• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Highest Power

Shoots 700's

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2008
Chester, Virginia
What would you guys put on a .308 that most shots you have are no further than 500 yards?

We shoot 1MOA targets out to 500 on a regular basis. I want to buy a new scope and don't want to be under powered, but also don't want a heavier than necessary scope

Re: Highest Power

I have 22x on 22 long rifles, the better I can see it , the better I shoot it.
I have only turned the power down from 21x 1 or 2 times in all the years of comp shooting. But it will depend on your comfort level.

A x17 USO is the smallest top end power I have on any 308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanTarget</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jesus. </div></div>

Very High Power!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanTarget</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jesus. </div></div>

Very High Power!</div></div>

HAHA! Amen!

15-16x minimum. I like 20-25x on the high end. I would rather have more and not need it than less and find myself needing more. You can always dial down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanTarget</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jesus. </div></div>

Good one
smile.gif

As to the original poster's query - as one subsequent poster said - it depends on your comfort level - personally I like to see the target in detail - the movement you get with higher magnification due to breathing etc. doesn't bother me, and if there's every any chance you'll shoot at more than 500 yards then you might as well buy 1 scope now which will cater for what you want to do eventually - as they're not cheap bits of kit if you go for the quality items ...

I'm probably going to get slated for this, but I'm just about comfortable with 42x @ 1000 yards - so for me I'd be looking at something between 22 - 30 power if you're definitely only going to shoot at 500 - otherwise buy the highest magnification scope you can afford ...

BIG +1 on our Lord and Savior...but as for scopes:

I'm with Rob01 on this one. While you won't always want or need 22x-25x, it is damn nice to have it and it is easy to dial down to 3x-5x as circumstances dictate. As for a scope being "too heavy"...don't get hung up on the weight question, but instead determine what magnification and other features are a MUST HAVE for you and then you can determine which scopes with those specific features best fit your particular bill (including the lighter of the bunch if weight is a big factor for you).