• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors HK MK 23 SOCOM

millsd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2010
Austin, TX
Had one of these in my hands for the first time today. Perhaps not as ergonomic as my p226, but defintely feels good. The only thing that bothered me was the ergonomics of the safety. Anyone here own one of these that can provide feedback on whether or not you'd recommend it? I'd be selling my Desert Eagle .44 to buy one as it seems like a more "practical" gun. And in particular, I'd like feedback on the safety and decocking mechanism.

Re: HK MK 23 SOCOM

I had the opportunity to fire one when I first got into shooting. Smooth and accurate is an understatement. This is what got me into HKs in the first place. The safety is seperate from the decocker unlike on variants of the usp. The USP has the decocker and safety all in one lever. Most people use to 1911s can get into a USP/Mk23 fairly easy as the controls are really similar. Large slide release, high and accessable safety and decock levers. It is a hefty weapon though. CCW is hardly feasable. If you are use to a D.E. then the size wont be an issue. It has match iron sights, large trigger gaurd, and the famous threaded barrel with an o-ring to seal out escaping gasses. The one thing to get use to is the mag release, push down not in to release. I love both my USPs, got a USP 40 V1 factory 3 dot sights, and a USP 45 LEM trigger and trijicon night sights. Both are accurate, and neither have made me question them. If you can get past the $2300 price of the Mk 23 then go for it.

I think the Mk23 is a vast improvement over the Desert Eagle .44 Mag. However, you should look at the new FN 45 Tactical as well if you're in the market for a battle pistol. You get many of the same options (threaded barrel, hi mag capacity, raised target sights, etc) but at a much lower price at around $1050. Check it out before you drop the coin.

DE44 vs MK23......I side with the MK23.

That said get what u want, I just shot mine suppressed this weekend. Worth every penny.

I will start by saying that I own a USPC 9mm. Having held the MK23 I can agree with the massiveness of the weapon. I would personally look into one of their other offerings for practicality. However, if you are going for the CDI factor it is the one to get. Between the DE and the HK I vote HK.

Josh

I ran one after the SEALs dumped all theirs to the SBU/SBR's.

3 Down Checks
1. HUGE
2. Heavy
3. As the mag runs dry the weapon becomes less and less controllable in rapid fire. More obvious in this platform than any other pistol I've shot before or since.

Up Checks
1. Longer sight radius improves aiming (See DC#1)
2. Great trigger
3. Nice controls (Mag button takes some training)
4. Accurate as all get out
5. Laser, light IR accessory is top notch but adds MORE weight but assists in control when the mag runs dry.
6. Excellent can wet or dry (see comment above on control)

It is IMHO a backpack or bag gun. Wearing one on your thigh or hip will HURT at the end of the day. It is a very pleasant pistol to shoot recoil wise but it does sit a bit tall in the hand adding to the "flippyness" on a near empty mag. It has a huge CDI factor but limited practicality IMHO as the .45 is marginal for deer and other critters normally taken w/ handguns. not a CCW weapon.

YRMV, IMHO, etc.....

Cheers,

Doc

I have a sig p226 in addition to my DE which is better sized for carrying. And I've thought of the USP tactical as well. But if I can get a really good deal on a mk 23, it seems like I should buy that instead? Definitely has the cool factor like the DE...though I'm sure it'll fall way short of the 44 thunder.

Money aside...if you could have an HK USP or MK 23...which would you pick? I'll just be shooting at the range, but I like weapons with a purpose. In this case, I'm looking for a tactical/battle pistol.

Also, what militaries/LEO organizations use the MK23 if the SEALs no longer are?

Think, do you really need a "tactical/battle" pistol for the range? I have a Mk23 with a KAC can, and other than how nicely it has appreciated (I bought the Mk23 for 1400 a few years ago), and how "sexy" it is (covers all the naughty parts in boudoir photos), there is nothing "practical" about it. Its huge & heavy for just a 12+1 capacity.

Unless you're buying it to fill out an H&K collection, or using it to pick up chicks at the range, its overkill.

i do not like the mk23, great shooting gun but with supressor you might as well have a m4 its so long.

UKDSlayer,

By "practical", I really meant a gun with a purpose that excels at that purpose. I don't "need" any guns, but I like them and I like those that excel for their intended purpose. As an example, I'd like an MP5 as it is an excellent entry/CQB gun. Clearly I have no real need for it and would never use it for its intended purpose, but that's besides the point. And on the other side...while I think a semi auto sp89 is a cool looking gun...it's even more useless than the desert eagle...so I really have no desire to own one.

