• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Higher Education (Help PLEASE!)

Revenge Seeker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2007
VA. U.S.A
So I've come to the point where I've decided I need to make a major career change... But I really don't know what to do!
So lets cover the basic questions I know would be coming. I will soon be taking the SAT/ACT placement tests to see what universities I would qualify for Financial Aide at.

1) My Favorite, best subjects in school were

a)ANYTHING Math.
b)ANYTHING Science

2) I could stand working outdoors, OR in an office.

3) I Graduated Highschool with roughly a 3.0 GPA (regretfully, I didn't used to see the value in applying myself completely)

4) I went straight into the workforce with no education past high school.

So, I guess what I'm asking is- What's out there? If you need any more information I'll gladly answer your questions!

Thanks!

Re: Higher Education (Help PLEASE!)

Computer Science, definitely.

Well if you like math and science, sounds like you could be an engineer of some sort. Did you do well on your ACT's? If so, apply to a school, apply for scholarships, and go from there. Be prepared to spend anywhere from 60k-110k. Hope that helps.

Are you just looking for brick and mortar universities or would you be interested in accredited distant education as well? I have been attending American Military University for a couple of years now and have found the majority of the professors to be top notch, most of them have worked in the fields they teach for a number of years. This also gives you the oportunity to work from home which was something that was essential for me considering I am the sole provider for a family of four. Good luck in your search.

Steve

I would highly prefer a "big name" school, due to the effectiveness of that name alone on a resume. However, Financial aide will be very much needed.

Basic writing skills and general education could go a long way.

Based upon on what I know about you. I would suggest looking at the trades. The pay is considerable and the cost is significantly less.

Reactions: kortik

Unless it is in Kalifornia or Florida
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creeter2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that might ruin sex for the rest of my life? </div></div>

You need to give a little more direction on what you want to do.
Based on what you say you can either go into accounting or be a mechanic.

I took machine shop as a co-op working in different shops for four years, Been laid off twice since I graduated. Hince the reason I want to change careers.

And, I tried the Military, and was rejected due to precious health issues, as well as a BS Domestic Assault case (self defense) which was dropped, but the recruiter said "couldn't be passed by a waiver"

Finance.

The wave of the near term is going to be discounting and trading carbon credits.

Good luck

Look into engineering, I am not an engineer myself but have worked with a few and it seems like a great job. As far as schools go I will always recommend University of Alabama.

From what I've gathered It sounds like a trade school might be a good route to go. There are oportunities at the federal, state, and local levels in electrical work (lineman, sub station operator, electritian, ect.) pay is good and there are multiple ways to get in to it. And electricity is everywhere so it's a valuble skill to know. Hope this helps.

Steve

okay let me clarify somewhat. I am currently a tradesman, but DO NOT WANT TO BE.

So i guess i'll limit this to White Collar type stuff.

You may be able to get in on a ground level for real estate. It will be making a comeback when the economy comes back. Can't say when that will be but everyone needs a place to live.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creeter2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">okay let me clarify somewhat. I am currently a tradesman, but DO NOT WANT TO BE.

So i guess i'll limit this to White Collar type stuff. </div></div>

Whether it's a career or trade, being the best at what one does, regardles of attire, is the mindset you should consider if you want to get out of bed each morning eager to attack the day's work. I have a degree in Business Admin. and grew tired of management. I found that the work I did while going to college (General construction with an emphasis on residential doors and finishwork), was more enjoyable and remunerative, than what I did running projects as a superintendent or Project manager. And I managed some pretty decent projects!

Building things that last has an appeal on any level whether as a laborer or an architect, but I have to admit I like it best as the best damn door and trim man in Tampa! I have been a wood pecker since '81' and been in the trades since '79' (I did road and site work too) as well as other lines such as resturant and grocery stores since I was 13 years old!

All of this is to point out that craftsmanship, done at the highest level possible, is also very rewarding financially and in sense of purpose.

Financial aid is a tough nut to crack these days so you may want to consider a college or university that also caters to non traditional aged students. You'll likely be looking to work full time while attending. Student loans are often a bad idea unles you can correlate a return on such an expensively financed investment. Hence my Gynecology remark.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creeter2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I've come to the point where I've decided I need to make a major career change... But I really don't know what to do!
So lets cover the basic questions I know would be coming. I will soon be taking the SAT/ACT placement tests to see what universities I would qualify for Financial Aide at.

1) My Favorite, best subjects in school were

a)ANYTHING Math.
b)ANYTHING Science

2) I could stand working outdoors, OR in an office.

3) I Graduated Highschool with roughly a 3.0 GPA (regretfully, I didn't used to see the value in applying myself completely)

4) I went straight into the workforce with no education past high school.

