• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision High tech redneck "jackrabbit" NV scope adapter

Re: High tech redneck "jackrabbit" NV scope adapter

The one TNVC has looks way better IMHO.

We are working on a simple fast atach mount, Not intended for hard core use. No where near ready yet.

I wouldn't waste your time with mounting your pvs behind your magnified optic in that manner. I have one and I used it once. The light lose is huge! If just using a pvs get a IR laser and keep the pvs on your helmet.

Another vote for "dont waste your time." Mounting a PVS-14 behind a glass optic is like dragging a 16 foot trailer around behind your Corvette.

At least get it in behind an Eotech or just use an IR laser. If you have a rail on the gun, just clip on an ITAL, OTAL or Dbal.

horse shit. i have the universal adapter from tnvc and it works great. i will post a couple photos through my unit behind a day optic. it is impressive to say the least. you have to experiment with optics to see what you like but i will recommend any power optic that is fixed power. that is one less lens inside the scope the light is trying to pass through along with the fact that you will not get the in-the-scope bloom you sometimes find with variable power scopes. i run mine behind a 10x ss and it works fantastic. a good ir light and you're golden on real dark nights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch engage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">horse shit. i have the universal adapter from tnvc and it works great. i will post a couple photos through my unit behind a day optic. it is impressive to say the least. you have to experiment with optics to see what you like but i will recommend any power optic that is fixed power. that is one less lens inside the scope the light is trying to pass through along with the fact that you will not get the in-the-scope bloom you sometimes find with variable power scopes. i run mine behind a 10x ss and it works fantastic. a good ir light and you're golden on real dark nights. </div></div>

I agree, I had great luck with my PVS-7b behind a Bushnell 3-12 ffp. A good IR source is all you need.

After monitoring for a while, I decided to jump in on this one as there seems to be a huge differing of opinions.
Mounting a PVS-14 behind an optic is <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> the worst thing in the world, it is just <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> the best. Some of the things that you WILL see are:
- reduced light transmission because your scope is reducing some of the light PRIOR to the amplification process.
- an extended eye relief change that some folks find hard to deal with as it does change your shooting position.
However, if you have a rifle, with an optic and you own a PVS-14 this can me a cost effective method to engage at night. A purpose built system like a clip-on or dedicated NV sight are of course better but, they cost additional money. So, by utilizing what you already have, you CAN make a functional setup. If this is the route you choose, here are some suggestions:
- buy a mount that is rugged and fixes your PVS-14 into position as close to and, as secure as is possible, to the day optic. Ensure that the mount is not going to damage your optic or your NVG. There is no reason to screw up such expensive equipment with a cheap mount!
- add some additional IR lighting to your setup. This will overcome any of the light transmission degradation and, will be beneficial to any setup.
Guys, before we had clip-on devices and, if you weren't issued the PVS-10, guys were looking through optics utilizing this setup. It is functional, it is just not the best thing that is out there. However, if your mission isn't critical and you are looking for a way to lay some varmints down, this will suffice.

075.jpg

289yds to car through piece of shit scope. no ir. junk ass camera too.

074.jpg

no ir, 200yd to tree. junk ass scope and junk ass camera

IMG00528-20111213-2011.jpg

tractor at 125yd with streamlight supertac ir. the light is absolutley amazing and you can read my review in this forum. these photos in no way do the actual image you see in real time any justice but i wanted to show you it is very usable.

What kind of ambient light conditions were the pics taken at? In my neighborhood I had similar results as your pics. No moon in a river bottom it looked like shit to me. Even running a eo in front of a Pvs I get a very noticeable drop in performance. Same with viewing a Pvs threw your front windshield to no windshield. Your image is not near as bright.

Its works thats a FACT. How well it works is all depending on Moon/street lights or Illumination and the Optics, Useing an L3 OMEGA PVS14 piggy back to about any low power scope is Better than GEN2 scopes In my opinion. This is yet another option that shows the PVS14 is the small block chevy of Night Vision. Pvs14 are true Work horses. Couplers are handy to make shots when you are hunting and need to slip it on a day scope, But the most on the market now are heavy a Little more than I want to deal with. We are currently testing Our Slip on coupler that will atach to the rear of a DAY scope, Not Intended to stay mounted, Just for that moment when you need to make it all happen from your pocket. Its very short and light!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: km2006dmax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of ambient light conditions were the pics taken at? In my neighborhood I had similar results as your pics. No moon in a river bottom it looked like shit to me. Even running a eo in front of a Pvs I get a very noticeable drop in performance. Same with viewing a Pvs threw your front windshield to no windshield. Your image is not near as bright. </div></div>

the car and tree were little to no abient light. cloud cover was heavy. only a couple street lights down the road and the parking lot you can see in the bloom with the car. now as to using it in very dark situations with little to no ambient light i fall back on the supertac ir. this light is incredible with a usable range past 600yd. the only caveat to the system would be the focus time between your eye and the scope. i usually set mine up in the middle somewhere and can tune it quickly with my parallax adj.

it is the same situation with a uns or bns at distance on very dark nights. you still need a good ir source.

I found variable power scopes to work better for me because my VP scopes start @ 4X and have a 56mm bell. Just my limited knowledge, but I do know that the more light allowed through the scope, the better. My VP (variable power) scopes all have AO which, IMO, you need to have for decent performance. If you use VP without AO the performance probably would suck. None of my fixed power, low power scopes have AO and when I tried these scopes with NV the performance sucked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The one TNVC has looks way better IMHO.

We are working on a simple fast atach mount, Not intended for hard core use. No where near ready yet. </div></div>

Thanks Frankie, ours is getting re-worked with some improvements. Look forward to seeing yours as well.

Vic

If you use a mount like this to attach the PVS-14 to your day scope, would you be able to shoot that on a .308, or does the recoil still limit you to .223 and lower?

If it does limit you to .223, could you keep the PVS head-mounted and still get behind your day scope properly?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GeneralPurpose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you use a mount like this to attach the PVS-14 to your day scope, would you be able to shoot that on a .308, or does the recoil still limit you to .223 and lower?

If it does limit you to .223, could you keep the PVS head-mounted and still get behind your day scope properly? </div></div>

you will still be limited in caliber due to no shock mitigation from this setup. i have "played" around with simply looking through a day optic while head mounted and it can be done but is really not ideal at all. if it were me i would try and run a good ir laser zeroed to your day scope at what ever distance you want. its as simple as say looking through your day scope and dialing your dope to 300yd or whatever you want and zeroing the ir laser to your crosshair. done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch engage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GeneralPurpose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you use a mount like this to attach the PVS-14 to your day scope, would you be able to shoot that on a .308, or does the recoil still limit you to .223 and lower?

If it does limit you to .223, could you keep the PVS head-mounted and still get behind your day scope properly? </div></div>

you will still be limited in caliber due to no shock mitigation from this setup. i have "played" around with simply looking through a day optic while head mounted and it can be done but is really not ideal at all. if it were me i would try and run a good ir laser zeroed to your day scope at what ever distance you want. its as simple as say looking through your day scope and dialing your dope to 300yd or whatever you want and zeroing the ir laser to your crosshair. done.

</div></div>

Thanks for the info.