That said, would those of you with the experience say the HK USP tactical is better than the Mk23?

Owning a HK Mk23, I can tell you this gun is made for a lifetime. I sadly do not have the option to shoot with a suppressor nor with LAM/Light, but with over 3000 rounds and not a single jam/malfunction and a good accuracy, I'd say the Mk23 is worth the money.

I got bigger hands than the common folk, so size is not that much of a factor for me, however, the mag release can be a PITA if you have to quickly change magazines as a high grip will block the mag release.

Recoil, for a .45ACP, is fairly low, compared to the USP .45 (or any other "short/light .45) it shoots like a 9x19mm.

With a flash hider/compensator, it does not kick a lot, either. As I mentioned above, I can't tell you anything about shooting suppressed. That, however, would be the icing on the cake for me.

The only pistol I would buy as a companion to the Brick would be a fancy 1911, just for contrast. All-black guns are not quite an eye-catcher and the grip on a 1911 is not to compare with anything else I had in my hands, including all models made by SIG and a good amount of Glocks.

The MK23 is a NICE weapon and does not use MIM parts from India (literally) like SIG does (I like my older German SIGS 220, 226, etc. but not the Exeter ones, etc.). THe MK23 is a HEAVY weapon, but reliable, accurate, and the trigger is GREAT.

The HK Mk23 is a BEAST! As stated it is a very large weapon. Everyone has already stated the drawbacks. The upside to it? It is one of the most reliable, dependable, accurate pistols to have ever been developed. Have you looked at the testing that was done to the Mk23? Have you looked up what it has accomplished as an "offensive pistol"? The USP Tactical is almost every bit if not as good. It has passed all of the same tests as the Mk23, and provides all of the accuracy and reliability of the Mk23, but in a slightly smaller and less expensive package. The Tactical series still comes with the threaded barrel with O-ring, Match trigger, and adjustable sights. And it has the same controls as the standard USP. Parts are more readily available for the Tactical and you can add ambi levers, change the trigger, or change out the sights. Mags are cheaper as well. I love my Tactical, if I had to choose between the 2 I would pick the tactical any day. Have you checked out the Compact Tactical? Sometimes used by operators in place of the Mk23. Since not everyone can hold on to the Mk23, they use the CT instead.

anyone use a LAM on their MK23? i haven't even bought one yet and already thinking of ways to accesorize...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Millsd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had one of these in my hands for the first time today. Perhaps not as ergonomic as my p226, but defintely feels good. The only thing that bothered me was the ergonomics of the safety. Anyone here own one of these that can provide feedback on whether or not you'd recommend it? I'd be selling my Desert Eagle .44 to buy one as it seems like a more "practical" gun. And in particular, I'd like feedback on the safety and decocking mechanism. </div></div>
i have almost always used my mk23 on duty.....i have never had a jam, not so much as even a stove pipe.....my only bitch about it is finding a decent light bearing holster...

yeah, id ditch the DE 44 for the HK

bench

benchmstr...what is "on duty" for you? Just curious in what capacity it's being used. thx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Millsd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">benchmstr...what is "on duty" for you? Just curious in what capacity it's being used. thx </div></div>
just your standard patrol, and swat....a few hurrican duties....it has spent a lot of time under water while riding on the duty belt
grin.gif

bench

Seeing as you have a DE you already know what bad Ergo is on a handgun. One thing about the MK23 that has teh DE beat is the fact that if you don't want to run a cocked and locked scenario you can run teh gun decocked and come out with the 1st round in double action. The Mk23 wont even let you turn the safety on when the gun is decocked.

I have 2 Mk23's and 4 DE's. I've run lots of rounds through both platforms and can say they both have pros and cons as all weapons do. The capacity the DE looses is gained in the power of the cartridge. But for this comparison 7 rounds of .44 trumps 12 rounds of 45. Unfortunatly this isnt the only catagory that needs to be addressed. From an accuracy standpoint I would say it is a draw. With the fixed barrel design of the De and the right load that gun is as much a tack driver as teh MK23! The issue comes into play that not many are proficient MAGNUM gun shooters to see that accuracy. Otherwise teh buck stops there.

++ The MK23 offers the option of double or single action, the DE doesnt.

