• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Hinged Floor Plate conversion question

Jthomas218

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2018
Kentucky
I’ve got a custom 6.5 with AG composite stock. I bought the gun used and it’s got a hinged floor plate ... I really dislike floor plates and prefer a detachable mag.. it has been inletted .. would it be possible to convert to a detachable mag ?

Depends on the bottom metal you want to use. Most DBM’s tend to be larger than hinged floorplates, so the inlet just needs to be adjusted to accommodate. AG would likely be able to do that for you, just pick which DBM you want to use.

Depends on the bottom metal you want to use. Most DBM’s tend to be larger than hinged floorplates, so the inlet just needs to be adjusted to accommodate. AG would likely be able to do that for you, just pick which DBM you want to use.
I asked them and they told me they couldn’t do it ... I was hoping to find a gunsmith locally to make the mod but they made it sound like it couldn’t be done

They focus on making the stocks as they’re ordered and won’t have the bandwidth to change something they’ve already completed.

You can open the inlet yourself with a file. Just find where it doesn’t fit and file until it does.

I asked them and they told me they couldn’t do it ... I was hoping to find a gunsmith locally to make the mod but they made it sound like it couldn’t be done
What floor-plate do you have, and which DBM do you want to change to? Without that info, this question cannot be answered properly. Generally this is a non issue though.

What floor-plate do you have, and which DBM do you want to change to? Without that info, this question cannot be answered properly. Generally this is a non issue though.
Not sure what style but here is the gun I bought . I got it used so I’m not sure what stole them floor plate is. It looks similar to my Remington 700 floor plate .
EF4F8911-1817-469B-8F00-EAD4AFA2A54A.png

If it is a Rem BDL style and you want to go to a Badger M5 contour DBM I can do it. Will look like it was made that way. Rprifles.com
I’m new to this so I’m not sure what a badger m5 is. Shoot me a Pm . Thanks

They focus on making the stocks as they’re ordered and won’t have the bandwidth to change something they’ve already completed.

You can open the inlet yourself with a file. Just find where it doesn’t fit and file until it does.
Yeah I figured . I would never have ordered the gun this way . It’s not a deal breaker but I just don’t like floor plates at all. Figured if u could change it to a magazine I would actually use the gun. It just sits in my safe now because I can’t stand floor plates

Good news is that’s a BDL inlet. The Badger M5 inlet is the standard one for using AICS magazines, so I’d recommend going with that.

As far as where to get it done, Badger inletting is $75 but the bottom metal is pricey. I’d call up Altus Shooting Solutions and ask about having them inlet for and supply Hawkins M5 bottom metal for you.

Reactions: HawkinsPrecision
Good news is that’s a BDL inlet. The Badger M5 inlet is the standard one for using AICS magazines, so I’d recommend going with that.

As far as where to get it done, Badger inletting is $75 but the bottom metal is pricey. I’d call up Altus Shooting Solutions and ask about having them inlet for and supply Hawkins M5 bottom metal for you.
great news ! Do they install it as well or just provide the metal ?

Altus would probably do the installation. I know they do a lot of gunsmithing in addition to providing things.

I haven’t found a gunsmith willing to work on the stock.. Would I be better off just selling the stock and buying a non hinged stock?

I haven’t found a gunsmith willing to work on the stock.. Would I be better off just selling the stock and buying a non hinged stock?

Usually inletting for a DBM is a simple job but I'm guessing the carbon fiber stock is going to be your problem......... I tried opening up a barrel
Channel on a carbon shelled stock and had lots of problems with chipping the surface layer.

Seems to me that rifles selling point is the light weight......id sell the whole thing and build exactly what your looking for, now that Bartlein has entered the carbon wrapped barrel game there are more options plus McMillan or manners can build a light weight stock inlet for a DBM out the gate....... lots if action options as well.

Hello there. I do all the rifle work for Altus (formerly CORE).

Inletting from BDL to M5 (hawkins, badger, apa, etc.) is pretty simple for most well known builders.

Is the action on your rifle a remington clone? Meaning round bottom and same action screw spacing as a remmy. If so, I can do it no problem. I can also recommend Badger Ordnance's inletting service as well as Jeff Hayes at River's Bend Gun Company.

I hope you are able to get it taken care of.

Edit - Quick google search.....looks like your rifle uses a Gunwerks GRB action......so its a remmy clone and easy conversion to an M5 inlet.

Ern

Last edited: