• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

highest quality hearing protection?

Cody S

Not A Scammer
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
Hazard, Kentucky
looking for in ear and outer ear. ive seen the otto's and theyre nearly 500$ just wanting to make sure theyre the best before spending that kind of cash

The "best" in ears are custom molded by an audiologist. I use the Sound Gear Platinum but Westone makes some too - called DefendEar. Either way, if you have good health insurance, you're likely covered for a large portion of this. All said and done, I was about half of what you're talking about spending.

I believe the "best" outer ear pro is going to be the MSA Sordin line.

while I cannot say they are the best I sat next to a guy firing a 50 cal barrett last weekend at the range and had no problem hearing conversations with a set of walkers over ear muffs and i do not think they cost over 180. no ringing or sharp crack , I felt the concussion enough to have to pause before shooting my self but no hearing problems and still heard steel hits at 600 yards . not sure on just how much protection you are looking for but if you add the foam plugs as well as over the ear headsets you should be totally covered unless you really want to spend crazy money good luck either way .

Last edited:
The "best" in ears are custom molded by an audiologist. I use the Sound Gear Platinum but Westone makes some too - called DefendEar. Either way, if you have good health insurance, you're likely covered for a large portion of this. All said and done, I was about half of what you're talking about spending.

I believe the "best" outer ear pro is going to be the MSA Sordin line.
what about the best inner ear?
inside 500$ without insurance

ESP Dynamics - if you can swallow the $2,400 price tag.

Sordins last about 5 years before the wiring becomes a gelatinous mess. Surprisingly the gel cups outlast the wiring. Don't like the ComTac's due to the bulged design. Makes cheek weld a SOB on some rifles.

Reactions: fx77 and ZiaHunter
I have an inanely ridiculously full box of MSA sordins that are fucking toast.

I have never added a Peltor set to this box. YMMV.

This is good to know. I have a set of Peltors that required a replacement wiring harness after a few years when the electronics got dodgy. The gel cups are still in decent shape. It wasn't a big deal to replace but I just thought the Sordins to be top notch.

Tactical Hearing. They’re full blow hearing aids with loud noise shutoff. They work with 300 WSM and a muzzle brake. I’ve never shot next to anything larger or noisier, but I’m sure I could add muffs if I needed to.

I have hearing loss so my standards are a little different.

What features dictate different price points? Prices go anywhere from $500 - 2k+. I was looking at NRR rating but they seem to be somewhat consistent across all price points. I'm not law enforcement, just a guy who RO's shoots in PRS (generally at the range once a week). My hearing is not the best and i don't want it to get worse. Im not sure what data to collect that will help make my decision?

Well I will have to add Walker XCEL to the list of junk. The right ear is going dead and bI tried to get ahold of customer service. I sent an email and called for several days. No answer so don't buy them. I have had them for about 6 month. Looking for a good set now.

Reactions: Ron 18
I have tried a number of in ear solutions from older AXIL's, Etymonic, Sylinx and wound up getting molded in the ear Sport Ear (now AXIL) ear pro and they were about $3700. Honestly they are flat out the best ear pro I have ever used and I would buy another pair tomorrow! Remember hearing aids run up to around $4k+! Which would you rather spend money on? Trying to hear after you have screwed your hearing or spending bucks now to preserve it and make shooting that much more comfortable. Unless I am in a vehicle with an SBR or in a concrete room with 16" .308 gas guns I never need to double up. The lack of fatigue that I would normally experience while wearing over the ear muffs like Peltors and Sordins (still have them both), has been a game changer for me in competition.

ESP Dynamics - if you can swallow the $2,400 price tag.

Sordins last about 5 years before the wiring becomes a gelatinous mess. Surprisingly the gel cups outlast the wiring. Don't like the ComTac's due to the bulged design. Makes cheek weld a SOB on some rifles.
I’ll second this. Mind effing blown when I used them for the first time.

I am looking at the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X. Wish I could afford the 4000.00 custom fit but just not there yet.

Otto Noisebarrier, at $399 are really tough to beat. I have used them for 4 years now, and can't bring myself to use anything else.