++ The MK23 can be decocked and run double action or cocked and locked, the DE cant

++ The Mk23 is supressor ready by design, the DE isnt although I have seen suppresed one ($$$$)

++ The Mk23's recoils system is bar none, the DE requires some muscle

++ the Mk23 is LAM ready, the DE ( depending on MkVII or XIX) is optics ready

++ Both have poly barrels

Tuff choices......... now you know why I have so many!!

Base your choice on what you need and or what you want. The CDI factor shouldnt be a factor uless your a 21 year old with a little dick that wants to impress some. And if that's teh case... Buy a Corvette!
smile.gif

At the end of the day though, If I could only have 1.. I'd be running a MK23.

I have a mk23 and a usp tactical. mk23 has a silent decock compared to tactical. But I can decock the tactical just as quiet. Personaly I wish I wouldn't have bought the mk23. I love it but my usp tactical is just as good and should do anything the socom will do. Save some bucks and go with the USP TACTICAL!!!

Clearly you should go with what your gut says (sounds like Mk 23 to me
smile.gif
).

For my own $0.02, have fired a number of USPs and have handled a Mk23. Like everyone else has attested, I was shocked by how large it was for a .45. Not ergonomic at all for me (I'm about average size - 5'10, 160lbs.)

But, with the right means, I would totally get one to "round out" the collection. Get what you want - looking for approval on the internet ends up being a fool's errand nine times out of 10
smile.gif
. You know deep down what you want. Go for it.

Millsd,

Everybody has their own ideas of the "perfect" practical 45 for them. If the HK MK 23 is calling you then buy it. But it is a very specialized piece of hardware. Consider how you will be using it, and not the WoW factor.

I've handled and shot an HK MK 23, but this is what I bought:

1530345_sig220ss45_leh_1l.jpg

Plain and simple Sig P220 ST.

Good Luck,

Bob

Nice Bob. I already have a Sig p226 though, so definitely not looking for another Sig.

If you ever make it up to Dallas you can feel free to check out my USP Tactical .40. Did you look at the USP CT yet?

BigBoss,

Thanks for the offer. A local friend of mine actually has a USP .40...and I'm borrowing it this weekend. I guess I'll see very soon if I like it or not.

By the way a little off topic but you guys in Austin are some lucky devils. Formula 1 racing is coming back to America and the FIA picked Austin as the place for the big return. For the next 10 years you guys are going to have an annual race. I will be going to every one. Go Ferrari!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBoss0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is my dream to one day be able to fire weapons from my back porch. </div></div>

It's awesome,no bullshit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Millsd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had one of these in my hands for the first time today. Perhaps not as ergonomic as my p226, but defintely feels good. The only thing that bothered me was the ergonomics of the safety. Anyone here own one of these that can provide feedback on whether or not you'd recommend it? I'd be selling my Desert Eagle .44 to buy one as it seems like a more "practical" gun. And in particular, I'd like feedback on the safety and decocking mechanism. </div></div>

There is nothing practical about the mark 23.

The fact you even own a Desert Eagle tells me a couple things.

You either have no clue what a good firearm is, or you have everything else already.

no doubt that the Mk23 is a great pistol, but I would go with a Usp Tactical, I think that it is around a 1000 price difference, with that you could put the $$ towards a can.

There is always the option of the USP Custom Combat. it has Novak's FO sight up fromt and a blackout rear sight. Add the Jarvis threaded barrel and you an come close to the Tactical model without paying out the ass for it.

there are only a few little quirks about the Tactical that draws the line between the two like lighter match style trigger and loaded chamber indicator to name a couple. Then its just personal pref.

you can find the CC's in between 650-900 depending on the area you are in and who feels like price gouging,

Bryan

Trebek,

Did your mommy buy you a magic 8 ball to make such quick judgement with no knowledge?

hehe...ok, not trying to start something here, but why not be useful and give me your pick for a quality gun with good appreciation potential that's fun to shoot. I'm leaning to HK as I've owned HK and they are SOLID guns...but I'm open to other ideas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Millsd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trebek,

Did your mommy buy you a magic 8 ball to make such quick judgement with no knowledge?

hehe...ok, not trying to start something here, but why not be useful and give me your pick for a quality gun with good appreciation potential that's fun to shoot. I'm leaning to HK as I've owned HK and they are SOLID guns...but I'm open to other ideas.

</div></div>

alright alright. I'll try to be more useful here.

Lesson one.

