• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Hk Socom Owners

Firemarshall27

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2003
Stoutsville, Ohio,
I am going to picking one of these pistols up this weekend just wanted to see what some owners thought on it were any info is good info.

thamks, FM

Re: Hk Socom Owners

Got one and love it. Big hands = big gun.

I use Remington UMC 230 grain MC with pretty good results.

After around 3k rounds, I had to change the O-ring on the barrel. Did not shoot it after that replacement (a few days ago).

Keep the barrel slightly lubricated with a synthetic oil like Break Free. It might slow down the wear on the black finish. However, the maritime finish, as HK calls it, is apprently still there.

Jack - are you saying there is something intrinsic to these that makes them head and shoulders above a standard HK .45 ACP to suppress?

I already have the suppressor for it in the works so theres that and for the Hk45C I already have one well my wife does its her CC gun. I have just always had a fasenation with the Socom for some reason I just always wanted one sence the first time I saw one probley 4-5 years ago at a gun show and never really had the funds to get one till now.

accsessories are hard to come by and EXPENSIVE.but it is a fun gun supressed. too much water and youll get a facefull.

I owned one for a time about seven years ago. For me, it was simply too large a tool for what it was capable of.

The Tactical version will very much do everything that the MK 23 does, without the weight. You need to ask yourself the question what application do you have for it? Are you seriously going to shoot a target at long range (taking out sentry) under suppressed condition? or are you just goingto have it because of the "want one" factor. It is extremely accurate. There is no doubt about that. But it is heavier than hell. If you need an extra boat anchor, it will qualify as one. It has the same capacity as the Tactical cousin, but weight subtantially more. You can shoot competition with the Tactical version just as effective. JMHO.

Gonna get a trpod for it as well as the AA(anti-aircraft) sights,LOL.Ive always wanted one as well,if I had 2K to just blow like that I would.When you get it give us some pics if'n you dont mind.The fascination for this gun still exists.

The first time I received one for transfer I could not get over how fucking big it was, it's like a Desert Eagle with a lot more CDI factor.

To complete the look you need to get a Knights Armament Can for it, absolutely quadruples the CDI factor.

Scott

KnobCreekMarch2008057.jpg

KnobCreekMarch2008056.jpg

+1 for whoever said Tactical.

Ive used both the Tactical and the Mark 23. The Tactical is just as good of a weapon for practical purposes, almost as accurate**, sounds the same with a can on it, etc.

**Neither are not plinking/dicking off weapons. If thats what youre expecting, you'll be disappointed. They are not competition weapons either. But, they will shoot Minute of Gnats Ass.

After having carried both, I prefer the Tactical. (Half the price is nice too)

I make mention of what it isnt, simply because it's fresh on my mind. Some idiot showed up to the range the other day with a Tactical that he'd just bought. He was all upset that it didnt feel like his target pistol. (A Colt Woodsman) He said something along the lines of, "I knew it would kick more, but it just feels...I dunno, different."

Cool second shot photo...If you have huge hands, use it, they should feel at home with the SOCOM.......I have the USP Tactical and I wish it was a touch smaller but no real complaints. If war broke out and I had to pick a "battle pistol" that's it....Sweet pistol. Enjoy it, it is made like a Porsche tank..SmokeRolls

The HK SOCOM is the finest pistol I ever shot. Amazingly accurate, extremely reliable and easy to maintain.

It's very big, not as easy to carry (in relation to size) as a full size 1911 or a double stack Para Ordnance P-14, but much lighter than the Desert Eagle .50 AE.

If I had to pick just one pistol to carry, even though it is the size of a hog's leg, I'd pick the HK SOCOM/Mark 23. For me, it is the way to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jack - are you saying there is something intrinsic to these that makes them head and shoulders above a standard HK .45 ACP to suppress? </div></div>
Yes.

I'm going to first assume you are aware with the reasons HK pistols are superior suppressor hosts when compared to other models by other companies.

The mk23 as a suppressor host is fine because when you are running a 7 inch suppressor on the front you are no longer concerned with size. The extra barrel length maximizes muzzle velocity and allows you take advantage of the MK23's accuracy at longer than normal pistol ranges.

