• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

High rings on a AICS

Bigzams

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2010
San Marcos Texas
I finally picked up a AICS while I love it it seems my fat face can not get a proper cheek weld with my low rings since the comb is higher than the stock I had before. After trying out some rings I really like the Burris high rings. I know that most want the scope as close and low to the bore as possible but I really was getting back and neck pain just trying to get into a position where I can shoot. With the high rings I can rest my head on the comb and get perfect eye relief and height.

What am I losing by switching to high rings besides a pain in my back and neck?

-Z

Re: High rings on a AICS

Nothing. But do yourself a favor and buy quality rings.

I plan on getting some. Just my cash flow was wiped out after the purchase it will take me a few months to recoup. I will move the Burris rings to my .22
-Rene

Getting the scope as low to the bore as possible isn't as critical as it's made out to be. Look at rifles like AR-15/AR-10s, AX rifles, DTAs and others that have to have extra high rings. Get rings that'll work for you.

-Sean

I had the same problem when I switched to the AICS, getting proper cheek weld was impossible. Switched to the second highest NF rings from the second lowest(can't remember the exact measurement) and they work great. I was too the point before I switched, I was taking out the cheek rest and shooting without it. If you are ever in the Houston area you can check it out and see what works for you.

I had to go with a set of High Leupold MK4 rings on my AICS to be able to see through the scope.

I've ran into similar issues. After purchasing several AICS chassis', I realized the I needed a minimum of 1 inch tall rings and that's having the cheek rest at its lowest point. However It was no so natural for me. I still had to cram my face down pretty hard but dealt with it.
Recently bought some Badger 1.125 inch tall rings and they're perfect. So I would have to say 1" being minimum for an AICS chassis no matter what scope you use as long as you scope clears the barrel. As far as my scope on this rifle, it's a USO sn3 tpal with a 37mm objective so it's way off my barrel but I'm a lot more comfortable shooting this set up.

Hope his helps a little.

Thanks for the replies. Scope is a Vortex PST 6-24x50 so yeah it will sit a little high but I can sit behind the rifle now and my natural point of view sits nicely in line with the scope.

-Rene