• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HK 416 hand guard question

Alcatraz

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2013
I have found an HK416 handguard for sale, and was curious if it would fit a normal smith and Wesson m&p-15? M&P-15 has a carbine length handguard so I know I would need a low profile gas block? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

The rail on the receiver is higher on a 416 compared to a standard AR. Won't work. The HK rail kinda sucks - which is why Geissele and Remington both made after market rails for the military.

The rail on the receiver is higher on a 416 compared to a standard AR. Won't work. The HK rail kinda sucks - which is why Geissele and Remington both made after market rails for the military.

Just curious, why does the rail on the 416 suck? Is it the length or some other factor I can't see?

Just curious, why does the rail on the 416 suck? Is it the length or some other factor I can't see?

Quad rails are sooooo 2005.

Seriously though, they aren't very long, they're heavy, bulky and tall....they are a necessary evil due to the taller profile and proprietary barrel nut. Wanting to put it on any other gun just for the hell of it is just silly.

I agree they are a little short which can be a problem if you want to mount a longer scope than an EoTech. ACOG or a 1-4X. If you want to mount a higher power scope the iron sights might have to come off.

As mentioned they are short - Even adding the additional 1.5" was nice with the Geissele. The bulk was the biggest thing. The rail feels bigger than other rails (even compared to a KAC FF RAS - I measured and it's not that much different across the rail (the HK is wider) but the height is very different). The weight is definitely noticeable between equal lengths. Once I put a Geissle rail on my gun, I never went back to the HK rail. The majority of guys did the same (or they used the Remington rail which feels very similar to the Geissele).

Perhaps "sucks" is the wrong word- there are just better rails out there (especially if you don't have a 416).

Last edited:
As mentioned they are short - Even adding the additional 1.5" was nice with the Geissele. The bulk was the biggest thing. The rail feels bigger than other rails (even compared to a KAC FF RAS - I measured and it's not that much different across the rail (the HK is wider) but the height is very different). The weight is definitely noticeable between equal lengths. Once I put a Geissle rail on my gun, I never went back to the HK rail. The majority of guys did the same (or they used the Remington rail which feels very similar to the Geissele).

Perhaps "sucks" is the wrong word- there are just better rails out there (especially if you don't have a 416).

Definitely think the descriptor "sucks" is wrong. Less than optimal is better.

My buddy has the Geissele on his MR762 and I want to switch but it is $$$$. I just went to the Geissele trigger. Now if you want to use the word "sucks"...that is why I thought of the MR762 trigger. The Geissele is so worth the money.

BR,

I think one of the limiting factors of the piston guns is that they tent to use proprietary rails due to the gas blocks. I know on my SIG 516 it comes with a quad rail that is not awful, but it's heavy and short. I don't hang tons of stuff on a quad rail, but I do wish it was a bit longer so that I could mount a Harris bipod from time to time and still have room to comfortably put my hand on the forearm. After a call to SIG and an aftermarket rail company, they confirmed that they have changed the design of the 516 gas block, and the newer version can accept aftermarket rails much better than the original. The SIG CS rep told me that at this point, if I want an aftermarket rail I am pretty much stuck with buying a new complete upper, however, once they catch up with demand for the new guns a bit, they might offer a retrofit option for older 516's like mine.

Definitely think the descriptor "sucks" is wrong. Less than optimal is better.

My buddy has the Geissele on his MR762 and I want to switch but it is $$$$. I just went to the Geissele trigger. Now if you want to use the word "sucks"...that is why I thought of the MR762 trigger. The Geissele is so worth the money.

BR,

Now the word sucks is something I can live with when it comes to the trigger on my MR762. Haven't yet switched to the Geissele HK trigger. I hear the trigger on the MR 556 is much better than the MR 762 trigger.

I have a real HK416 upper. Do you have to grind the sling loops to use the Geissele hand guard on it? I think it weights more than the HK hand guard if I'm not mistaken.

Now the word sucks is something I can live with when it comes to the trigger on my MR762. Haven't yet switched to the Geissele HK trigger. I hear the trigger on the MR 556 is much better than the MR 762 trigger.

Hi Samnev,

I have only fired an MR556 once. I do remember that I didn't have any overly negative reactions as I did with the MR762.

I guess I am somewhat spoiled when it comes to trigger groups. My HK91 is a stiff trigger but it is really consistent. My SR9T has the PSG1 trigger group. I have Geissele triggers on my 2 LWRCs. Match trigger on my M1A SM from SAI is really nice as well. When you get around to trying a Geissele on the MR, you will never look back. Geissele really produces a fine product. It has really improved the MR762. Still think the PSG1 trigger group is the benchmark though.

Now back to the original thread....

BR,

Hi Samnev,

I have only fired an MR556 once. I do remember that I didn't have any overly negative reactions as I did with the MR762.

I guess I am somewhat spoiled when it comes to trigger groups. My HK91 is a stiff trigger but it is really consistent. My SR9T has the PSG1 trigger group. I have Geissele triggers on my 2 LWRCs. Match trigger on my M1A SM from SAI is really nice as well. When you get around to trying a Geissele on the MR, you will never look back. Geissele really produces a fine product. It has really improved the MR762. Still think the PSG1 trigger group is the benchmark though.

Now back to the original thread....

BR,

Hi Nik H,
I have 2 Giselle SSA-E triggers in use. 1 in my LMT MWS and 1 in my AR 10A4. Great triggers but I agree the PSG-1 trigger in my
SR9TC is my bench mark as well.

I have a real HK416 upper. Do you have to grind the sling loops to use the Geissele hand guard on it? I think it weights more than the HK hand guard if I'm not mistaken.

Yes you'll have to grind the sling loops. Or you could buy a MR556 gas block and save the original 416 gas block.

The 14.5" rail weighs more than the 9" but the short Geissele weighs less than the 9" HK rail.

Just buzz them off with a Dremil? I hate to devalue it by doing that, but I guess it would be worth it. I want to run a PEQ15 and a white light and that doesn't leave much room for your hands.

You can do that if you want to immediately reduce what it is worth. Considering what an MR762 goes for and the general long term appreciation of all H&K weapons, I would not do that and find a different solution.

BR,