If you have had the opportunity to shoot scoped rifles in 45acp you will soon realize the MK23 is capable of the same accuracy, easily hitting 2X4's at 100yds. I have never seen a HK tactical that could do this.

A suppressor negates muzzle fip to nothing, even more so than the same suppressor on a HK tactical. The longer barrel on the MK23 also yields lower DB numbers and a quieter possible sound signature. Anyone who says it sounds the same has not been privy to side by side testing. They also have not had an actual meter or three handy either.

As a suppressed pistol the MK23 has merit. Without the suppressor it's a handgun as big as the Desert Eagle with no benefit.

Ive tagged bowling pins at 100 with a tactical. It can be done. (There is a little more holdover involved than with a 23, I'll give you that.)

i've had a pile of auto pistols, but i pretty much trust the Mk 23 above anything else i've handled. this is an offensive pistol and not a defensive pistol, thus no effort was made to go small/light. sort of like the next step down from M4.

but night sights are hard to get

mine gives me the warm fuzzies when i gotta go make noises in the night stop.

The CT is a nice gun, but it's no better than the USP Compact 45. If you aren't going to shoot with a can, then there is no advantage at all with the CT over the USP Compact 45

but the Compact is kind of the polar opposite of the Mk23

my .02 anyhoo

For as much thought that went into it, I have been surprised and appalled with what I think is an atrocious trigger pull.
Some folks I have worked with had them and were less than happy with its ginormous size and were jealous of our USP tacticals.
Accurate though.

Sold my MK23 Kept my USPs. Good news is MK23 retains value well, so if you decide it is not for you, you do recoup most of your $$$.

MK23USP.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm going to first assume you are aware with the reasons HK pistols are superior suppressor hosts when compared to other models by other companies.
</div></div>

Enlighten us morons.

I'm still working on getting the rifle suppressors I want, but can see myself getting a pistol suppressor at some point. To date the only suppressed pistol I've shot was a HK.

In the words of Ferris Bueller:

<span style="font-style: italic">"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.</span>

I mean, it's a range toy..........it's not you are strapping this to your hip in 5 mile walks.

It's the better choice IMHO, the Tactical was designed from the MK23, the can was built for the MK23.

The entire platform was meant for the MK23.

mark23suppressedrightkr4.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Enlighten us morons.

I'm still working on getting the rifle suppressors I want, but can see myself getting a pistol suppressor at some point. To date the only suppressed pistol I've shot was a HK. </div></div>

From Silencertests.com:

Renegade

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was there. It was 131 Wet, 137 Dry on a Mark 23 with AE. I was a little stunned when I heard it, it was so quiet.</div></div>

Kevin, Owner of Advanced Armament Corp:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really enjoy my KAC .45 silencer. It is certainly one of the best silencers ever produced.</div></div>

&

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The KAC MK23 silencer is hearing safe (dry) on the MK23</div></div>

Trey Knight, owner of Knight's Armament:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The heavier slide and long lock up time is what makes the Mk-23 quieter than the USP.</div></div>

Tank from silencertest, quoting an Al Paulson review of the can on a Tactical:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Paulson metered one in recently in a gun rag. It metered as the quietest dry (by 1-2 dB) out of a test of the CCF, KAC, and AAC EVO. Wet it came in second to the CCF by 1 dB and was ahead of the EVO by 1 dB.

All of the cans were very close, as in statistically insignificant differences, at least as far as objective dB ratings are concerned. The numbers were something like 21 db dry and 32 Db wet for all of the cans +/- 1 or 2.

Paulson did have a cool chart that showed % shots not hearing safe for the test, and the KAC led the pack for hearing safety with only 20% of its dry shots exceeding the hearing safe dB limit. The others did much worse, but 20% is still enough to make it not really hearing safe anyway. </div></div>

Range toy my butt. Ive carried one a lot farther than 5 miles. +1 on everything else you said.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive tagged bowling pins at 100 with a tactical. It can be done. (There is a little more holdover involved than with a 23, I'll give you that.)</div></div>

This guy is fucking painful to watch. He obviously bought it for the wow factor and to listen to it make noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQcDTLfhYYs&feature=related

Jesus. That guys more f'ed up than a football bat.

That is friggin pathetic.

I realize 'it's the Indian, not the arrow', but that's not a video that'd I'd think HK would want out there!

My father was an HK rep when I was a teenager so I am obviously an HK nut... I own the Mark23, USP tactical, the compact, as well as others. The Mark23 is a flagship for the collector. Not my preferance for personal protection. It does have a stovepipe effect on the poor bastard that winds up on the wrong end though. The Mark23 is fun to shoot, is extremely accurate, and extremely dependable. If I were getting battle ready, The Mark23 would be my primary handgun. However around the house and town it would be the USP or the compact.

Just to add to this thread What Is the best suppressor for the Socom? I will get pics up tomarow been real busy. And thanks to every one who replied to this thread you made my decision easy on weather to buy or not I was still kind of up in the air.

Honestly, anything that fits your budget. The 45ACP is an easy caliber to suppress. Of course most would be gung ho with Knights Armament.

Thats bc a lot of guys on here are name-brand whores. As he said, 45s pretty easy to supress. SAS does a good pistol can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats bc a lot of guys on here are name-brand whores. As he said, 45s pretty easy to supress. SAS does a good pistol can. </div></div>

FWIW people have actually metered the KAC.

Got any numbers on the SAS?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt.Dozer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Honestly, anything that fits your budget. The 45ACP is an easy caliber to suppress. Of course most would be gung ho with Knights Armament. </div></div>

I wouldn't say that.

The MK23 + KAC can is the only pistol + can combo in the 45.cal that I am aware of that meters hearing safe dry......

All of them are safe "wet".

Always has to be someone who choses to be the Devil's advocate. I know you shoot an HK as well as suppressed and quite worn, no offense, but I have shot alot of different cans on most all of my HKs dry and granted the KAC is a good can, but not for the price...The pistol itself has nothing notable to do with how well the firearm is silenced unless of coarse you are trying to suppress a revolver. Any can will be just fine...And yes I do shoot a Mark23...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt.Dozer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Always has to be someone who choses to be the Devil's advocate. I know you shoot an HK as well as suppressed and quite worn, no offense, but I have shot alot of different cans on most all of my HKs dry and granted the KAC is a good can, but not for the price...The pistol itself has nothing notable to do with how well the firearm is silenced unless of coarse you are trying to suppress a revolver. Any can will be just fine...And yes I do shoot a Mark23... </div></div>

The pistol has alot to do with it.

Trey Knight from KAC:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks. I actually worked on the USP CT pistol and I am familiar with the gun as well as USP and Mk-23 of course. <span style="font-weight: bold">They actually changed the USP CT lock up time to work better with a suppressor</span> . I think it is better to get the factory threaded gun and design the booster so that there are not any issues. The weight of our cans causes us to have to really pay attention to the lock up time. I will have to hunt down one of these pistols and check to make sure we have a piston that is properly tuned before I can say which can will work properly. <span style="font-weight: bold">HK really pays attention to the special needs of a suppressed pistol</span>. The Mk-23 may have bombed but we all learned a lot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Hushpuppy was based on wipe technology. The slide lock and QD mount were the real improvements on that technology. The Mk-23 represented the largest silencer development program KAC has ever been a part of. The repective weapons fill different requirements and are completely diff technology. <span style="font-weight: bold">The Mk-23 suppressor was and or is the most advanced pistol suppressor ever made. The nielson device or piston was designed with capabilities we nor anyone else had availible for a project of that size. All KAC suppressors owe something to the lessons learned during the Mk-23 development.</span> KAC was paid for the development but we invested large amounts of money as well. I don't know the finial number of pistols and suppressors were actually bought for the contract but I think it was arround 2000; hardly enough to cover those development costs. The M4-QD or NT4 has benn delivered in much higher numbers.
http://www.lawmens.net/</div></div>

Listen, I see you are one of the Gung Ho KAC fans and I understand you stand behind what you know, but do you have ears like a bat? Do you know how many decibals the alarm on a typical wrist-watch is? You can post quotes and links to all the test you want. It still does not prove you can actually hear the difference one 45acp over another 45acp has both silenced with the same can and shot with the same load. Go back and read what I posted...NOTABLE.... The difference in sound between one silencer to the next is so faint it does not justify the cost difference....However, the rate of fire and material does justify some expense, if you are shooting full auto... Another thing, the resale value sucks with a can.... Not much of a demand you know...Let me make this very clear... I am not knocking the KAC or any other brand, but I damn sure am not trying to shove their product down anyone's throat either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt.Dozer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The pistol itself has nothing notable to do with how well the firearm is silenced unless of coarse you are trying to suppress a revolver.</div></div>
Not a true statement at all. Some designs are inherently far better than others. The P9s was roller locked delayed similar to the MP5 series guns. They are intrinsically better hosts.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt.Dozer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any can will be just fine...</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt.Dozer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The difference in sound between one silencer to the next is so faint it does not justify the cost difference</div></div>
Not a true statement. Some cans are complete crap. This just shows you have very limited experience with what is out there. From a design standpoint and construction point the KAC suppressor is worth the added expense on these points alone.

And for the record, I do not own a KAC suppressor. Nor would it be my first choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt.Dozer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The pistol itself has nothing notable to do with how well the firearm is silenced unless of coarse you are trying to suppress a revolver.</div></div>
Not a true statement at all. Some designs are inherently far better than others. The P9s was roller locked delayed similar to the MP5 series guns. They are intrinsically better hosts.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt.Dozer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any can will be just fine...</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt.Dozer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The difference in sound between one silencer to the next is so faint it does not justify the cost difference</div></div>
Not a true statement. Some cans are complete crap. This just shows you have very limited experience with what is out there. From a design standpoint and construction point the KAC suppressor is worth the added expense on these points alone.

And for the record, I do not own a KAC suppressor. Nor would it be my first choice.
</div></div>
Another one? I am not going to try and convince you what to or not to buy, only to help you make a more sound purchase....And that is part of the point I was trying to make all along. My experience? LMAO To further my point, a ticking wristwatch is 20dB. Now compare that with the different test from one suppressor to the next.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt.Dozer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Listen, I see you are one of the Gung Ho KAC fans and I understand you stand behind what you know, but do you have ears like a bat? Do you know how many decibals the alarm on a typical wrist-watch is? You can post quotes and links to all the test you want. It still does not prove you can actually hear the difference one 45acp over another 45acp has both silenced with the same can and shot with the same load. Go back and read what I posted...NOTABLE.... The difference in sound between one silencer to the next is so faint it does not justify the cost difference....However, the rate of fire and material does justify some expense, if you are shooting full auto... Another thing, the resale value sucks with a can.... Not much of a demand you know...Let me make this very clear... I am not knocking the KAC or any other brand, but I damn sure am not trying to shove their product down anyone's throat either. </div></div>

We aren't talking full-atuo here.This thread is about MK23 and silencers for it.

I have one KAC can, the MK23 can. I don't plan to buy anymore and am not a KAC fanboy in any sense of the word. Also KAC item retain much of thier value. It's one of the few cans that is easy to sell on the secondary market, unlike other 45 cans.

With sound testing 3db is 2X as loud. KAC MK23 can is at least 3-6db better than other 45 cans from sound meter tests I have read.

FWIW I simply want people to know buy once cry once.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt.Dozer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt.Dozer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The pistol itself has nothing notable to do with how well the firearm is silenced unless of coarse you are trying to suppress a revolver.</div></div>

</div></div>
Another one? I am not going to try and convince you what to or not to buy, only to help you make a more sound purchase....And that is part of the point I was trying to make all along. My experience? LMAO To further my point, a ticking wristwatch is 20dB. Now compare that with the different test from one suppressor to the next. </div></div>

If you were being honest, you'd recommend the can that was specifically designed for the weapon in question.

sentinel1.jpg

sentinel2.jpg

sentinel3.jpg