• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses High School Air Rifle Instruction

TNT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2006
Arlington, VA
Not a posting for a course, but rather a request for references and info - thought it would best fit in here.
I am starting as an assistant coach for my local high school air rifle team. I shot XTC in college, but there are definitely some differences (i.e. kneeling vs sitting, the equipment), but for the most part I plan on sticking with the basics that I have grasped in my experience so far. Because these are high schoolers, some brand new to shooting, I figure to keep it very simple:

Trigger control
Building a stable platform
Sight picture
Natural point of aim
Breathing

Mainly in that order - I am working hard on trigger control because finger straight and off the trigger is something that really needs to be drilled into them over and over in the beginning, and it's a nice follow-on.

Is there anything you guys recommend I look into, as far as specific principles or references? I like the CMP and the Canadian Youth Air Rifle manuals. I'm also interested in any tips or references you might have regarding the instruction aspect - how best to relate certain concepts, communicate instructions, and keep the shooters focused on improving step by step and not being overwhelmed.

Thanks for the input!

Check the forum Target Talk it has a youth section and small bore section it is primarily international shooting, but there are a lot of discussions and post that will help you. Here is the link TargetTalk :: Index

Check the forum Target Talk it has a youth section and small bore section it is primarily international shooting, but there are a lot of discussions and post that will help you. Here is the link TargetTalk :: Index

Thanks for the link - got my reading for the next couple of weeks as I get bored scoring targets.