So, I guess what I'm asking is- What's out there? If you need any more information I'll gladly answer your questions!

Thanks! </div></div>

I've taught at a major state university for a number of years and I can tell you a couple of things.

Study for ACT/SAT tests. They do not test any sense of knowledge, but in how well you can apply very basic logic. Take a course if you do not do well on the practice tests that you should already be taking.

Don't worry AT ALL about what you might study yet. You will undoubtedly change your mind at least 4 or 5 times. Every student does. Allow what you study and how it affects you help you decide later on. There is plenty of time for that.

Depending on how old you are, you may well have a slight advantage over your average student as professors know well that "non-traditional students" (roughly defined as just about anyone who didn't go to college straight out of high school for whatever reason) are generally more motivated and take college more seriously. You will find a lot of stupidity in young 18 year old students. Don't follow suit. Don't try and think you can outsmart a professor with excuses or tricks. Most have seen it all, and we see it every semester. And it never works.

Go to class (yes, it is important as most learning happens between students in the classroom), do your work to the best of your ability, and everything will fall in to place nicely.

I didn't mean to discredit or demean "blue collar" or manual labor jobs, Just prefer something higher on the food chain. Don't get me wrong, Machining is what I know, and am good at... BUT, I've been laid off twice in just over 8 months. I'm the type of worker who shows up early, works into lunch, and stays late to finish projects, without having to be told to.

so what I really am saying here is; I want something where accomplishments are rewarded, (not only financially), and I have a REAL chance to work my way to the top, something easier said than done from what i've seen in a machine shop.

Consider environmental engineering. Tough courses, but good money, always in demand, and generally a fair portion of your time will be spent outdoors. If you kill yourself (are single with no life), you can probably get it done in 4 years, 5 years is more realistic.

Darrell

By the way, degrees that require something beyond a regular course time frame (4-5 years) are okay. I figure the more education, the more opportunity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creeter2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By the way, degrees that require something beyond a regular course time frame (4-5 years) are okay. I figure the more education, the more opportunity. </div></div>

Yeah, or you could be one of the many Virginians ringing six figures with no degree. If you learn to write software, and you can do that on your own with a brain that is at all mathematically inclined, especially now that there are a million forums to answer any questions along the way, you have no need for a degree. Nada.

Degree = 200K+ including opportunity cost even if you just flip burgers currently.
Sufficient books for software = $200 and you keep your current job for a year while you learn. After that you take a cut/raise at 50Kish your first year with zero real world experience. With sufficient demonstration of knowledge though you may be able to bump that another 10k-15k

By the time you could have gotten your degree you should be in the 70's or 80's. With 5 yrs and certs there are recruiters that wake up in different time zones jsut to call you at 7:00am before local ones can get to work and even view your resume, and they'll be offering you 100K if that's what you say is required.

So, you basically can be ahead by 300K if you go the no degree/software route. Now, in 4 years, would you rather have 300K and a 100K job, or do you think you can switch to a field where you can make so much more down the road that it will eclipse the upfront savings?

If you have a brain that is geared toward software development it is quite simply the easiest way to make money in the world, and it's legal. Officially, charging exorbitant fees just because you have a little knowledge is not a scam. The market actually thinks your "time" is worth that much, like candy from a baby.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creeter2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would highly prefer a "big name" school, due to the effectiveness of that name alone on a resume. However, Financial aide will be very much needed. </div></div>

Look at the required courses at VA Tech for an engineering degree that interests you (I went EE at Maryland). Take the first four or five semesters of those at your local community college, including any non-major electives that are required to graduate. Spend the last semesters finishing up at VA Tech in the core degree classes.

There's nothing that says you need to take a full courseload - you can take 1-2 classes at the community college each semester, and pay as you go while working full time. This is how I eventually got my Master's degree, and I graduated without needing student loans.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BugSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have a brain that is geared toward software development it is quite simply the easiest way to make money in the world, and it's legal.</div></div>
It's so easy, it's not even fair
grin.gif

Look into engineering, I am not an engineer myself but have worked with a few and it seems like a great job. As far as schools go I will always recommend University of Alabama.

NOT SURE I AGREE! I'm live in Alabama and I'm a BAMA football fan. But UA is where you would go to be a Doctor of sort. For the engineering you should look at Auburn. They are very well known for there engineering coruse same as Alabama is known for it's Medicine coruses.

If you like math/science, and are good to decent at either, like working outdoors as well as some office time, consider the geo-sciences. I'm a geophysicist. I started off and still dabble in earthquake seismology and now am focused on geomagnetism (studying and recording the Earth's magnetic field fluctuations).

