• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HK SR9T

Nik H

Constantly Learning
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2014
    Small town New England
    HK SR9T at the Range.jpg

So I have owned this rifle since I purchased it new in 1994. I have never fired it because the original forearm could not accommodate a bipod and the available scope mounts placed the optic in a position that was impossible to get proper eye alignment (at least for me). Thought about selling it a number of times but I decided to keep it and figure out a solution to both issues. BT in Switzerland finally solved the scope issue and another company provided a compatible forearm assembly that could accept the ATLAS. I got the parts a week or so ago.

Lots of angst about how it would shoot. I am happy to say that it was a fun day. I threw on a spare SS 3-15 and fired 20 rounds of FGMM 175 grain ammo. It was grouping slightly less than 1 MOA! Next time, I will shoot from prone and dial it in.

I bought a regular HK91 back in 1982 (paid $459 for it). I installed a Swarovski ZF 6x42 STANAG scope via ARMS claw mount, and an HK21 butt pad. It was a sub moa shooter with factory Winchester hunting ammo.

I ended up trading it for a new FN FNC, and kept the scope/mount. Later sold the scope/mount for a huge sum when everyone wanted to build a PSG1 clone.

The only thing I hated about the rifle was that stock hump right behind the receiver. It would bump my glasses up during every shot. Later on I came across, and should have bought a Nigerian HK stock set (FAL pattern), as they were more ergonomic.

Have had numerous HK93s also, but they're all gone now.

I bought a regular HK91 back in 1982 (paid $459 for it). I installed a Swarovski ZF 6x42 STANAG scope via ARMS claw mount, and an HK21 butt pad. It was a sub moa shooter with factory Winchester hunting ammo.

I ended up trading it for a new FN FNC, and kept the scope/mount. Later sold the scope/mount for a huge sum when everyone wanted to build a PSG1 clone.

The only thing I hated about the rifle was that stock hump right behind the receiver. It would bump my glasses up during every shot. Later on I came across, and should have bought a Nigerian HK stock set (FAL pattern), as they were more ergonomic.

Have had numerous HK93s also, but they're all gone now.
    That ARMS claw mount is an abomination. I still have the one I bought. Not sure if they are worth anything now that you can get a high quality, low profile rail system from BT.

The stock hump is called the jaw breaker or chin breaker as I recall. The MSG90 stock doesn't have the issue even though the hump is still there because your head is resting on a cheekpiece

Reactions: Alpine 338
    That is a sexy beast right there!!! Oh to have bought some of the stuff that was at gun shows in 1988... But I was a poor back then.

$500 AUG's... SP89's for $500. HK's for $500.

Well, woulda coulda shoulda!

Sirhr
    Thanks

I bought two SP89s and an HK 93 that I still also have. Total cost was about $1,600 if I remember correctly.

I have other woulda coulda shoulda firearms though

Last edited:
    Ah memories of the early 90’s where the only choices for a .308 semi auto rifle were FAL, M1A or HK91

I had a HK SR9, added factory wood target grip, 91 stock with adj cheek riser, and a Williams set trigger modification . Looked awesome, shot mediocre, and was the only rifle to give me a scope cut eyebrow from recoil (you learn a lot of lessons in your early 20’s). Kind of a Pain in the rear to clean and dented brass bad enough to be unreloadable. But it was a lot of fun to shoot and always started conversations. Sold it for a minor profit back in 2016 to a lgs. They put it on display, not for sale, so it’s kind of cool to go in there and see occasionally to this day.

That rifle was very user dependent on proper technique. I put a bore sighter/collimnator put it on mine and was able to move the scope reticle around a few squares by applying slight twisting torque to the pistol grip. Reticle also moved with heavy loading on the bipod. HK knew this was a problem for a precision rig and addressed it on the PSG-1 by welding steel strips on each side of the receiver to stiffen it and eliminate flex in the stamped assembly.

Ah memories of the early 90’s where the only choices for a .308 semi auto rifle were FAL, M1A or HK91

I had a HK SR9, added factory wood target grip, 91 stock with adj cheek riser, and a Williams set trigger modification . Looked awesome, shot mediocre, and was the only rifle to give me a scope cut eyebrow from recoil (you learn a lot of lessons in your early 20’s). Kind of a Pain in the rear to clean and dented brass bad enough to be unreloadable. But it was a lot of fun to shoot and always started conversations. Sold it for a minor profit back in 2016 to a lgs. They put it on display, not for sale, so it’s kind of cool to go in there and see occasionally to this day.

