS. I also bought the Ops Inc. Model 12 suppressor from Kevin as well. Alas, I think that it will be a while until the NFA paperwork clears for that final piece of the build. The wait times for clearing a Form 4 have been up to 6 months as of late!

In the meantime, I bought a case of SMK 77 HPBT canalure bullets, (2500 pieces; by the way, if someone is looking for some of these, I am going to sell 500-1000 of them) to try to roughly copy the MK262 ammo. I ended up using 23.9 grains of Varget in the handload for the first batch.

Last weekend made the first trip to the range to try this setup out. The results were pretty impressive. After sighting in, the best 3 shot group was .249 inches! Maybe a little lucky but that is pretty solid for a semi-auto.

Needless to say, I am very impressed with HCS. Kevin was great to work with. Now I just need to work on getting one of the MK18 builds...

A few pics:

mk121.jpg

mk122.jpg

group.jpg

Re: High Praise for High Caliber; Range Report

I never get tired of looking at those mk12 rifles. Sweet!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never get tired of looking at those mk12 rifles. Sweet! </div></div>

That's the truth! Probably my favorite "style" of the AR platform.

That is a great set up you have. Awesome groups! Let me know what you decide to sell the 77gr SMKs for. I have some REAL mk262 Mod1 if you want to chrono the results and make an "exact" copy.

nice rig . I like the size of the night force scope.

The HCS rifle build uppers shoot like a dream. Never thought I would own a 5.56 that would group at 1100 yards. True love. Still trying to post of photo of the beast, not sure how to do so.

P1010079.jpg
Mk12 Mod01 and 1000 yards of desert. Life is good.

P1010082-2.jpg
A nice 8-12 MPH wind and 95 degrees F. Perfect day for shooting.

P1010064.jpg
Switched to a SureFire X3 from this StreamLight. Both light it up like a UFO. The Mujahedin prayer rug is a bring back from the mid 80's. The battle for Panjshir River Valley.

I sent Kevin at HCS a Colt upper for Alan to do the build. The lower is a Colt 6721 M3 Tactical with the now discontinued Gov't/LE roll mark. The BCG is Colt full auto. I installed a Knights match trigger and used the 3.5 lbs spring. HCS uses very high quality components on their uppers, so it is not necessary to do anything but order the Mk12 Mod01 just as they build them. I will be going back to Dugway on Friday and push the range out to 1200 yards with the Black Hills OTM red box Mk262 ammo to see how it flies. Should be right at the 2.5 x 10 NightForce's threshold of elevation at that range. Might have to hold a few mils over just to get there. My scope turret stops at about 15 mils and I was dialed to 13.6 mils at 1100 yards with the blue label ammo. I shot a 3 for 5 hit 9 inch group, and a 4 for 5 hit 12 inch group with a 1/4 8 mph wind. The bullet was still stable, so I am certain it will stay accurate at 1200, wind be damned.

P1010114.jpg
Back out to the desert today to shoot at 1200 yards with the HCS Mk12 Mod01. The dry lake bed now has 2 feet of water over it. I re-established my range (about an hour of walking and lazing range) set up my target and got down to shooting. I shot one nice group (1 mil high at 15.0 with Black Hills Mk 262 OTM red label 5.56 ammo and used the Oakley Glove for scale on the group (see photo). Then the wind came up and I was only able to hit the target 3 more times in 20 tries. I found a bullet laying on top of the mud after it blew through the chip board and bounced off the mud. Not much velocity left at this range. Any cross winds knock the bullet out of its flight in a big way. I feel that 1100 yards is about all this rifle and bullet are capable of. Probable max effective range of 700 yards seems valid in combat scenarios. Happy Trails, Kilmore.

P1010112.jpg
Magnificent fall day in the Great Salt Lake Desert.

P1010117.jpg
"From the mountains to the desert. From the jungle to the sea. London Bridge Trading is the gear for me". Thanks to Ken B at LBT for the nice rifle case.