• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes high XTR rings and a millett trs-1?

LS6TT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
DFW, Texas
looking at this set up on a flat top ar, are those rings going to be high enough?

Re: high XTR rings and a millett trs-1?

The TRS-1 comes with it's own rings, I tried to mount it on my AR without riser and noticed with Medium rings it wouldn't work.

I dunno about high ones.

Unless they have changed something, the TRS-1 does not come with rings (mine didn't). You are probably thinking of the LRS-1.

My TRS is mounted on a bolt gun, I used Mediums, but could have used lows.

Try the Burris PEPR 30 mm mount.

the burris mount is the one I am going to buy if these rings dont work, but wanted to know before i placed the order for the scope and the burris mount

Hello

the TRS doesnt have rings as part of the package, you are right about the LRS as its a 35mm tube so we supply rings. The height of the rings has a lot to do with how you want the scope to sit. if you have a high base then lows or med will work well, some times on ARs you may want to use a riser to get the scope up to the proper height for your eye.

A simple formula:

height of the base and receiver ring above the barrel.
+ heights of rings
diameter of 1/2 of the scope tube will be the height of the scope.

Take 1/2 the diameter of the objective. if the height of the scope is greater than the objective the scope will clear. This doesnt mean it will be comfortable to shoot just the scope will clear the barrel.

Hope I wrote this so its understandable.

Good shooting

Steve

i wondered myself. the extra high are 1" that may be easier to shoot off an AR. im soon to be scoping mine so im curious too.

ordered my scope from swfa, ill have some pics up pretty soon with the high rings.

did you get high the 3/4" ones ? i keep thinking the 1" xtra high would do. im looking at the burris mount too but that doesnt really seem to give you as much lift as it does move your scope forward.

yea the 3/4 ones. After talking with brady @swfa he said the 50mm objective will clear with the 3/4 but doesnt know it the scope will be far enough forward for proper cheek and eye placement.

figured id give them a go, if they dont work ill order the pepr mount and use it. Ive seen that mount used with the Millett and while it makes the scope look HUGE. it works

yeah i think swfa has $20 cheaper than anyone else this week/month

SWFA seem to have damn near everything cheaper then anybody else, not sure how they do it..lol

Burris XTR Extra High 1" work the best. I have them on an AR and they give good eye alignment. I am not sure the "highs" would do the same.

Others may chime in, but they put the midline of the scope at roughly 1.5" above the tope rail.

Well the highs "work", reason its in the quotations is I am not 100% set on the distance its able to be moved forward. When Im holding the gun I have a tendency to hog the stock so the reticle is blurry.

When I am prone the reticle is clear and im a bit farther back on the stock.

The rings are the lowest that will clear, mediums wont by a long shot. I think the PEPR might need to be added, i wish I could test one versus buying it cause im worried its going to put the scope too high.

HPIM1109.jpg

Nope Curt, just finished it tonight. was waiting on the pin for the gas tube, a stupid .50 part held my build up for over a week.

Hey guys I had the same problem seeing which mount to use, I had Burris xtr high and although the height was good I couldn't get the right eye relief so I opted for the pepr, it puts your scope up one inch, the same as extra highs, also making scope clear, my scope on the AR is only a 44mm too, doesn't make it too high for me anyway, hope this might give some insight. And any tips on resizing images would be great ha sorry---Steve
FriMar12183211AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LS6TT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well the highs "work", reason its in the quotations is I am not 100% set on the distance its able to be moved forward. When Im holding the gun I have a tendency to hog the stock so the reticle is blurry.

When I am prone the reticle is clear and im a bit farther back on the stock.

The rings are the lowest that will clear, mediums wont by a long shot. I think the PEPR might need to be added, i wish I could test one versus buying it cause im worried its going to put the scope too high.

HPIM1109.jpg
</div></div>

I think the PEPR is going to be too high if the high rings work for you, the PEPR is the same height as the extra high rings ( 1" from top of rail to bottom of tube.)
I know it's a big step up in price, but i would check out Larue Tactical.
They have several models that give you options as far as length of cantileiver and height above rail. Their site lists the dimentions too. The good news is that they definitely have a model that will work for you. The bad news is it might cost almost as much as the scope.