Most guns never appreciate, matter of fact they usually depreciate very quickly, especially if you shoot it. If you want the slightest chance of owning a firearm that will actually appreciate in value buy something rare, never shoot it, and stick it in the safe.

And my magic 8 ball is usually spot on. Since the only people I've ever met that owned Desert Eagle's were tools.
So my comment was based on experience!

I guess I must be one very lucky gun buyer as I've made money on virtually every one of the dozens of firearms I've bought and sold from jr high to 20+ years later. Buy quality...and buy at the right price. Just thinking...I'm awaiting my new DTA SRS 338 + 308. I put my order in just over a month ago and immediately following they raised prices by ~15%...luck strikes again:)

Admitedly though...I bought the DE when I was in my young 20's and got it because it was big, cool, and powerful. Some fresh butter bars get a new sports car...I got a couple of loud guns. No regrets though as it's been fun to shoot much as playing with the m100's back as a kid...and I'll make money selling it.

Ok...I'm off to shoot a friend's HK USP and my Sig p226 with the wife tomorrow. That'll give me a better idea of how I like the HK USP pistols. P30 looks really nice as well, so I may have to give that some thought too.

I had the p30L, and wasn't too impressed by it. Compared to HK's newer HK45 the recoil of the 9mm p30 absolutely sucked. I wouldn't say it hurt but for shooting 9mm it was more than noticable. On the other hand, The hk45 is imho is the best all around production handgun one can buy. Recoil management, accuracy, size, ease of cleaning, adj grips, barrel life, controls on the weapon etc...Basically, it has almost everything good from Hk entire line rolled into one kickass piece.

hmmmm...hk45T. Now we're getting somewhere. Didn't realize the hk45 had a tactical model with threaded barrel, but that's definitely appealing as the ergonomics of that gun are superb! Can I get an HK45T? I don't see it on their website, but saw it on wikipedia...so it's gotta exist, right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the p30L, and wasn't too impressed by it. Compared to HK's newer HK45 the recoil of the 9mm p30 absolutely sucked. I wouldn't say it hurt but for shooting 9mm it was more than noticable. On the other hand, The hk45 is imho is the best all around production handgun one can buy. Recoil management, accuracy, size, ease of cleaning, adj grips, barrel life, controls on the weapon etc...Basically, it has almost everything good from Hk entire line rolled into one kickass piece. </div></div>

Kind of comparing apples to oranges don't you think? a 45 to a 9mm

it's big.
it's built like a tank.
it's cool
it's a crowd pleaser
it's very accurate
if you run out of ammo you can beat the shit out of someone with it. 1

I believe BachelorJack has a USP Tac .45 for sale here. It's even one of the rarer tan lower one's. Tac .45's are pretty plentiful in all black. Jump on the HKpro forum for more info. You can even buy a threaded barrel and suppressor sights for the new HK45.

YMT
your absolutley right, and that was the point I was trying to make. My beretta 9mm was always a very soft shooting handgun. I was surprised that my hk45 (not USP) was just as smooth in terms of recoil management in a 45 cal. I picked up a P30L (though the slide wasn't really that long, but anyway) fully expecting the recoil would be less than that of the 45 and it was quite the opposite. it didn't hurt, but it was definitley uncomfortable. Maybe unrealistic expectations on my part, but the newer HK45 is damn nice to shoot and own. There are threaded barrels availible for it, just a bit difficult to track down. the hk45compact is only slightly smaller in the grip whch is another reason I opted for the reg size. No one gun is for everybody, but the hk45 sure comes close.

actually come to think of it, I always shot a brig slide on the gsd. i'm sure that extra weight would have helped, but still doesn't change the fact the Hk p30 was less than overwhelming

Bob,

Not quite...I'm looking for an HK45T...not HK USP Tactical. I don't even know if they sell them in the US (or anywhere). I just saw that model option on wikipedia and it caught my interest as I do like the HK45 from an ergonomics perspective.

SRT...are you aware of HK45T's being sold in the US? You mention you can get a threaded barrel, but not sure if you meant as the HK45T or just buying anew barrel for the HK45?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Millsd,

Is this what your looking for?

Bud's Gun Shop- H&K 45 Tactical

Bob </div></div>

That's a USP tactical, not an HK45T. I have yet to see an HK45T in person, but I saw a link to a threaded barrel for an HK45. I have a USP, USP tactical and an HK45. The HK45 is kind of a mix between a 1911 and a USP. Larry Vickers had input into it's design so that's no suprise to me..