Etymotic makes them, and just rebrands them for Otto to sell. Etymotic was bought out by Lucid Audio last year. Lucid kept the name Etymotic (huge music industry market) but shit canned the entire staff. They have a non-compete claus in effect for anything gun related for another year, which is why you don't see the Etymotic Gunsport Elite (rechargeable) on the market yet, except through Otto as the "Noisebarrier".

Etymotic also made and holds the patent for the electronics that are inside all of Sport Ear's (now Axil) ear pro. Etymotic was a massive brand for decades in audiology, music and recently shooting sports. Their influence and patent line is huge in all aspects of hearing protection and sound engineering.

Reactions: fx77
Has anyone heard of or is using SWATCOM Active 8? And what do you think of them?

SWATCOM is suppose to be the up dated version of the Sordin Supreme Pro X. They are made by Sordin in Sweden.

Reactions: S12A
I see a lot of complaints on the electronics going out on the sordins/peltors. I suspect this is due to sweat and moisture build up so I store mine with the cups flipped inside out so they can air out. I've been using my set for 10yrs now and they still work granted I only use them 2-4x a month.

I ordered a set of the new Sordins and hope I am not disappointed. They do have a 5 year warranty and are water resistance. I will never buy another set of Walkers. I had a problem with XCels and left emails, voice mails, and left my number in que to be called back. Well I waited about two weeks and still haven't heard anything from them.

+1 to the Otto Noizebarriers. I cant recommend them enough. I've also had them for about 4 years.

I use the large flanges and have had no fatigue. Longest I've worn them straight has been about 8 hours, and I regularly forget that they're in until I'm driving home. They do come with a variety of earpieces, but YMMV here.

I'll also note that the aforementioned 8 hours was on a single charge bringing it down to about 20% IIRC.

Lastly, I end up recharging the case (which charges the earbuds) maybe 2 to 3 times a year, with almost weekly range trips lasting 2 to 5 hours.

There is zero white noise/distortion. I hardly ever use the "high" setting as I can hold a regular conversation on the "low" setting as if I had no ear pro in at all.

SRS in Florida can repair MSA Sordins. I've had a couple re-done for exposed electric cable sun-UV dry rot exposure (the sheathing gave way while the core and electrics still worked). They also added extra heat-wrap to prevent it from happening again. They're very fast on the turn-around.

Reactions: superde
Yes sir that is who I got mine from. SRSTACTICAL.COM

Thanks to all for the great info on this thread. Has anyone here owned both the Otto as well as the ESP product(s) and can compare the 2? Some of the lower ESP models are priced similar to the Otto just curious the pros and cons of each.

I've spent thousands on rifles and scopes and it's time I spend some money on good hearing protection(I double up) while I still have my hearing.

I've spent thousands on rifles and scopes and it's time I spend some money on good hearing protection(I double up) while I still have my hearing.

"Double up" by using a single good pair + a suppressor. ;)

I've doubled-up whenever I can (been shooting for a long, long time). Besides the standard exposure directly to the tympanic membrane (your eardum) you also have noise conducted through your jaw bone.

I’ve been using the Etymotic GSP15’s all this season. If you can get over them not being rechargeable (batteries are cheap), they work excellent. I can fire and be around braked rifles all day with no discomfort. I did have to purchase some aftermarket foam earpieces for them to work well though. I put a new pair of Peltor shotgunners over them once. I couldn’t hear a damn thing.

At $300, the comfort and performance have been great.

In the ear or over the ear? In the ear is fine and dandy but it won't protect your ears from bone conduction like over the ear will. I've had Sordins break consistently over the years, Comtacs are far more durable in my experience and I think they have slightly higher audio quality. Plus the battery compartments are easier to use. TEP 100's are excellent for in the ear.
If you go over the ear make sure you have gel cups if you will be wearing the headset for any length of time

Reactions: deersniper
I had the etymotics, good ear pro for the price. But this year upgraded, in considerable way, to Wild Ear. Best I have used by far. Comfortable all day at a match, I can hear everything.

Dan
NC

Attachments

• 20190502_212355-COLLAGE.jpg
    20190502_212355-COLLAGE.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 201
I have been torn between the Axil Edge 90's with waterproofing or the ESP Dynamic. Just can't make up my mind with dropping that much.

3m Peltor EEP-100, they are exactly the same as TEP-100 but are lime green, the charging case is different, add some Skull Screw tips and you have 30db noise reduction in ear electronic hearing protection, I love these things, the longest I have worn mine is 10 hours, my Sordins are now collecting dust. 170 bucks from Amazon, the tips are 20 bucks for 10 pairs.

Do you guys feel that the in ear custom Axils and similar products provide similar protection to foam plugs or more similar to over the ear protection? Plugs obviously work way better than muffs for me so I usually double up with electronic muffs to get some hearing back

The Axil edge 90 is supposed to be 27 NRR.

The Howard Leight MAX foam plugs I wear alot are NRR 33.

Reactions: D-SIL
I've tried a heap of them and found, for me, the best all rounder was the TEP-100's. Great NRR with the skull skrews, good quality audio. Just found one of my buds stopped working a while back. Now I have a case and spare bud to try to sell to a non-existant Aussie market lol

I'm cheap and these are about $0.35 a pair.

These are rated a NRR 32 and I've used them as a machinist for years.

My swatcom Active 8 came in and they are great. When you take a shot or someone shoots next to you they cancel out the shot but not someone talking. That was strange to say the least at first. But once I got use to it it is great. I recommend them if you have the money. They are not cheap but well worth the money.

Reactions: S12A
For in Ear I have custom sound gear ear pro and it’s awesome. Hard to go back to anything else. For over ear I have had good luck with peltor Comtacs. My MSAs stopped working after a thunderstorm and the warranty repair didn’t fix the problem so I am avoiding them in the future

Reactions: Cody S
looking for in ear and outer ear. ive seen the otto's and theyre nearly 500$ just wanting to make sure theyre the best before spending that kind of cash
Another +1 for the Otto’s. They work best with the foam inserts.

Reactions: Cody S
Subbed for info. Looking for high quality over the ear pro as well. The ops core amp looks to have the best of both worlds. Any real world experience here?

Can anyone please explain or show me how to calculate what my hearing protection is? I use squishy orange foamers(32dB) + Walkers Electronic(23dB). I know I've read where it's not simply adding the 2, but some other formula. And to further that.....is what I have adequate?

Anyone? Bueller?
Guess I’ll make the jump to the ops core AMP and report back with my findings lol

You can use the hearing protection calculator on this web page:
https://lp.sensear.com/hearing-protection-calculator

NRR Method Details
The NRR (Noise Reduction Rating) is a unit of measure and one of the easiest ways to assess a hearing protective device's performance and to determine its effectiveness within a given working environment to decrease noise exposure.

NRR Hearing Protection Method
The Noise Reduction Rating method follows the US OSHA method.

NRR Calculator Details
To calculate the level of exposure at the ear, first enter the NRR number as listed on the hearing protective devices box or paper work that came with the device. Next measure the worker's Noise Exposure Level in either dB(A) or dB(C). Enter the measurement into the calculator and select dB(A) or dB(C) based on the measurement method/equipment used for measuring and the result will be shown in the calculator.

WeightingCalculation
dB(A)Result = NL - ((NRR -7) / 2)
dB(C)Result = NL - (NRR / 2)
Definitions

NL is the Noise Level or Sound Level measured in either dB(A) or dB(C)
NRR is the Noise Reduction Rating in (dB) provided by the hearing protection device manufacturer
thanks

I use a set of ESP Dynamics (Approx $2400)

Give Jack a call and he will walk you through it - My order below. They're the best if you're willing to spend the money.

SoundGear might be worth a look if you're on a budget (Approx 1k)
Choose Model
Dynamic $2400
Customize Left Faceplate
Green (Black Door & Vol. Knob)
Customize Right Faceplate
Green (Black Door & Vol. Knob)
Customize Left Body/Shell
Black
Customize Right Body/Shell
Black