That rifle was very user dependent on proper technique. I put a bore sighter/collimnator put it on mine and was able to move the scope reticle around a few squares by applying slight twisting torque to the pistol grip. Reticle also moved with heavy loading on the bipod. HK knew this was a problem for a precision rig and addressed it on the PSG-1 by welding steel strips on each side of the receiver to stiffen it and eliminate flex in the stamped assembly.
    I didn't find the recoil all that bad at all. I would assume that the scope cut was a result of the "claw" mount which was a fundamental reason I never shot this rifle in all of the years I owned it. The B&T rail and Badger mount gave me great eye relief. It also prevents the reticle walk you discussed because it is a machined piece of thick aluminum. It provides a clamping force along the top surface of the stamped receiver to prevent flex. The groups I shot today were averaging about 0.85 MOA which is mediocre for a bolt gun but not bad for a semi. I am actually looking forward to shooting it prone against my KAC and Larue AR10s. I think the PSG-1 trigger is hugely better than the stock trigger. I have heard that the Williams set triggers were even better. Would love to try that out.

I agree that cleaning seems like a bitch compared to AR rifles but haven't tried it yet. The roller system certainly destroys brass but that isn't a biggie for me as I only shoot factory.

All in all, I enjoyed shooting it and will continue to do so. SR9Ts sell for 3-4X what I paid for it in 1994 so that is nice as well but meaningless as I don't intend to sell it.

Pics from just before selling it. One at home, one on the lgs counter. Originally came with the “foam” enclosed stock and forearm, replaced those with real HK wide forearm and adj cheek stock. Think it was a GG&G claw mount with a Springfield Armory 1st gen scope 4-14x w/internal level, illumination and rangefinding reticle, lol. It’s neat to see it on display once or twice a year when I go into that shop. Reality was that I hadn’t shot it in 24+ years and it filled no purpose with my current matches and just was a safe queen. Now ppl get to look at it and it is in good company as it sits next to a bonifide PSG-1 on the display shelf.
    7E75ECDD-1BA4-4D72-80A4-53EB22E6B926.jpeg
    C1C8FAB5-12E0-41E5-8AD8-61CA4077A230.jpeg

Pics from just before selling it. One at home, one on the lgs counter. Originally came with the “foam” enclosed stock and forearm, replaced those with real HK wide forearm and adj cheek stock. Think it was a GG&G claw mount with a Springfield Armory 1st gen scope 4-14x w/internal level, illumination and rangefinding reticle, lol. It’s neat to see it on display once or twice a year when I go into that shop. Reality was that I hadn’t shot it in 24+ years and it filled no purpose with my current matches and just was a safe queen. Now ppl get to look at it and it is in good company as it sits next to a bonifide PSG-1 on the display shelf.
    View attachment 7829186View attachment 7829187
    That claw type scope mount in your top picture is the one!! Whatever engineer thought that one up should have had his head examined..I keep the one I have for nostalgia sake.

I didn't find the recoil all that bad at all. I would assume that the scope cut was a result of the "claw" mount which was a fundamental reason I never shot this rifle in all of the years I owned it. The B&T rail and Badger mount gave me great eye relief. It also prevents the reticle walk you discussed because it is a machined piece of thick aluminum. It provides a clamping force along the top surface of the stamped receiver to prevent flex. The groups I shot today were averaging about 0.85 MOA which is mediocre for a bolt gun but not bad for a semi. I am actually looking forward to shooting it prone against my KAC and Larue AR10s. I think the PSG-1 trigger is hugely better than the stock trigger. I have heard that the Williams set triggers were even better. Would love to try that out.

I agree that cleaning seems like a bitch compared to AR rifles but haven't tried it yet. The roller system certainly destroys brass but that isn't a biggie for me as I only shoot factory.

All in all, I enjoyed shooting it and will continue to do so. SR9Ts sell for 3-4X what I paid for it in 1994 so that is nice as well but meaningless as I don't i ntend to sell it.
    The worst part of cleaning a mod 91 or 93 to me was taking apart & cleaning the bolt assembly , THEN reassemble it to where the rollers are free again , esp oily ! There’s a helpful technique that makes it MUCH easier. Lots of sore fingers at first !

Reactions: Nik H
    I have SR9T that Turned into a TC by purchasing the PSG1 butstock when they were available back in the day. I replaced the horrible HK claw mount with a MFI Low Profile mount. Now has a Leupold Mark 6 1-6X scopre. With 168g SMK's usually shoots 0.8 moa sometimes better. Very happy with the changes I made.

