• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

History of 338 Win Mag

RedRyder

Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
I know that among 338s, the 338 Lapua magnum is where it's at as far as long range is concerned. My question is, did the 338 Win mag ever fill the same role, either as a combat weapon or as a long range round?

The 338 WM was released by Winchester in 1958 in a rifle called the "Alaskan". The intent was a standard length magnum suited for tough game similar to what one may find in the north. At the time, I doubt anyone considered usin the 338 WM in a armed conflict type scenario. As stated above, the original 338 is very well suited for what it was intended for. Mine flattens hogs with authority.

I think 338 Norma mag is where it's at, not lapua.
I'm not sure that I agree with this... how do you figure?

In any event, as others have mentioned, the 338WM has always been a hunting cartridge, but, being the mentally addled chucklehead that I am, I'm trying to do a dual-purpose hunting/1000 yard steel ringing setup with mine. The Berger 250gr Elite Hunter projectiles are pretty damned slippery, and at 2800+ FPS offer some respectable drop/drift numbers... if only I can find a load that mine likes.

300 WIn Mag was designed as a hunting rifle but it certainly has had success as a sniper rifle. If the 300 did it, why didn't the 338?

If I had to guess, the 338WM doesn't offer enough of an advantage over the 300WM (if any at all, given military projectiles) to justify the logistical headaches of implementing an additional cartridge in inventory.