• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Photos Hiyas this is my obsession

308RUG

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2011
Australia
Ruger .308 1;13 RH twist Custom Blackwood T/hole stock,custom tuner.
Group shot using 155g HBC match projectiles with 45.4g of AR2208 powder @ 200yrds.
4mph cross wind.

Hiyas first post on this site.
Hope to learn a fair bit from the site and with what I have seen already looks like I'm going to. Currently moving to Aust match rifle comps from F/TR so with the longer ranges I thought it would be a good place to get some good advice and learn new techniques for long range shooting.

Re: Hiyas this is my obsession

Yep thats one part I gotta get sorted among a whole lot of other skills that need working on.
More trigger time for me woohoo!
grin.gif

that is a sign of horizontal trigger control. How do I know this because I fight it all the time. Make sure the tip of your finger touches the trigger at a 90 degree angle. Get straight behind the rifle and let the recoil come back into your shoulder and follow through with the shot. If you are doing it correctly you will come back on the target with limited wiggle room to get the scope back in the target. I work this all the time but still mess it up so it takes lots of practice

Hiyas,
Great a place to start from, when shooting I try to have the heel of my right foot inline with my shoulder so as you said I'm in line with the rifle and after the shot I always try to not move until I have seen the target through the scope, as well as the fall of the shot in the mound behind the target. As my shooting position doesn't change now I think about it I don't really give thought to the position of my finger on the trigger, normally its a case of if its comfortable then squeeze and if the points of impact have a horizontal spread which they do 90% of the time then I would blame small shifts in the breeze and a lack of judging them.
I guess its now a case of identifying the reasons why I'm not pulling the trigger at 90 degrees whether it be in the roll of my wrist in relation to the rifle or the position of my finger on the trigger. Might have to set the video camera up I think and see if that gives away anything.
Thanks for identifying a problem I was too ignorant to see for my self guys.
Much appreciated now I have an excuse to fire off some rounds for a practice I need to correct.
Cheers

Just to let people know AR2208 is Varget but is the name given by ADI here in Australia who makes the powder. the 155 HBC is a very radical projectile for the weight Brian Litz has it in his book it is made here in Australia and for F TR here you must only use approved projectiles of 155gr in the 308 they are the 2 matchkings 2155 and 2156 then the nosler 155 custom comp and then the Dyer HBC that is all that is allowed and in 223 all you can use is 69 and 80 matchkings, 80gr Nosler custom comp and 80gr A Max that is it no other projectiles and only allowed 3 ADI powders.

What are you going to use for Match Rifle? i know a little about it holding the state titles for SA, Vic, NSW and tas. also what state are you in i am in Vic.

I would also chech the bedding sometimes incorrect bedding can create horizontal groups aswell as trigger control
also if you want to shoot to 1200 yards you need a tapered rail we drill and tap the ruger actions and custom fit rails to them if you want to use that rifle. the 155 HBC will make it to 1200 yards but you will struggle at 1200 against other calibres i use a 7mm Rem SAUM with 175gr Matchkings over 3100fps and most others at the top are using a 7mm because you cant use a muzzle break so the 7mm outperforms the 30 cals as retained bullet energy is not an issue when only punching holes in paper. so the other realy good option for long range F Class is a 284 Win

So are you going to shoot long range F Class or Match Rifle? if Match Rifle you can use any projectile but only use a 308 but F Class is open for long range.

G'Day Bill,
The friend who is going to mentor me through this match rifle transformation is currently using .308,208g AMAX rnds and in about march he will be giving the sport a second seat due to personal reasons and has given me first option to purchase the rifle he currently uses minus the scope, therefore I will probably use the same round and load as what is being used in it at the moment, until at least I have found my feet with the new class and have learnt a bit more of what works well and what doesn't as far as the rifle is concerned. Between now and then he has kindly offered me the use of it whilst shooting match rifle shoots to see if I like it and to save me upsetting the rifle I currently use in F/TR. As it will more than likely be F-class, though having said that choosing calibres will probably come after as just getting used to the new class will give me enough to think about for a while, (although the 338 has had me interested for a while now)it has given me the chance to save a few dollars to put towards a NF12-42x56 scope to put on the rifle, whether it is his or a new one that I will build if I choose not to buy his. I currently live in Tas and shoot with the Sanford Rifle club, as you are in Vic you more than likely know the person offering his help to me, being one MR R Blacklow as he dose a lot of shooting interstate.
As far as the bedding goes I purchased the rifle second hand from a person who was at the time competing in F/TR and getting great groups with it however I will check it to make sure nothing has moved or loosened since I have owned it, thanks for the info. Good to know other Aussies are here so I can get info from closer to home as well as afar.I will be shooting my first match for AMR on the 9th/Jan at Campbell Town range then the Tas championships in March with the Tas Queens immediately after so a busy few months ahead. Maybe catch you there if you come down.
Thanks for the post and introducing yourself always good to meet other shooters.
Cheers
Lee

Hey Rich.
Food for thought huh.
You might have the same problem as me although if that is the case lets hope its only the one problem that is the same for if you have more of the same problems as I do then you would be one mixed up individual indeed.
crazy.gif

Good luck solving it.

yup. i guess ill keep my finger angle to the trigger in mind. im going to redo some loads and then see. i also do five rounds but i was thinking if the first three are great then the last two are from the barrel heating up? i dont shoot too fast though when shooting groups. hmm.. we will have to see next time out.

see....
picture wasnt showing soo...

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy192/aaronraby/group.jpg

it wasnt just that one though, there was like 5 loads that were like that.

After looking at your pic there mate at a guess your finger may be too far over the trigger or possibly dragging on the stock as it is pulling you to the right like that.(assuming your right handed) Mind you I'm far from being in a position to make a judgement but there are my thoughts anyway. Hope you work it out.......

NF scopes are great but when i used a high magnification i found shooting it a little difficult, the most power i evr use is my 16 power. But if your shooting out to 1000 and beyond then its a must.

Those two vertical shots may be a breathing problem.
Do you breath or hold a breath when squeezing the trigger ?

Hiya sorry didn't get back straight away. I've been away for a bit shooting.
Its not so much holding my breath, more prolonging the pause at the bottom end of my natural breathing cycle.the pause would last for about 3 to 5 seconds if I haven't got the shot off by then, I continue breathing as normal till I get the sight picture again and take the pause in the breath cycle for a second crack at it.