I have SR9T that Turned into a TC by purchasing the PSG1 butstock when they were available back in the day. I replaced the horrible HK claw mount with a MFI Low Profile mount. Now has a Leupold Mark 6 1-6X scopre. With 168g SMK's usually shoots 0.8 moa sometimes better. Very happy with the changes I made.

What forearm with bipod is that?

The info here is really helpful. I had no idea that the hk claw scope mount attached to the receiver would change zero if you put a side load on the grip.

I recently replaced all my hk claw mounts with QD mounts.

you guys have restored my hk 91 faith. My 911 with 168 grain reloads 30 years ago matches the .80 MOA results shown.

may post some pictures here coming up….

That claw type scope mount in your top picture is the one!! Whatever engineer thought that one up should have had his head examined..I keep the one I have for nostalgia sake.

it was designed to allow the iron sights to be used while the scope was mounted. Hollow underneath. This was a battle rifle. Optics covered in mud you could use the iron sights.

It may but the stock on my SR9T has an adjustable cheekpiece so I didn't need that
    The adjustable lenght plus the raised center of the Spuhr‘s stock reduces the inherent muzzle rise in all the hk stocks. the Spuhr‘s center column allows use of the 21e extra long buffer. I have a sg1 stock and a A3 and the Spuhr is worth the investment for those three reasons. I also added a limbsaver buttstock pad to the Spuhr which required moving the adjustable stock farther forward.

so adjustable height. Three different cheek pieces. raised center of forces vector which reduces muzzle rise which allows control in FA and the adjustable length which allowed me to locate the various optics as needed in their mounts and then their position on the Spuhr top rail. Hakan fixed all the issues.

• Love
    The FAL shaped butt stocks were Namibian. They also had a unique Namibian forearm that was vented and had a heats shield. Those claw mounts were super expensive and over engineered.

Do ya know what HK stands for? High Kost $$$ HK is sure proud of its stuff.

Here is a not very good picture of my 911 with a arms #63 QD mount on the Spuhr top rail.

i have Another arms #63 QD mount with a set of weaver 6 point low mounts and a 5x25x50 vortex pst ll scope.

if i mount the vortex I change the Spuhr cheekpiece to their tallest one and even though the scope is 15 inches long it is high enough to clear the front sight and allow the charging handle to still be worked ok.

Attachments

• F958DF04-0504-46E4-B6FD-C402F8272C7E.jpeg
      F958DF04-0504-46E4-B6FD-C402F8272C7E.jpeg
      632.9 KB · Views: 104
    • 364F7399-B503-4600-A814-08BBA341B507.jpeg
      364F7399-B503-4600-A814-08BBA341B507.jpeg
      715 KB · Views: 87
    Last edited:
    Reactions: camocorvette
    I know but left much to be desired from an optics perspective
    The idea for the rifle originally was to be able to hit torso sized objects up to around 400 yards Iron sighted with m80 Nato ball ammo. Which it does as shipped.

Oh you want target precision? Ok. Trigger that will not pass the 6’ drop test is first. Second is match ammo. Third is an optic.

all three? All hk 90 series are MOA rifles as built. HK not clones. No idea on them.

my 911 had all three 30 years ago and i used a one inch tube shepherd dual reticle scope and 168 handloads and on a sight breeze afternoon shot less than MOA.

I put the rifle into the safe then and just pulled it out now to use the 30 year later technology

169 grain bullets , 5x25 scope. Better bipod. Better stock. Better recoil buffer. Better QD scope mount. Better top rail. Better light/laser with remote pad. Better forearm.

bet i can get to .75 MOA or better with the better BC 169 grain Sierra BTHP Match King. Reports are that they will stay supersonic past 1,000 yards.

all this from a 32 year old battle rifle. Sniper grade it turns out.

oh on the iron sights? I agreed somewhat on their lack of distance shooting ability.

WTS mentioned that the front sight pillars width was set to be a torso width at 75 yards. They suggested narrowing the width of the front sight s verticle pin. Which i did. Tried 1/3 less width in total. Good to 300 yards then the pin blocked the target view.

went to 1/3 the original width. That was good for well past 400 yards.

See my photos as the narrower front sight pin is visible.

easy to drive the pin out and remove the inner part of the sight. Circle with the pin sticking up.

one could have a stock width and a 2/3rd’s and a 1/3 width.

I also mount a vortex holo 1 MOA laser sight and a 6x vortex flip magnifier