The field of geophysics is growing and becoming more and more important in our everyday lives. Check out the American Geophysical Union's website (www.agu.org) for some basic info. Also browse the USGS website (www.usgs.gov), who are my current employer.

As well as careers in academia, the energy industry is currently a great place to work. If you have a master's degree (which at most good schools can be had in 5 years when combined with your undergrad degree) you can start out working for the oil companies earning ~$90k/year.

My job (federal government) pays less, but I like the work more, its more research related and general science related rather than energy focused. I travel quite a bit all over the world (Puerto Rico, Guam, Hawaii, American Samoa, Alaska etc.) so the job is always dynamic and changing, which I like. I can't stand static office related work.

With a geophysics background, you should also have some computer skills (minor programming helps) as well as hands-on electronics training. Not so much EE, but basic skills with electronic components. Lots of goephysicists work with electronic recording instrumentation. I build autonomous solar powered seismic recording stations and maintain them, which involves a lot of trouble shooting when things go wrong.

I work in the field a lot too with my hands, diggin holes to bury seismometers, as well as the "higher on the food chain" stuff like analyzing seismic and magnetic data. I find it very rewarding getting to work in the Tetons, Yellowstone, Pacific islands doing field work and then coming back to CO to do research on the data collected etc.

I'm not saying that you'll automatically get a great job in this field, but while you're in school, try to take internships with USGS or the energy companies if you can. It's all about who you know.

There are tons of other jobs in the geoscience discipline that I haven't mentioned, but I think they're all great and jobs will always be around since it's the study of the planet we live on. Good luck!

Something to consider is biomedical technology, which is a fancy way of saying a mechanic of machines in hospitals. That is what my brother has been doing and it has worked out very well for him. The working conditions are good, stress is relatively low, and the skills are in demand.

Do not go into anything related to non-medical or non-veterinary biological science or agriculture. It pains me to think about how hard I worked (mentally and physically) in graduate school considering the general lack of rewards. Seemingly, anything medical is golden right now and for the foreseeable future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BugSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have a brain that is geared toward software development it is quite simply the easiest way to make money in the world, and it's legal.</div></div>
It's so easy, it's not even fair
grin.gif

</div></div>

I totally agree, the only problem there is out-sourceing, at least for coding jobs, but that is slowing down and as their economies pick up and grow it will be less lucrative for US companies to send work over there. The key is to be a developer not a code jockey

Somewhat random here BUT, if I wanted to go into things such as explosives(design and application) what would be good, chemistry major?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creeter2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would highly prefer a "big name" school, due to the effectiveness of that name alone on a resume. However, Financial aide will be very much needed. </div></div>

GO to ITT technical institute if that's what you want to put on your resume!!

Critter--

For the first 2 years, I'd concentrate on getting all the general ed stuff done...preferably at a local community college only because its cheaper. While you are doing that, you can be figuring out more about what you really want to do with your future. At that time, I'd start looking at schools that are best suited for your intended degree program. Choosing schools and understanding how higher ed really works can be very confusing, especially if you are only relying on the news mag rankings such as those listed in USNWR, Kiplingers, Forbes, etc, etc.

For the most part, unless you are in a professional program such as Nursing, Business Admin, Engineering, Accounting, and a few others, your undergrad degree probably won't be "job" related. Nowadays, even with the degree and no applicable experience, you will probably have a difficult time getting employed just because of how the markets are right now. With that being said, whatever program you choose, you may want to look into internships or some other way to get some relative experience in your field while you are in school.
Nobody can choose your field for you. You have to do that for YOURSELF!! Only you know what your passions are. Sure, there are some hot fields out there right now but that doesn't mean they are right for you. Its takes a lot of reflection based on trial and error to figure out what suits you. However, its been done many times before so you can do it!!
Big name schools are really only important for grad school...and even then, only if they have a solid program in your field. Undergrad school choice doesn't matter as much unless you are choosing a specific professional degree program such as engineering or education, etc. If I were you, I'd get that other stuff out of your head and focus on baby steps, while making the right choices during the growing process.
Focus on doing well on your SAT's/ACT's and sign up at the local community college for a few classes to get your feet wet. You'll figure out the rest with time.
I'm about to start back myself. I completed my first undergrad degree's work at UNC-Chapel Hill in 1992. Then completed work for my second undergrad in 1995 at Christopher Newport University. My employer is currently sending me back for my MBA at William & Mary through their Executive MBA weekend program. Education never ends!! The minute you stop learning, you are dead!! Hope this helps a little. Good luck in your educational pursuits!!
cool.gif

Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creeter2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Somewhat random here BUT, if I wanted to go into things such as explosives(design and application) what would be good, chemistry major?</div></div>

Combat Engineer

Do not get hung up on a big name school for an undergraduate degree. Save your money. A bachelors degree will open 97% of all doors you are ever going to walk through. I work for a large corporation and when we hire the only question they ask is "do they have a college degree?" They could care less where it comes from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooty Puff Sr.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creeter2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would highly prefer a "big name" school, due to the effectiveness of that name alone on a resume. However, Financial aide will be very much needed. </div></div>

Do not get hung up on a big name school for an undergraduate degree. Save your money. A bachelors degree will open 97% of all doors you are ever going to walk through. I work for a large corporation and when we hire the only question they ask is "do they have a college degree?" They could care less where it comes from. </div></div>
Big +1! And, community college for your first 2 years will transfer the same as two years at a big university. And it's MUCH cheaper.

If you want to do something with explosives..weapons, you may want to try something like computer science or engineering. Companies like raytheon etc.. should have internships available. Best advice is to pick something you enjoy and really work hard and excel in your classwork. I have been told that companies recruit talent not just degrees. Hope this helps, good luck.

Engineering with a major in business as well
That way U work your way up to management and do not get laid off when the engineering contract is finished and more work is in the wings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcm331</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been told that companies recruit talent not just degrees.</div></div>
This is especially true in the Computer Science business. If you love it, and you are good at it, you don't even need a Bachelor degree to make six digits.

FWIW I'm a Jet Mechanic(Blue Collar Guy) who makes alot more than the engineers here at SWA, I suggest you look into a career doing something your good at, something that makes you happy, the money will come from those things, happy people who perform day in day out get paid well in there professions, people who chase the dollar suck at there jobs and are miserable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW I'm a Jet Mechanic(Blue Collar Guy) who makes alot more than the engineers here at SWA, I suggest you look into a career doing something your good at, something that makes you happy, the money will come from those things, happy people who perform day in day out get paid well in there professions, people who chase the dollar suck at there jobs and are miserable. </div></div>

This man speaks the honest truth.

Lose some weight and join the Army. You can't be a fat dumbfuck your whole life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lose some weight and join the Army. You can't be a fat dumbfuck your whole life.

</div></div>

This man speaks the honest truth.

Here's the path I took.... YMMV
smile.gif

After I got out of the Army in '92 I went back to school, went to a community college for 2 years and got my AA in Engineering. I was always good at math and science so it seemed like a fit. I transferred to a 4 year school and got my BS in Mechanical Engineering. Worked on some cool projects in school, did a quarter with K2 skis working on new skis, very cool... Upon graduating, I got a job at Boeing and worked on the 737 and 757 planes and their flight controls for a couple of years.

As per typical Boeing experience, I got laid off almost 2 years to the day after starting and ended up getting into IT, data storage in particular. Within 2 years, I found that that is what I really clicked with and was easily making double what I ever did as an engineer.

So like others have said, do what you love, don't do it solely for money and realize that in life there are multiple paths for you to go down. When one door shuts, usually another opens if you are prepared.

I know that all sounds cliche' but it has worked fine for me to this point in my life.

Good luck out there....

I have heard it mentioned a few times and thats what I'm doing. Go to school for your first two (freshman and sophmore) years at a community college. In Florida there is no act/sat required. I was out of school for years when I went back. I had to take a cpt test ( college placement test). I have been working and taking classes. I have two classes to go until I'm finished at the community college and then I will transfer to a four year university for the last two (junior and senior) years. Just keep plugging away. Dont get caught up too much in the big picture. Have fun. What do they say... life is a journay not a destination.

I think i already posted this but military is not an option unfortunately. I tried to join and was rejected about six months ago due to a domestic assault charge that was dropped (self defense) the recruiter said even though the charges were dropped, any sign of a domestic offense of a violent nature was an automatic red flag, no waivers, nothing. I also have life-long health issues which would eventually be brought up.

If you truly want job security be your own boss/employer. I suggest a gunsmithing trade school. Look at Montgomery County Community College in Troy, NC. Most of the graduates of this two year nationally recognized program have job offers before they graduate.

If you truly want job security be your own boss/employer. I suggest a gunsmithing trade school. Look at Montgomery County Community College in Troy, NC. Most of the graduates of this two year nationally recognized program have job offers before they graduate.
this thread is 9 years old.....i really hope OP has gotten his life together by now.

Long-lost members from the past, resurrecting long-lost posts from the past. You hear about them-thar newfangled Ford VEE-Hickles? They come in any color you want, as long as it's Black!