• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Higher butt on stock/chassis

Bro Mo

Open-minded Skeptic
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
Is it correct to say the purpose of a higher butt improves the follow through during recoil?

If so, what is the quantifiable accuracy difference over a hunting style stock?

Or is it more for just comfort?

Quantifiable? since each shooter may be different, each shooter will have to value it for themselves. You might be able to find some videos on youtube of a shooter scope view with a high butt vs low butt. I am not sure. Also, most stocks offer quite a range of adjustment from one extreme to another. However, the shooter doesn't have to select one or the other extreme, there is a shit load of in between. The expectation is the shooter's body will better absorb the recoil and improve consisten control of the rifle

For me, the recoil feels as if it is more "straight", less muzzle movement (up/down) and less felt recoil. A raised butt pad to provide improved recoil management. I also shoot my hunting rifles from .223 up to 375 H&H and 416 more aligned in the center of my body..

IMO, it's going to be what is comfortable to the shooter. if the high butt doesn't feel comfortable, there's no use in shooting it.

hopefully this makes sense and helps.

Last edited:
Because of my body structure I have to use a lower butt to get a proper cheeckweld. If you have to scrunch your head down to get a good cheeckweld, either your scope mount is too high, your cheeckpiece is to high or you need to lower the butt.

If you have to scrunch your head down to get a good cheeckweld, either your scope mount is too high,

I believe this one is accidentally flip flopped. ............. too low of rings require schrunching down. too tall would require stretching the neck.

Reactions: DOA
Shooting prone I like the butt pad fairly high.
I don’t hunt much anymore( nor would I carry around a 17# rifle) or do any PRS stuff so It works for me.

Reactions: C.R. Adams
Shooting prone I like the butt pad fairly high.
I don’t hunt much anymore( nor would I carry around a 17# rifle) or do any PRS stuff so It works for me.
My two woods bumming rifles are a 6lb .308 and 6.5lb 30.06............ those weights are fully dressed with ammo and sling. before getting into the "prs style" rifles, i thought my 11 lb .375 H& and 416 Rem mag were insanely heavy. now they feel like a feather weight.

Reactions: titandriver
My two woods bumming rifles are a 6lb .308 and 6.5lb 30.06............ those weights are fully dressed with ammo and sling. before getting into the "prs style" rifles, i thought my 11 lb .375 H& and 416 Rem mag were insanely heavy. now they feel like a feather weight.
My lightest rifle is my 260.
It’s 12ish.
I do have a hunting profile barrel I could slap in it and it would probably be 10ish.
I could carry that.

Reactions: DMP and C.R. Adams
I put an adjustable buttplate on my F-T/R McMillan stock. It made a world of difference in making recoil management more comfortable when shooting sixty-something rounds in a match. Instead of the butt being under the shoulder pocket, it is directly in line with my shoulder. This is strictly shooting prone. PRS with various positions or just bench shooting probably wouldn't benefit.

As for quantified results: The consistent improvement in the score of my last string of fire of the day is probably due to reduced fatigue.
adj buttplate mounted 2.jpg

Last edited:
I put an adjustable buttplate on my F-T/R McMillan stock. It made a world of difference in making recoil management more comfortable when shooting sixty-something rounds in a match. Instead of the butt being under the shoulder pocket, it is directly in line with my shoulder. This is strictly shooting prone. PRS with various positions or just bench shooting probably wouldn't benefit.

As for quantified results: The consistent improvement in the score of my last string of fire of the day is probably due to reduced fatigue.
View attachment 7285245

not to derail but where’d you get that adjustable butt pad?

View attachment 7285245

Pretty similar setup as my 260.
C1F3DEC8-D29D-4C9B-8FAD-C5619F0FFFE2.jpeg