• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

High quality 1/8 twist 300 blackout upper in 12.5" - 16"?

ARKEMAXUS

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2012
colorado
Hi brothers,

I've been running 300 blk for several years now in a 9" BCM. It's been great and plenty accurate with my (own load) heavy subs. But as I've read is a common problem, I cannot for the life of me, get a load for supers that yields any decent accuracy. Tried Barnes 110s and 120s, Hornady 150 fmjs etc. Read a few articles that have me concluding that 1/7 twist is over stabilizing those shorter, lighter bullets which is causing the problem. So I tested my super loads in a friend's 1/8 twist upper and the accuracy was much improved.

That, combined with needing something to throw my NF 1-8 and another 30 cal can on, has me looking to put together a rig in 300blk with a 12.5" - 16" barrel with a 1/8 twist for the supers. Berger's stability calculator and my friend's upper tells me 1/8 twist will still stabilize my 225 grain subs. Already checked BCM,Noveske,DD,POF, PRI, American Defense,Seekins etc.. Everybody either only does 1/7 twist or only has pistol length uppers. Any ideas??? Thanks.

Thanks Tony, I know there are barrels out there but I don't think I want to mess with that. I think I'd rather just buy an upper that's ready to go and be done with it. Maybe I'll have to check out how to install a barrel in an upper but this has to be super reliable and I don't want my limitations to screw it up.

Nice, reubenski, that's the kind of setup and accuracy I'd be after. To answer your question, the reason I don't want slower than 1/8 twist is simple: at my elevation 1/10 won't stabilize my subs, not even close. I don't want a 300blk upper that won't run subs because in my mind I might as well just stay with 556. Yes, I want my cake and to eat it too. I understand that I may get better supers accuracy with a 1/10, but you've got me thinking...

Last edited: