• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HIR-146 Graphite Black Gen II Cerakote

Elite_KG

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2011
LA
Anyone else notice this Cerakote is more sensitive to air ratio when spraying?

I sprayed two separate sets of parts at different times. The both sprayed on “wet” but the first batch came out a duller grey tone of black. I thought no big deal and figured it was just how the Gen II color appeared. I sprayed a second set a few days later and it was a richer black.
I originally thought it could be a batch of older catalyst i used the first time and switched catalyst. I also thought I may have not mixed the paint well enough before preparing. I tested parts with all variations to no avail. Only my forst application using this new product came out a dullermgrey (it looked good, it just wasn’t a true black).

Well a few days later Imwas doing some touch up with an air brush and noticed the same “grey” effect. Airbrushing cerakote is more diffficult due to air settings and control. I turned the air up a touch on my spray traditional gun and sprayed a sample. It sprayed on “wet” and dryed smooth, but was more grey.

I conclude the HIR-146 is more prone to “drier” spray color/tone shad variation” than even the metallics. Metallics generally feel rough when sprayed too dry.

Hope others may find some value in this information.

I use an Iwata airbrush (20-22 psi) for all Cerakote work excluding stocks where I'll use the cup gun.
I find it gives me much better control of how much material goes where...like getting in all the little nooks and crannies in a skeletonized handguard without getting too heavy and causing runs. You correctly note the reasons airbrushing is more "difficult" due to needing to control correct air/coating mix with your fingertip during the entire process- while with a cup gun it's "set and forget" unless a change is needed. Much easier to end up with dry spray issues if you keep the air going full blast but fail to inject adequate coating at any point; it's all in the fingertip.

Gave me a whole new appreciation for airbrush artists...

On the HIR-146, there's a local pawn shop that sends me some of the AR's they build for sale to Cerakote.
He brought over a batch of parts a couple of months ago along with the HIR-46 for me to use. I, too noticed some of what you've mentioned.